Vacant as of 9/04
Lincoln Valley, ND is in Sheridan County, about 8 miles NE of McClusky. It is a true ghost town. It was said to be thriving in the 50’s, but by 1972, only one resident was left. It is empty now.
A huge thank you to Dale Hinsverk of Wahpeton for sending us a newspaper clipping from The Minot Daily News, August 22nd, 1970. The clipping is what allowed us to do the “Then and Now” animations.
Lincoln Valley was a primarily German and Russian settlement when it was founded in 1900 by George and Conrad C. Reiswig as Lincoln. In 1912 the name was changed to Lincoln Valley.
Lincoln Valley should be considered a dangerous town to investigate. There are open basements and wells everywhere, and very tall grass which makes it easy to tumble right into one.
source material – North Dakota Place Names by Douglas A. Wick
Lincoln Valley Then and Now
Above is the former home of the Opp family, who according to a site visitor, just packed up and left one day, leaving most of their possessions behind. For many years, this photo has been (and continues to be) an icon of our website and our passion. This photo is emblematic of all that GND is and aspires to be. So with sadness we say, this house is no longer standing. It was razed due to safety concerns in 2009.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC