Mose, North Dakota
Vacant as of 10/04
Mose, North Dakota is a true ghost town in Griggs County, about forty miles southeast of Devils Lake. It was also known as Florence and Lewis prior to 1904. On Halloween 1904, it was renamed Mose in honor of a local lumberyard employee. It’s peak population is said to have been 25.
Mose was particularly hard hit by a tornado, hence the sign at the entrance to the town. Most of the townsite is on private property which is well posted. The old home shown here appears to be the only original structure remaining on the town site.
Our expedition to Mose ended up being a little more eventful than we would have liked. Due to our poor planning, we found ourselves in the middle of an abandoned town during opening weekend of deer hunting season. And with no blaze orange to alert the hunters to our presence. After hearing several rifle shots in the distance, Terry resorted to using the rainbow umbrella from his trunk to make himself visible to any prospective hunter who might think he was venison.
To further put a scare into us, on our way out of Mose, a carload of hunters zoomed off the shoulder of the road right into our path without looking. It took a little Hollywood stunt driving to avoid a bad accident.
Ghost town hunting during deer hunting season is bad.
CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC