Inhabited as of 10/04
Juanita was founded along the Great Northern Railroad Line in 1911. It was originally named “Wanitah”, a native american word of unknown meaning, but later renamed by town planners with the Spanish spelling.
It reached a peak poulation of 150 in 1920. It’s present population is probably around five to ten.
Juanita did have a fairly impressive stone school building, however it appeared to be in use by one of the town’s residents and we chose not to photograph it for privacy’s sake.
There was also a big dog running loose which made our visit a quick one!
There were quite a few empty homes in Juanita and the landscape is severely overgrown. From one home, only the chimney was visible through the trees.
Other than the homes, the school building is the only structure still standing in Juanita.
CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE