Straubville, North Dakota

Straubville, ND

Sargent County
Vacant as of 5/05

Straubville is in the extreme southeastern part of North Dakota, near the border with South Dakota. It was named for the first settler, Joseph W. Straub, who donated ten acres for the town site, in 1883. A Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1886, and population peaked at 40.

It is empty now, with one building appearing to be recently boarded up. Cell service was not great.

Straubville is a short distance from the major highways, and quite secluded. The roads leading to it are unpaved and would be quite difficult in bad weather. The roads to approach Straubville are not well marked, so if you go for a drive to Straubville, be alert.

Although Straubville was once a GNRR station, we didn’t see any tracks, so either they were taken out, or we just missed them. ¬†See more of Straubville here.

CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

It struggled to rain all day… but only managed a cold mist.

Not much remains of Straubville, North Dakota.

adjective: abandoned

1. having been deserted or cast off.

verb: abandon

1. cease to support or look after; desert.

2. leave (a place or vehicle) empty or uninhabited, without intending to return.

3. condemn someone or something to (a specified fate) by ceasing to take an interest in or look after them.

Comments
9 Responses to “Straubville, ND”
  1. sfbopp says:

Most years prior to 2000 the county road to Straubville was in good shape. The rails on that line were gone before the mid 50′s except in the crossings on the paved roads through Sargent and Dickey countys – I remember going across them for quite a few years. the line went from Rutland through Ellendale with towns every four to ten miles apart, most of which you can’t find unless you know where they were

• John A. Stangeland says:

We used to go through Straubville quite often, years ago, when we were in that area Pheasant hunting. I thought I could remember railroad tracks then. This would have been mostly in the 50′s and 60′s. From memory, it seems like the road we came into town on had a curve.

2. anita says:

I am wondering how long ago these pictures were taken? Because a friend and were there summer 2010 and a bunch of trees had been uprooted and the tree infront of the house was uprooted and landed on the house

3. John says:

I remember visiting Straubville in the late 1960s. Many of the homes and buildings were standing in good shape including the one room train station with a gray wooden sign. My grandfather homesteaded there and ran the general store, post office, and grain elevator until a TB epidemic in the 1920′s.

4. Valerie Youngman says:

Hello Troy, My name is Valerie I am Dale Shelton’s daughter, Thank You for sharing these pictures. What is your connection to Straubville? FACEBOOK Valerie Youngman.

5. Carolyn Wolf says:

Valerie youngman, I believe we are related. I lived south and east of Strauville until I was to enter 7th grade. We lived about 2miles east of a Sheldon. My father bought a farm in Minnesota in 1955 which is when we moved on September 29th of that year. My great aunt was the station master. We were at the general store weekly before our move. Residents along our stretch of road were Grey, our cousins, Ridder, and a couple of more families whose names have escaped me. I visited the area every few years as I still have cousins in Oaks, Cogswell and Forman.Facebook Carolyn Wolf.

6. mike weller says:

The last photo on this page of straubville or strawville belongs to my aunt Phillis Thompson who was married to George Thompson