About 60 miles southwest of Wahpeton, in Sargent County, stands the ghost town known as Straubville, North Dakota. It was named for the first settler, Joseph W. Straub, who donated ten acres for the town site, in 1883. A Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1886, and population peaked at 40.
This was a place we visited early in our Ghosts of North Dakota adventures, in 2005, and it was one of the first places we encountered where it seemed obvious that if we had arrived ten or fifteen years earlier, there would have been much more to photograph.
When we visited in 2005, Straubville was already a ghost town with zero remaining residents, although one building appeared to have been recently boarded up. Cell service was not great, either.
Straubville is a short distance from the major highways, quite secluded, and the roads leading to it are unpaved and would likely be treacherous in bad weather. Although Straubville was once a Great Northern Railroad station, we didn’t see any tracks, so either they were taken out, or we just missed them. See more of Straubville here.
It struggled to rain all day… but only managed a cold mist.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright © 2017 Sonic Tremor Media
Troy Larson is an author, photographer, gentleman adventurer (debatable) from Fargo, North Dakota, and co-founder of Ghosts of North Dakota. @NorthDakotaTroy