Harlem is a town that no longer exists. We believe this former voting precinct building is the only structure left from what was once Harlem. This building stands right near a farmer’s home and he is farming the land on all sides. According to North Dakota Place Names by Douglas Wick, Harlem was once at the terminus of the Milwaukee Railroad line from Andover, South Dakota and had 225 residents by 1890, but the construction of the nearby NPRR line caused many Harlem residents to move to nearby communities like Cogswell. When the railroad was taken up in 1923, it spelled the end for Harlem.
The former site of Stirum, ND is just two miles north of here.
Photos by Terry Hinnenkamp, Copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC
Troy Larson is an author, photographer, gentleman adventurer (debatable) from Fargo, North Dakota, and co-founder of Ghosts of North Dakota. @NorthDakotaTroy