Abandoned in 1953
This page refers to Old Sanish, ND, not to be confused with the present town of Sanish. Click any image to see the full-size pic.
Old Sanish was a sleepy western North Dakota town until 1953, when town residents began to evacuate to higher ground due to the flooding of the reservoir behind the newly-built Garrison Dam. Not long after, Sanish succumbed to the rising waters and the townsite disappeared beneath the waves of Lake Sakakawea. Although some residents established “New Sanish” just across the highway on higher ground, most of the town’s residents moved to the newly established “Newtown”, several miles to the east.
We photographed these ruins in 2005 when the lake was low.
This photo from Crow Flies High Butte shows the old Four Bears Bridge, with the new Four Bears Bridge under construction right next to it. When the new bridge was completed, the old one was imploded.
See also: Building Four Bears Bridge
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC