Chaseley, North Dakota

Chaseley, ND

Wells County
Status: Inhabited as of 6/05

Chaseley was a NPRR railroad town founded in 1902. It was named by Richard Sykes for the estate of an associate in England. It’s peak population was said to be around 125 in 1920. It’s probably got thirty to fifty now.

Our trip to Chaseley was a spur of the moment stop. It’s far from a ghost town, but there are a lot of old buildings to see.

Comments
9 Responses to “Chaseley, ND”
  1. David Dahle says:

Chaseley was one of the latest towns in ND to be electrified. I have in my files where the power company now serving the town asked the state utility commission in 1940 for permission to build an electric distribution system.

2. Lyndsey Roller says:

The top picture is the old Dance hall. It was the Dance Capital of North Dakota at one time! My dad now owns the building!
    The Second picture is a Picture of my Grandma’s house. My dad and his other 5 siblings were raised in there. A very gorgeous house inside. We still use the house every hunting season! Very surprised to not see the old post office or school house or the old store on here!!! Lots of great old pictures to be taken in that town. grew up there and we still farm there! 24 years and going!

3. Dennis Cory says:

My Grandfather Barry Wyman was a newlywed RR manager at Chasley ND in 1902. He operated a hardware store there too (photo available). Houses were ordered by catalog from Sears, then sent by Railroad. The business area of town burned in a fire, in early1900′s. From my mother’s stories of her Chasley ND hometown.

4. Jesse Braunagel says:

The third picture down was the old church parsonage, which was inhabited by Mary Czech when I grew up there in the 70′s and 80′s. She said the railroad went as far west as Bowdon, and people got off and walked 6 more miles and settled Chaseley. Like Dennis said, fire ( two separate occasions) knocked out multiple businesses and after the last one, people didn’t rebuild. There was a good grocery store till the late 80′s and a gas station/implement and parts dealer there till the later 90′s. It was the arguably best place anywhere to grow up. Many people who worked at the Chaseley Garage lived in the house on the bottom picture at one time or another. I grew up in the yellow house. ( Yes, that’s all I ever used for directions when people came to visit, and it worked.)

5. Chad Burrer says:

I remember going to the Chasely Garage as a kid with my dad to get Allis Chalmers (?) parts. My dad recently mentioned that an old neighbor purchased a new 145 Versatile 4WD tractor from a dealer in Chasely in the 70′s. The tractor is still being used by his sons.

6. Pam Lang says:

I have many good memories of Chaseley. I didn’t grow up there, but spend alot of time with my grandparents, who lived there. At the age of probably 5 or so I went to the dances with my parents in the dance hall across the street from the bar that my grandfather Henry Heintz owned. I spent alot of time playing with friends in the neighborhood and I remember every fourth of July, one of the residents bought boxes of fireworks that were displayed at dark. Good times and good memories.

7. Ron Murdoff. says:

You are right Jess, a great place to grow up.

8. Lynda M Haman Roller says:

The church parsonage is no longer. When growing up Mary Czeck lived there. The little house has had no one living there for several years.I remember the dance hall and walking to town to watch. I grew up on the farm on the hill to the north. On hot days helping Dad we stopped at the old bar Dad for a cold one and me orange pop. My mom still lives on the farm on the hill the little lane to town is no more. A great place to grow up and live.

9. Chaseley, ND is my home town. I grew up there and looking back there was no greater place to raise a family. The community was very close back then and folks loved, respected and looked out for all of their neighbors, unlike today when your lucky if you even know your neighbors. That’s what growing up in a small town/community is all about..