Abandoned as of 4/06
Fillmore, ND is in Benson County, about 20 miles SE of Rugby, the geographical center of North America. Fillmore reportedly had 150 citizens in 1920, but that declined to 74 by 1960 and today Fillmore is home to only two part-time residents.
When we arrived, we were surprised to find Fillmore may just be the best North Dakota ghost town we’ve run across so far.
There is a defined Main Street in town with vacant buildings staring each other down from opposite sides of the street. There are many vacant homes too, not to mention two vacant churches.
The townsite pictured here is actually the second townsite to bear the name Fillmore. The original townsite several miles southeast is now wiped from the prairie.
Like most ghost towns in North Dakota, Fillmore was another casualty of the decline of the train and the rise of the automobile.
CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC