leith-po2

Total Population by Place

1960 – 100
1970 – 92
1980 – 59
2000 – 28
2010 – 16

The train depot closed in 1964.

CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

A Leith Panorama

Comments
55 Responses to “Leith, ND”
  1. Brenda Gubrud says:

This was my mother’s home town…lots of wonderful memories from the 1950′s when we were kids visiting at Christmas, Christmas programs in the church pictured, summers pretending like we were in the wild west with our cap guns and holsters and cowboy boots. There is also an old jailhouse that is not photographed, the sight of many of our “shootouts”…it sits behind the community center which we called the old show hall. We try to go back and visit every summer…but just the cemetery now.

2. My mom and dad moved from Mott to Leith around 1988. My dad was the mayor for several years before passing away in 2008, while my mom still lives there. I live in Mott and try to visit mom on weekends, work permitting, since it’s only about a 40 mile drive. Leith, to me, has always reminded me of one of those one-horse towns where the inhabitants would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. Full of people who are down to earth and have the values and morals that seem to be rapidly disappearing in our country. Crime, as in Mott, is virtually nonexistent. The towns are small enough where everyone knows everyone and if you start a rumor at one end of main street and walk to the other the rumor beats you there, with exaggerated attachments.

3. jim carter says:

hello, my great uncle was elmer carter that was the first postmaster in leith. and other members of my family lived there too, after they sold the farm near carson. they moved the old postoffice from old carson in 1910. i wish i had some pictures of the post office, but don’t. would like to hear from someone who might have known some of my people. i’ve been to leith a few times and thot it was a neat old place.

• Gerald W. von Kamrath says:

Mr. Carter:
      If you go to Facebook and search for LEITH NORTH DAKOTA 58551 BEFORE 1950 that is at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=271965059033 you will find several old photos from the Zeller and Andersen families that have been posted on the page. One of them is of what is called the “Carter Building,” which was relocated from Carson and served as the first Leith post office.
      Best regards,
      Gerald W. von Kamrath

4. Jeffrey Kallestad says:

Leith was the “town” that my parents would go in to on Saturday nights from the farm. Ultimately, both sets of my grandparents moved into Leith from their respective farms. They lived on either side of the Presbyterian church, which is pictured here. My maternal grandparents lived in the house pictured hidden amongst the trees (beneath the picture of the old Benz Garage). My paternal grandfather was the caretaker of the Presbyterian church in the late 50′s / early 60′s. I remember many Sunday mornings listening to one of the best choirs I ever heard in that beautiful little church. It breaks my heart to see it as it is now. Like Ms. Gubrud, I have many fond memories of Summer weekends spent in Leith, including working for “Goppi” Zeller at the Leith Cream Station (pictured right beneath the Presbyterian church pictures). After a full days work at the Cream Station, my brother, Jerry and I used to walk down to the Leith Grocery store and spend our day’s “wages” on “pop and candy!” Living in the urban chaos that is Los Angeles, makes me long for those Lost Childhood Summers in Leith!

• Don Emch says:

I graduated from Leith High School in 1954. Our family attended the Leith Orthodox Presbyterian Church where many of my relatives sang in the choir. Several members of my family were married in that church. Funeral services for my sister Mary Ann, brother Jim, sister in law LaVonne, and niece Pam were held in that church. I weep when I see the church and other buildings in disrepair. I used to attend movies at the “Leith Opera House” at the end of Main Street. Leith was a pretty little town at one time. It was nice to read all of the postings.

Don Emch

5. John Gallardo says:

Hi- Although I don’t have any direct connection to Leith, my mother, who is 89, and was raised in the Carson and Elgin areas, remembers going to “some nice dances” in Leith when she was young. The website http://www.digitalhorizonsonline.org has several historic photos of Leith in the earlier days. If I may say, you and the others who have left messages here about your Leith experiences would be doing a great favor to history if you wrote down all of your such thoughts, including just what the shown buildings were as you remember them, and perhaps contribute copy of any information and photos to the Grant County Historical Society, perhaps. As our elders pass on, we are quickly becoming the only ones with the memory of the people and places, and they deserve to be remembered. Thanks. -John Gallardo, California

6. M McCall says:

I have undated picture postcards from Lawfer Studio in Leith but am unable to determine the time period in which they were printed. They are prints of a fire at Farmers Elevator Co of Flasher. I am wondering if anyone posting here may have heard of this photography studio and the time period in which it was in business.

• Clayton says:

Lawfer studio had its own building but later moved into the Leith Cream Station(4th picture from the top).
      Lawfer studio was upstairs in the Cream Station Building!

• Ernst Bentz says:

I grew up in Leith from the 1940′s to 1960. The old Lawfer Studio was located just north of the post office next to the Emch house. I believe the owner of the house belonged to Don Emch”s family posted on this web site.
      The studio was in business in the 40′s and 50′s but I’m not sure when it closed. I loved this little town on the prairie. My wife and I bought my parents house on RR street and we still spend time there for a month or so in the summer. I know I shouldn’t look but the best time of my life was growing up in Leith.

• Rachelle (Hoover) Roth says:

Lawfer studio was in business in the 40s & possibly still in the 50s. The 4H club my mother (Kathryn (Mrs. Bill) Hoover was the leader of, the Heil Spirits of 4H went there to have their picture taken in 1948. I do not know how many years previous to this the Lawfer studio was in business. I attended many Sunday night movies with my parents at the Leith “show hall” when I was in grade school. The earliest of these was “Bambi” a “tear jerker” for me and later “Frances the Talking Mule” & “Ma & Pa Kettle movies. In 1954 those at my birthday party attended the movie there together. I took piano lessons in the house behind the show hall from Mrs. Zeller. Her husband had the hardware store then. Before we had electricity we stored the meat after we butchered at Goppi’s locker plant.

7. Mary Jean Dunning Garofalo says:

Hi: My Grandmother lived in Leith probably in the 1930′s – 1960′s. Her name was Regina Augusta Alzner Wachsman Emch. She lived for many years with her husband, Frank Emch, on a farm outside of town. They moved into town in 1960′s. There were 17 children between them, some of whom went to high school in Leith and were great singers. I wonder if my uncles were part of the beautiful choir mentioned in the Presbyterian Church in Leith. My Mother, Dorothy Wachsman, graduated from Leith High School approx 1933-34, as did her brothers and sisters, Carl, Bob, Harold, and Faith; and her half-brothers, Jim, Franklin, Duane, and Don all in different years.

8. Gerald W. von Kamrath says:

My great grandparents, William Christian & Nellie Viola (née Emch) Kamrath, homestead outside of Leith in 1907. I visited the town in 2000 and think I can identify some of the buildings/locations of half of the photos. Photo #1 at the top of the page is of the old Leith Post Office. Elmer Carter became the town’s first post master in 1910. Della (née Cook) Emch, wife of James Herbert “Bert” Emch, was the post mistress from 1929, until she retired at age 70 years in 1947. Photos #2 & #3 going down the page are of the old Leith Presbyterian Church. When Swiss immigrant Niclaus “Nicholas” Carlton Emch (1852-1930) and his many grown children and their families and a few former neighbors from Wayne County, Nebraska arrived in Leith in 1906-07, to homestead they swelled the budding ranks of adherents of the Presbyterian faith to form a local church. Rev. Young conducted the original church services under a lean-to at the north end of town and at the Valley View Hall. In 1913, men of the local congregation built the church with financial assistance from the Presbyterian congregations of Bismarck on the site of the lean-to. One time resident Emma Hedman remembered the many members of the Emch family were very musically gifted and the Sunday services being filled with song. The Leith Presbyterian congregation rejected what they saw as the liberalization of the church in the 1920s, and 1930s, and voted in 1935, to reorganized under the Orthodox Presbyterian charter. When I visited Leith in July 2000 the top of the steeple had been taken down before it collapsed for safety reasons and was laying on the ground next the tower’s base seen here behind the big bush. Photo #6 is the old fire bell used to warn the town’s residents of an emergency. It is across the street from where the old the volunteer fire brigades garage was located. Photo #7 is the orange brick Teker Farm Equipment Repair building on the east of Lieth Avenue across from the old Post Office. Photo #11 is another view of the old post office. Photo #15 is the house James Herbert “Bert” (1877-1973) and Della (née Cook) Emch (1877-1974) bought in 1929, on the northeast corner of First Avenue and Second Street after retiring from the farm and lived in until they moved back to Roanoke, Indiana to live their last years with their daughter, Fern (née Emch) Berry. After retiring from farming Bert was secretary-treasurer of the Leith Loan Association, president of the Leith town board, and director of the Grant County Fair for several years until 1932, when it moved to Carson. Della graduated from the Teachers College in Wayne, Nebraska, but got married in 1897, and moved with her husband’s family to North Dakota in 1906. Della became the town midwife and regularly assisted during many of the birthings around Leith. During the 1918 Influenza Epidemic she helped the town doctor, Dr. Loren Zen, care for the many sick in the area. She was also very active with the founding of the local Presbyterian Church and ran the first Sunday School. After moving to town in 1929, Della became the post mistress until retiring in 1947. Photo #17 is the post office again with what I think was the Grocery Store next to it. Photo #18 is the old playground slide across the street where the school #49 was located is all that is today left of a reminder of the old school #49. The original two-room schoolhouse was build by Peter Hedman in 1912, on the corner of his and the Moen family’s land. Later the county built old school #49 at the end of NW First Avenue and Joseph Lawfer bought the original schoolhouse and moved to Leith Avenue and converted it into his photograph studio. Photo #19 is the house north across the street from the post office that William C. (1880-1961) & Nellie (née Emch) Kamrath (1883-1961) bought in 1944, when William retired from farming and passed the farm to his youngest son, Roswell, and moved into town. William was born in Dixon County, Nebraska and ran away from his strict German father at age 12½. He found work at the Emch farm in neighboring Wayne County where he eventually married the “boss’s daughter,” Niclaus “Nicholas” C. Emch’s daughter, Nellie Viola Emch, in 1900. They followed Nicholas to Morton County (later this section became Grant County) and homesteaded outside of Leith like Nellie’s father and many brothers. William was elected to the state legislature in 1919, representing Grant and Sioux Counties. He retired from politics in 1955, as President Pro Tem of the Senate, holding the record for the most years in the state legislature. After William and Nellie passed away in 1961, Nellie’s brother, Franklin Perry Emch (1879-1963) and his second wife, Regina “Jean” (née Alzner) Wachsman Emch (1893-1983), bought the place. It was later converted into a storage garage for a couple of tractors before being abandoned. Photo #20 is of the picnic tables at Leith Park on the northeast corner across from the old Post Office. The Grant County Fair was held for many years in Leith and the town was a contender for the county seat until it lost out to Carson. In 1932, the location of the county fair was moved to Carson. Photo #21 is looking north up Leith Avenue past the park towards the corner of Second Street the white house is the old A. Zeller home and the brown building was the old cold storage building. Last Photo #24 is a panoramic view south down Leith Avenue with the post office and grocery store on the right and the brick Teker Farm Equipment Repair building on the right. Look forward to seeing if anyone has corrections or can identify the other photos.
    Gerald W. von Kamrath
    San Diego, California

• John Gallardo says:

I just re-read your description of the photos, and am so glad you’ve done this. This is what is necessary for the story to continue. THANK YOU! -John Gallardo Chico, California

• david m jones says:

Dear Sir: Would you please e-mail me because I know most of the people you are talking about. My grandfather Edward Heaps was the constable when I was a boy; and I would go with him to the church and put coal in the stove and wipe everything down upstairs.

9. David C. Hill says:

My G Grandfather lived and died (and is buried) in Leith, ND. I have never been there but, my father told me that he attended the funeral of GGrandfather, Samuel Clarke Hill , He lived there into the late 20′s or early 30′s I dont know the exact date… but, someday I will probably go and see the headstone and figure it out…;)

10. John Gallardo says:

Hello,
    I was in touch with a distant relative of mine who has done research on the Leith Cemetery. I will try to contact her about her research, which is ongoing. Perhaps she has some information ( photos of headstones?) that will help you. She does not live in Western North dakota, but sometimes goes there. -John Gallardo, Chico, California

11. Jerry Kallestad says:

Wow ! These pictures bring back fond memories of weekends at my grandparents Both Maternal and Paternal who lived on either side of the Presbeyterian church. I remember Goppy at the cream station and Lester Tekers welding shop and the Store, the Post Office. The old Jail . My brothers James, Jeff ,Paul, and my cousins Karen, Brenda ,Bruce and Kay (and other cousins) John ,Neil and Audrey, spent many weekends playing all manner of childhood games in the streets of Leith.

12. Dave Hill says:

Thanks for the effort it is appreciated…. :) Swamplager@hotmail.com

13. Randall Jenkins says:

Hello,

I was fascinated to read some ot the history of Leith, as my son and daughter-in-law have just moved there! So now, Leith has had it’s first minor up-swing in population in over 60 years!! I might be interested in renovating a property in Leith as a summer home, if anyone knows of property for sale there. Wonderful pictures, and it is such a shame that little villages like this are becoming extinct.

14. Jamison says:

Just thought you might find it interesting, one of the houses in one of your pictures apears to be for sale, it’s the 9th picture down on the page, or Leith11.

15. Shyrla Getchell says:

Thanksgiving Day, 2011
    Visited and reviewed by Shyrla Wachsman Getchell, Carl Wachsman Jr.(Chuck), (daughter of Rollie Emch, son of Frank Emch) Marilyn Emch Knight.
    Thank you very much, the trip to the past via this pictorial was thoroughly enjoyed.

16. John Gallardo says:

On the website http://www.vpike.com, and some others, both Leith and Heil (both in Grant County) are shown. One can go up and down the streets and see all the structures that were there when the last photos were taken. With 360degree feature! Also, in Grant County, Carson, Elgin, and New Leipzig are featured. Check it out.

17. Colby Leith Getchell says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures. I remember visiting with my family in the 70s. We visited the farm my moms family lived on outside of town and she tried to explain the ancestral lineage of the Mossman,Emch and Wachsman clans. I still don’t quite get it, but I look forward to visiting again.

18. david m jones says:

I left leith in Aug. of 1971 to join the marine corps and retired from that brotherhood in1992. I now live in north carolina a few miles from Camp Lejeune, home of the 2nd Marine Division. I remember leith when I was a boy and also worked for goppy at the creamery and also had worked at the grain elevator unloading salt blocks or cleaning the ogger. My grandmother Edith Heaps was the postmaster and my father Lemuel Jones was a rural carrier, and the post office is where us kids would wait for the bus. MY parents both past away in July and November of 2007. Not a lot of people know that my father was a Pearl Harbor survivor. They are both buried at the State Veterans Cemetery In Jacksonville,N.C. I have told people about being from the country, but I don’t think they are able to grasp the affect it has on a person; especially when I tell them that in the evening it is so quiet that all you can hear are the birds. That is what I truly miss because it gives you piece of mind and it is so peaceful. Praise the Lord for such a place.

• Jay Johnson says:

David, My wife’s great grandfather is from Leith. We have been researching and we visited earlier this month. The 1918 the Grant Count Atlas shows a Lemuel Jones owning the West 1/2 of the NW Quarter of Section 24, T133N, R88W. My Wives Great Grand Father Jeppe Andersen owned the East half of this quarter section and the North 1/2 of the SW Quarter. Jeppe had the property to Lemuel’s East and South. I would suspect that Lemuel would have been your Grand father or Great Grandfather. We are about the same age. I joined the Army in 1971 same year you joined the Marines. I went into Retired Reserve Status a month before 9/11.

19. Barbara Lefdal says:

My uncle, Martin Rothi or Roti is buried in the Leith Cemetary. I know that he had a homestead there in the early 1900′s. I wonder how I could find out where it was. Also he had stock in the Leith Equity Exchange. Has anyone heard of that? Thanks for your help.

20. Dennis Ryan says:

Doing some research on where my father, William P. Ryan, was born in 1918. I believe his Dad John was in railroad construction and later road construction. I understand the town was on a Milwaukee Road route. My grandfather may have also been in State politics. Not sure when they relocated to southern Wisconsin (Janesville) where I live. Wondering if anyone knows about the Ryans from that time period?
    Thanks-

21. Jay Johnson says:

Above is a link to the Patent details for your Uncles Homestead Patent. He homesteaded the Southeast Quarter Section of Section 30, Township 133N, Range 87W. This is a mile west and 4 miles south of Leith.

The above link may take you to the correct location in Google Maps

22. Karl Bethel says:

Found this in the Bismarck Tribune. Hope this gets around.

23. Darrell Todd Maurina says:

This town has shown up again in the news, this time in a horrible way. A group of white supremacists is buying up property trying to turn Leith, N.D., into “an enclave where residents fly ‘racialist’ banners, where they are able to import enough ‘responsible hard core’ white nationalists to take control of the town government, where ‘leftist journalists or antis’ who ‘come and try to make trouble’ will face arrest.”

New Neighbor’s Agenda: White Power Takeover

If a tiny group of white supremacists can attract not just regional but national media attention for their plan to buy property and start a white-power enclave, surely somebody in the OPC or PCA has enough money to buy the last church where OPC founder J. Gresham Machen preached, disassemble it, and move it someplace where the building will be valued and used, perhaps as a college or seminary chapel, or as a museum, or maybe as a building for a congregation which needs a building and would otherwise have to construct or buy one.

Older buildings were typically built to last, and when made out of wood they can typically be disassembled and rebuilt, and the cost for disassembling and rebuilding may be much less than new construction. It would be really nice to see this building put to use again for conservative Reformed church purposes rather than to have it in a haven of “white power” views which Machen never would have supported.

• Jay Johnson says:

Some locals and decedents of former Leith Pioneers are buying remaining lots and now that the plan has been made public it is hoped to fail. To succeed it needed to stay private within the White Supremacist. Now that it is exposed we hope they will fail.

24. jeremy kelly says:

Really great little town and awesome people. Love that little town.

25. Tracy Binstock Getzinger says:

When I see these pictures…the pictures of the town that raised me, my soul sings. My heart beats and blood flows fast through my veins. Why? Because this town represents PEACE, INNOCENCE, LOVE AND LIFE THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. A life where a child had no fear, the imagination flowed freely through the tall grass, below the towering trees and in inside the abandoned building. Where people knew your name, your interests, even your favorite color. Where the elderly and the youth learned from each other during long dialogues. This beautiful town is Heaven to me. God, bless this town and protect the Good who live there and protect it from all evil. Amen!

26. ppppp says:

have yall noted that Leith is global media news these days?
    Craig Cobb is a divine trickster at his game of helping people making fools of himself, him leading the way.

27. rlz says:

there are many many pictures
    and wonderful stories and memories
    Go to:
    FOR REAL HISTORY AND MANY PICTURES OF LEITH

28. Maudeen Haisch Wachsmith says:

Wonderful to see the old pictures. Many familiar names. My mother, Inez Renee Weatherly Haisch was born and raised SW of Leith. She is almost 94 and remembers all the old timers! I spent summers in the 50s and 60s there and have returned numerous times as an adult. I recall attending my grandparents’ 50th anniversary in the Presbyterian church. I recall Loretta Kamrath was my Sunday School teacher.

29. Jeffrey Kallestad says:

The REAL Ghosts of (Leith) North Dakota

My name is Jeffrey Kallestad, and I wanted to take a minute to speak to the changes that have recently gripped my parental hometown.

Near Leith, is where my parents, Oscar and Marian Kallestad, were raised, courted, married and reared my brothers Jim and Jerry, before moving to Fargo ten months after my birth in 1955.

My grandparents, Martin and Martha Kallestad, and John and Clara Johnson retired to Leith from their respective farms in the 1950′s.

As I have posted previously here, they took up residence on either side of the Presbyterian church, Grandparents J to the North and Grandparents K to the South.

My fondest childhood memories involved those two homes,(although Grandpa John’s was where we stayed), the Presbyterian church and the Leith cream station, which was run by Goppy Which I mistakenly spelled Goppi in my previous post) Zeller.

This website served as a connecting point for myself and my cousin, Brenda Schaible Gubrud, who I did not know at the time I originally posted here.

Although we had not spoken for over 50 years, we quickly discovered our common passion for the birthplace of our best childhood memories!

Since reconnecting, Brenda and I have shared many discussions, celebrating Leith for her unique history, and reliving our own treasured memories.

We were always astonished by the diversity of this little city on the prairie; that had among other things, its own band, sports teams, show hall and a photography studio, whose owner, Joe Lawfer, pictorially recorded much of the city’s early history, in addition to being an active participant in many community organizations!

We both mourned the loss of Leith, but agreed that she was better off decaying into a Ghost Town, rather than transforming into some modern Mecca, with new architecture and people, who had no ties to her history.

That all changed in 2012 … with a simple search for cheap housing by a transient oil field worker.

What are the odds of such an occurrence?

As witnessed by the posts of so many here and on other Leith sites, my story is NOT unique, but I believe I am entitled to take this very personally, as it affects my history so specifically.

Two of the most significant structures from my childhood (Grandpa John’s and the Leith cream station) are now condemned and earmarked for the wrecking ball.

It is as if someone ripped my heart from my chest, and stomped it into the ground.

Just this past July, Brenda and I traveled together to Leith for an emotional visit to many of our favorite places, unaware of the turmoil already simmering beneath the decaying surface of this pastoral little community.

We were able to walk the town and visit our favorite childhood haunts…. the homes of our grandparents Kallestad, and my grandparents Johnson, the Presbyterian church, the cream station, the old jail, the show hall, the post office and the garage that houses the old fire carriages.

We also spent a considerable amount of time at the Leith Cemetery, visiting the graves of family (Kallestads), friends (Susan Johnson) and a list of historical figures who helped make Leith the amazing community she was.

But primarily focusing on the familiar names of those from our childhood:

Arndt, Bentz, Dahl, Emch, Fuchs, Hague, Johnson, Kamrath, Latuseck, Mund, Neher, Pagel, Parsons, Saunders, Sept, Teker and Zeller.

As I follow the news that has elevated Leith to national, and even international attention, I cannot help but feel a sense of sadness for anyone who ever called Leith home!

And especially for those who are no longer here to witness this new infamy for which they would have been so strongly opposed!

I will NOT respond in kind to HATE.

I only ask that Mr. Cobb and his ilk, pull up stakes and leave the REAL Ghosts of Leith, North Dakota to rest in peace!

Jeffrey Kallestad

30. Jim says:

Looks like a great little town.Are there any businesses in this town and whats the nearest big town? Im considering making it a vacation spot So I can help to get those monsters out of the area.

• Melanie says:

Just from what I could find on the internet, I don’t think there’s much in the way of businesses in Leith. According to city-data.com, there is a grocery store, a convenience store with gas, and three restaurants, but I’m not really sure if Leith has all of that. Bismarck is the nearest city, I think about 1.5 hour drive away. Elgin is about 13 miles away and has over 600 people. Still very small but Elgin would have many more services than Leith. Glen Ullin is less than an hour drive away and has almost 800 people. Mott is also less than an hour away and has over 700 people.

31. John says:

My father lived in Leith with his brothers and sister alongside my grandparents Melvin and Katherine Nelson of Sterling. The auto garage pictured was owned by Lester Tecker.

32. Richard Faubel says:

My father lived in Raleigh but played on the Leith baseball team. I think most of the small towns throughout the prairie had baseball teams that competed against each other. The years would have been around 1920 and the high light of his career was when Leroy “Satchel” Paige came to town and pitched an exhibition game. Leroy, arguable the greatest baseball pitcher of all time , was playing for the Churchill Bismarks and the year would have been around 1933. Leroy ended up in North Dakota because it was one only two states at that time that allowed integrated baseball teams.

33. Rachelle (Hoover) Roth says:

There were still town baseball teams in the 1940s & 50s.

34. Kyle Erickson says:

Wow that is so cool!! I have lived in ND all my life, traveled all over this great state, know a lot of it’s history, and I’ve never heard anything about Satchel Paige playing baseball in North Dakota, it’s quite amazing actually!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] ‘Leith, ND was founded in 1910 as a Milwaukee Road Railroad town and once held as many as 170 people. It is a very clean and fairly intact near-ghost town. The train depot closed in 1964.‘ (http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com/2007/05/01/leith-nd/#comments) [...]

2. […] stop on the Northern Pacific Railway Line; now, it has the dubious honor of gracing the pages of a photo-journal of North Dakota Ghost Towns. In fact, the very house now inhabited by the monster of Lieth (left) is pictured […]

3. […] stop on the Northern Pacific Railway Line; now, it has the dubious honor of gracing the pages of a photo-journal of North Dakota Ghost Towns. In fact, the very house now inhabited by the monster of Leith (left) is pictured […]