burt-overview

Burt, ND

Burt, ND is along Highway 21 in Hettinger County, roughly sixty miles southwest of Bismarck/Mandan. The post office was established in 1910 at Burt, which had previously been known as Alton. The name was changed to avoid confusion with Alton Junction.

Burt once had 200 people but is now home to a couple dozen.

Burt, North Dakota

Burt even had a newspaper once upon a time — the Burt Echo was the “official paper for Hettinger County” from 1914 to 1919 and featured both English and German-language columns for the predominantly German settlers in the area.

Burt, North Dakota

Burt, North Dakota

We visited Burt during a trip to check out a bunch of abandoned places in the southwest part of North Dakota — places like Lefor, Haley, Bucyrus and Gascoyne.

Burt, North Dakota

Burt, North Dakota

The main occupants of this place now are horses.

Burt, North Dakota

Burt, North Dakota

Burt, North Dakota

vol1-vol2-sale-banner

Burt, North Dakota

I really loved this place. That facade really says “frontier.”

Burt, North Dakota

adjective: abandoned

1. having been deserted or cast off.

verb: abandon

1. cease to support or look after; desert.

2. leave (a place or vehicle) empty or uninhabited, without intending to return.

3. condemn someone or something to (a specified fate) by ceasing to take an interest in or look after them.

Comments
9 Responses to “Burt, ND”
  1. Debbie Friez says:

I have fond memories of Burt. We used to go roller skating in Burt. The floor was warped and if you stood at one end you would roll to the other end. There pictures of the rink building in your collection.

• Mavis Ottmar says:

My family spent a lot of time in Burt. We lived 10 miles north and my older siblings went to the school there. i remember stopping at the store and post office often. And of course we went to the roller skating sessions every Saturday night during Lent. A great meeting place!

• Chris L says:

I have property in Burt that i inheirited and have never been there. I would love to speak to some one that has memories of the town that they could share with me! Thanks!
        Chris

2. Schmidty says:

I live in Burt right now, or well my family does and im there weekends… the 2 houses side by side that there were pictures taken of are now long gone, and now stands a brand new shop and soon to be another in those spots… we hated to do it, but we found it nessicary after we had all our stuff hailed out a couple years ago… hated to lose the history there… I have some VERY old pictures of this place tho from probly about the 1920s

• Crystal Mendez says:

Please contact me regarding Burt, I have some questions that you might have answers to. I will be in Burt this summer for the first time to explore couple acres (mentioned above by Chris) that my dad owns and neither of us have ever seen

Matt Hellman
      1-25-14
      I worked for my uncle Alex Friedt Sr. back in the early 1950′s. His son Val Friedt and a bunch of other guys would go to dances in Burt. After the dances were over we would go over to the Curve, aanother eating place and dance Hall. Great times back then. I live in Oregon now and we go back to N.D. often since my wife is also from N.D. We are headed back there this coming July. Western N.D. has changed so much since the oil Boom, will never be the same.

3. Glen says:

I am going to Burt this weekend to look at three acres. Does Burt have any history of flooding? The contact name is Roger.

4. Kelsie Kirsch Myers says:

I grew up about 15 or 20 miles north of Burt. For my first year of school, I attended a one room school house a mile from our farm. Then it closed and we went to the “big’ school in Burt–two rooms!! I attended there for three years before it closed and we went to Mott Public Schools. The building with the green trim was once a store. I can remember all the candy that was sold there. I rarely got to buy any of it. These were fun times for our rural community.