Hamberg is a central North Dakota near-ghost town, in Wells County, about eighteen miles east of Harvey. It was founded as a Great Northern Railroad town (Heidi Ermer contributed a photo of the old depot) and was originally called Viking. According to North Dakota Place Names by Douglas Wick, the name was changed to Hamburg by German residents, but later the Hamberg spelling was adopted as a compromise with the Scandinavian settlers in the area.
US Census Data for Hamberg
Total Population by Place
1940 – 154
1950 – 124
1960 – 64
1970 – 51
1980 – 41
2000 – 28
2010 — 21
During our visit in 2008, this school looked like it had very few years left in it. Unfortunately, it burned to the ground on April 1st, 2012, during one of the driest springs on record. A Facebook fan reports a controlled burn got out of control due to the wind and the dry conditions.
The traffic passes, but rarely stops.
Hamberg’s Post Office.
A quiet Saturday morning in Hamberg.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, © 2016 Sonic Tremor Media
Author: Troy Larson
Troy Larson is an author, photographer, gentleman (debatable) adventurer from Fargo, North Dakota, and co-founder of Ghosts of North Dakota.