This is the Caledonia Bridge in Caledonia, North Dakota, in Traill County, about twenty miles east of Mayville. It is closed to all but foot traffic. It is one of the oldest bridges in North Dakota, second to the Viking Bridge in nearby Portland. Viking Bridge has been restored in recent years, and we believe that makes Caledonia Bridge the oldest unrestored bridge in North Dakota. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
This bridge was constructed by Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, in 1895. The company built nearly five thousand bridges in the United States and Canada before it was consolidated into the American Bridge Company by JP Morgan in 1900.
There’s a noticeable tweak in the bridge deck.
Caledonia Bridge spans the Goose River.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, © 2015 Sonic Tremor Media