bar

Nekoma in Winter

The following photos were contributed by John Kelly. Click to enlarge.

Comments
17 Responses to “Nekoma in Winter”
  1. Carol Janssen says:

Wow,,brings back a ton of memories to see Nekoma, ND on this website,,,THANKS My Aunt/Uncle/Cousins lived on the outskirts of Nekoma. In fact my Aunt worked at the missle base way back when. Do you have the first picture for sale,,,with the Nekoma Bar sign on the building?? I would be very intersted. My mom and dad are from Langdon, Hannaha area. To cool,,,love your website,,heard you talking about it today with Jack and Sandy.

2. Dave Ford says:

I dad was minister at the little wooden Presbyterian church in Nekoma while we lived in Langdon. I’m wondering if anyone might have a picture of that church. I’m sure the building is gone and I don’t know if there is a Presbyterian Church in Nekoma any longer. Love the website. Our hobby when living in MN, SD, WY, and CO was looking for old towns. Love the ghost town book—-Ghosts In A Sea Of Grass—featured several ND ghosts or near ghosts.

3. Craig York says:

I lived in Nekoma during the mid-1970s as well. Its amazing to see that the old bar & Post office
    buildings are still there. I was hoping to find a few pictures fro mthe Devil’s Lake area-I remember
    seeing a beautiful old stone two story farm house with a turret on the corner ( already long
    abandonded in 1975 ) not far from the city. Thansk fro the site-its a nice trip down memory lane.

4. sick~o king says:

Hey, Micheal Moore sent a camera crew there several years ago… here is the youtube link, and it features that very bar…

5. Deb Davies says:

I used to live in Nekoma also. Went to school there from 1974 thru 1978. Seeing the pics brings back alot of memories for me as well. Would love to locate some old classmates and friends.

6. John Moss says:

I rememeber the Nekoma bar back in the day. Working then going to the watering hole. My wife would get mad sometimes not all the time. The girl that worked at the the Deb was her name she was so nice to everyone there!

7. The missile complex was recently sold. I don’t know who purchased it. It was sold through GSA Auctions.

8. Jan Flavell Newton says:

About North Dakota. . . Sure, it gets cold in the winter and can be very hot in the summer – all in all, it’s a beautiful place. You know how on Little House on the Prairie a rope is tied from the barn to the house during a blizzard? We had to do that a few times from our house to the neighbor’s house. We lived on the MSR site and life was different than anything we ever experienced. I’m glad for that, though; we learned how to live as few people in he US ever have. I’d love to go back now.

9. Leo says:

I am glad to see this video. Is a good way to keep out the riff-raff.. I hope Kevin Kramer is proud of his presentation.
    North Dakota is a great place to live. I know I am in my 80th year and PROUD OF NORTH DAKOTA.
    Leo

10. Kevin Hlywiak says:

My great-uncle Charles Slaybaugh had a farm in Nekoma many years ago (he moved to Grand Forks after WWII, then returned to his native Pennsylvania in the 1950s), and I had the pleasure of making a quick trip to Nekoma in January 1996 and having a chance meeting with his daughter-in-law Marie Slaybaugh. I happened to see the Slaybaugh name on a mailbox, and rang the doorbell. Though we had never met and she certainly “didn’t know me from Adam”, her friendliness, hospitality, and family stories brought some warmth to a cold ND day! I believe she passed away within the last couple years, so I’m glad I had the opportunity to have spent some time with her – albeit brief. Kevin, State College, PA

11. Rick Monteith says:

I worked at the missile site in the fall of 1973 putting furnaces in the duplexes – can’t believe there are that few people there now. I recall the Nekoma Bar, but never spent time there – we were commuting from Devils Lake.

12. Pat Hawkins says:

My husband was one of the first military sent there, he later became a civilian worker. I met him there, I was one of the telephone operators at the PAR Site, then became a Communications Clerk at the MSR. I was inside both buildings. I was born and raised 12 miles from the PAR site in the Hensel/Crystal area. My maiden name was Becker. My Dad worked at the PAR when it was being built. Hubby and I lived in Langdon in the government owned area, then later bought a lot on the “east” side of Nekoma and parked a mobile home there. We were one of the very last families to leave there when things closed in 1976.
    I do no miss it one bit! We went to Ft Huachuca AZ, then to Ft McPehreson, GA then to Ft Ritchie, MD, Latterkenny Army Depot, Chambersburg, PA, and he retired from Ft Detrick, MD. It was a great ride. We retired to East Tennessee, (foothills of the Smokies) and are getting ready to go back to PA!!! We still have “missile” friend in AZ and WI. Met great people when we lived there.