haynes-street-bw

Haynes, ND

Adams County

Haynes was founded in 1906 under the name Gadsden. It reportedly had over two hundred people at one time.

US Census Data for Haynes
Total Population by Place

1960 – 111
1970 – 53
1980 – 58
2000 – 19
2010 — 23

The owner seems to be doing a pretty good job of steady upkeep on this school.

Haynes is just a few miles inside the North Dakota border with South Dakota.

No waiting in line… anyone?

2007? or 1907?

Photos by Troy and Rat, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
29 Responses to “Haynes, ND”
  1. Mark J says:

Wow – interesting school! Is that stucco? You do not see that very often.

2. Kelso19 says:

My grandmother grew up on a farm just to the west of Haynes. She attended that school from K-12th grade. There is some dispute as to when it closed, but it was sometime between 1962-64. She said it remained open for town gatherings and stuff for about 20 years after that. My great-grandma has a Hettinger/Haynes centennial commemoration book and it has many pictures of a regional basketball tournament held at the Haynes HS with at least 6 other towns in attendance.

• Kurt says:

I am originally from the Rhame area, but remember my father tell of playing basketball and baseball at haynes in the mid 50′s. If your able to I would love to see you post some of those pictures from your grandmothers centennial book of that regional basketball tourney. Crazy some of the small venues that hosted regional tourneys back then, my uncle has told me that even Rhame hosted some regionals back in the the 40′s and 50′s

3. Sharon says:

The workshop attached to the school was our “new” gym. The house right under the school pic is the house that I grew up in. Imagine my surprise when I saw it!! The last graduating class was held in 1963 and the school closed forever in 1970, until that time, there was a grade school there. After that, Haynes became a “ghost town.” These dates are accurate because I researched it for our All School Reunion which was held July 4-5, 2009. Students came back from all over the US and it was a “smashing” success!!

4. Bob Williams says:

The 2009 reunion was very well done… had a fun time there!

• Joyce Hinrichs says:

I am a columist for the local paper( Community Conversations) and do stories on older towns and their histories. I am writing about Haynes this week and would like any histoory on the town you can share.
      Joyce HINRICHS
      “I Write for You”
      sportstrax@ndsupernet.com

5. John L. Kuntz says:

Troy / Rat
    I have a photo of this school house which was taken sometime in the 1950′s, based on the vehicles setting next to it. It looks like the building had just completed construction. The photo was in my parents (both deceased) photo colection. It wasn’t until two years ago I finnaly figured out what / where this building was when I drove through Haynes and saw the school there.

If you want a copy of this photo, let me know.

John

6. angel moen says:

i live in haynes in a house i know nothing about it is 98 years old and about a black away from the school. if you know any thing about this house please call me,

• Dale says:

Which side of the school are you. Is it the west side of the school or the east side of the school. If you are west of the school in a house that has a old satilite dish in the yard that is were I use to live.

7. Jennifer Mischel-Klein says:

My grandfather was born at a house in/near Haynes in 1912. I’ve seen a photo of the house, don’t know if it’s still standing, or where exactly it was though.

8. Scott Dyson says:

My grandfather James Dyson & several of his siblings all had farmsteads south of Haynes. I’m told the house that stands at 106 8th Street West in Lemmon was originally built in Haynes and my grandfathers’ first wife had it moved. She was a teacher of some sort. Her name was Isabelle.

9. I am fascinated by the type of houses you have. The front of a lot of buildings are square and behind that you have tilted roofs and I have not seen that type of houses in Sweden where I come from. A big difference is your choice of colo(u)r for your buildings being white while old houses here are almost always red.

Thumbs up for this site. The whole abandoned towns scares the creeps out of me but at the same time very intriguing.

10. Ron says:

I grew up in Hettinger and visited Haynes quite often in the 50s and 60s.

I remember driving there one Saturday night with several friends to see the dance at the bar on Main Street. It was packed. We were under age so we couldn’t get in but walked around for a while outside.

My uncle Viking Olson was janitor at the school in the late 50s for a few years. They lived in Haynes and I stayed over night there a few times and helped him with duties at the school. I remember operating the floor polisher on the floors a few times.

11. Einar Kr. Holtet says:

Dear all: ANYONE there, who could possibly provide photos related to one old, distant
    relative in Haynes or Hettinger, ND – from about 1915 – 1925? The daughter of Sigrid Anna
    Olson and Severt Olson lived there at that time. The daughter’s name was Lettie (Olson) Tingstad and
    she was married to Paul Tingstad. Lettie’s mother was a sister of my great grandfather Otter
    Otterson in Bardu, Norway – where I was born in 1944. Lettie’s mother Sigrid Anna Otterson
    migrated to America in the latter part of the 1800s.
    Thanks for all info and photos, in advance.

Best
    Einar

12. Leah Rogne says:

My grandparents, Brynjulf and Emma Rogne, homesteaded near Haynes in 1907 and lived there about five years. He was a carpenter and spent the week in Hettinger building houses. They lived in a sod house on the claim. Interested in hearing from anyone whose family was living there at that time.

13. Dale says:

My name is Dale I use to live in Haynes ND in the late 70s and most of the80s. The town only had 24 people living there. There was a post office ,bar ,and the lumber yard for open businesses. I as a kid use to play at the school yard that was just east of my house. Haynes was a quiet place to grow up. I have a lot of great memories of my child hood there> I have not been back there for 22 years.

14. Scott Walsh says:

One of my favorite places! Beautiful country!

15. Al Zimmer says:

My freshman English teacher, Mrs. Martin, taught at this school during WWII. All of the male teachers had gone off to the war, so she also coached the football team.

16. Keith Ullman says:

My family lived in a house just south of Haynes in the 50′s-’63. I went to school there from ’57-63. My grandfather was the postmaster in Haynes for many years. The square fronts on those buildings is because they were store fronts on Main Street. When I was a little kid there were still two grocery stores there, plus at least one bar. The bar/store was the last to go I think. The three grain elevators were in operation into the 70′s at least and there was a co-op lumberyard there about that long as well. Maybe into the ’80′s. When I was in grade school there Haynes still had about 120 people living there I believe.

17. Pam (Ullman) Sorenson says:

Our grandfather was LR Church (wife Sadie) – I attended all 8 elementary grades here, except for a 6 week stint at Chandler school one year when harvest must have run late- The high school was still there as I finished the 8th grade. When I was little, there was still a general store on the west side of Main Street near the south end. I remember wooden bins with bib overalls in them and jeans of different sizes. And I recall bottles of pap, ere they a nickle?) in a sliding cooler at the elevator. There was a train depot there as well that was later moved to the east side of Hettinger. Billy O’day lived there I think. Terry Jorgenson and Henry Heidt and I went through all 8 grades together.

18. Dave D says:

I’m interested in knowing if a light plant ever existed here before 1946? The earliest mention I found of Haynes having lights would be after Montana-Dakota Utilities ran a line from Hettinger, ND to Lemmon, SD in 1946.