lincoln-valley-outlet-thumb

Lincoln Valley Revisited

We revisited Lincoln Valley in May of 2010, and found things quite similar to our last visit, with the obvious exception of the Opp house, which is no longer standing.  The field just to the northeast of Lincoln Valley where it once stood is now entirely farm land and no evidence of it’s existence remains above ground.

Due to a gathering of Lincoln Valley folks which took place recently, we found the tall grass on the town site nicely trimmed.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

The home above, which we affectionately call the Hobbit House, looks about the same as it did last time.

This was our third or fourth trip to Lincoln Valley.  See the photos from our first visit in 2004.

All photos by Troy and Rat, copyright SonicTremorMedia.com

Comments
12 Responses to “Lincoln Valley Revisited”
  1. Erin Huntimer says:

I just love the photos of the outlets. I work for an electric cooperative – makes me wonder what it was like to shut the switch off for the last time.

2. Rick Jensen says:

Thanks for posting the pics and visiting Lincoln Valley. I grew up NW of there about 6 miles or so but was a kid when the last business closed, Leintz Implement. My Dad sold cream there back in the day and talked about the parties on Wednesday and Saturday nites. He said there was hardly any space to park on those nites. :)

3. Rick Jensen says:

I should of said I grew up 6 miles NORTHEAST of there along ND 14.

4. Sharon Klemm says:

These photos are beautiful.

5. Lisa Clark says:

The second to the last photo is a picture of the town bar. My father (who was born in Lincoln Valley) rode a horse into that bar when he was a teenager! My great-grandparents homesteaded just north of Lincoln Valley and the house still stands.

6. Ted says:

I hear rumors of a Lincoln Valley reunion on June 3,4, and 5 of 2011. Any news on this?

7. Paulette Frueh (Feickert) says:

These pictures are breathtaking. I grew up about 2 miles NE, of Lincoln Valley along Hwy 14, and as a little girl I remember going to Lincoln Valley and having a coke with my dad and brothers while waiting for parts from a repair shop. We visited this town alot while growing up, and have many memories and makes me homesick just thinking of those days.

8. terri bwagner gressett says:

My Grandma Philomena Helm and Uncles lived in Lincoln Valley. I remember going with my parents to visit My grandmother and Uncle George and Aunt Elinor Helm. My uncle Louie had the pool hall and bar next to grandma’s house. The last time I saw Lincoln Valley was about 2000, when my oldest sister passed away. She was from Bremen and Harvey. I remember many stories my mother told me of growing up by Lincoln Valley. I would like to buy Uncle Louie’s bar, just for the tin roof.

9. Maya says:

I absolutely LOVE the photo of the electrical outlet with the mosaic wall. GREAT composition and color!

10. Myron Rau says:

I was born and raised NW of Lincoln Valley in the mid 40′s, and my grandfather lived in LV. I have many memories of going there on Wednesday nights to sell the eggs at the store, and cream at Roberts’ Cream Station, and to get some groceries. At the front of the pool hall and bar was a confectionary where you could get an old fashion 25 cent hamburger and ice cream. It was a real treat as a boy to get a hamburger as a reward for a special reason. Meanwhile, the men were all in the back talking farming and politics while drinking beer. The boys liked to tease Conrad C “KK” Reiswig, until he would come out of his house to chase them away. Many people went to Margaretta “Grandma” or “Mutter” Fry with their medical ailments. They thought of her as the “Little Doctor”. Her father was a doctor in Russia, but she had no medical training. Many more memories – - – -.

11. Susan says:

I am wondering why are all these tows abandoned? I thought North Dakota was having an economic boom of sorts. Beautiful, haunting photos.

12. Myron Rau says:

The North Dakota boom has only happened in the last couple of years or so. These very small towns became abandoned way before the boom. When I was young, a farmer could make a living off of 250 acres, milking a few cows, raising a few pigs and chickens like our family did. As times changed, the big farmers bought up the small farms, the old folks died and the younger people moved out of those areas where there were jobs.