bergen-house-thumb

Bergen, ND

McHenry County

Bergen is a near-ghost town in McHenry county, just off Highway 52. Bergen is near Balfour and several other towns we’ve photographed.

US Census Data for Bergen
Total Population by Place

1960 – 52
1970 – 24
1980 – 24
2000 – 11
2010 – 7

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Photos by Troy and Rat, copyright SonicTremorMedia.com

Comments
13 Responses to “Bergen, ND”
  1. Jeff Jacobson says:

Is that one picture of an old school somebody turned into a shop/house or is it some type of old factory? I’ve always wondered when driving by on the highway.

• Cary Anderson says:

The school was built in the 50′s and closed in the 60′s. It was used as a hog barn-I think in the late 60′s-70′s. I think it’s basically used as a storage/garage type building now. The owner has opened it up for Bergen reuinions in the past.

• glenn berland says:

this is the old schoolhouse where my uncle went to school.dont know when it was closed but was in very bad shape when he started repairing.

2. Sherri says:

Not sure what it is now,but believe it was first used to house pigs.

• Judith says:

Excuse me, but this building was the “new school” built in the mid-1950s until consolidation came through in 1965. I went to school there for 9 years. This was the home of the Bergen Vikings, there was a fierce basketball rivalry between Bergen and Balfour, the next burg going east on Highway 52 and the Soo-Line. We were all two-leggeds who went to school there, so this building was definitely not “first used to house pigs”. After the consolidation, most of us were bussed to Velva and, in hindsight, I think it was the Velva School Board that unloaded the property quickly. Sadly, it was adaptively reused as a hog farm.

3. Mark V Haga says:

As a child I used to roam all over Bergen seen all the old building and remember the school just closed and full of books like they were coming back!The old store was open and grampa taking me there in his old car for candy bar.Great memories of Bergen.
    Thanks Mark V. Haga

4. Tammy says:

Does anyone know if any of the homes could be for sale to be renovated?

5. bill says:

yes they cold be

thanks Bill

6. bill says:

I lived on Second ave does anyone rember the Johnsons Paul was his first name!

7. Dave Moxness says:

I graduated from BHS in ’57; classes moved into the new building in Jan. ’55. ( The 1917 building burned on New Years Day, ’54. ) School closed in spring, ’65. Have a brick salvaged from the pile of debris from the old building, by a classmate from ’57.

8. GS says:

the white house in the top of the page is not abandoned, there’s and older man who lives there in the summer and goes to florida for the rest of the year. And the white garage is also owned by him, I have always called him Olley