appam1

Appam, ND

Williams County

Appam, North Dakota is in the extreme northwestern part of the state, just off Highway 50.  Appam was an unincorporated town and there is little census data available.  Although little remains of the original town, the handful of current residents have posted a sign in front of each vacant lot, identifying the structure which once stood on the spot. It was somewhat sobering to see the sheer number of buildings, vanished to the ages.

The terrain around Appam is a rugged grassland, quite dry, and very remote. If you decide to visit this part of the state, prepare well. Cell service in Appam is sketchy at best, and disappears once you leave Highway 50.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

All photos by Troy and Rat, copyright SonicTremorMedia.com

Comments
14 Responses to “Appam, ND”
  1. Erin Huntimer says:

wow – those signs are eerie. almost like grave markers. fantastic work! browsing your website is my new pastime!

Erin from Hannover (probably technically a ghost town, too)

2. Jim Belgum says:

We live in rural Nora township in west central Minnesota. In the late 1800′s and early 1900′s there was a Nora post office here named in honor of Norway, home of most of the immigrant farmers. One of the early families here was the Christophersons who went to northwestern North Dakota maybe about the turn of the last century (ca. 1900). They had a post office called Nora, North Dakota, on their farm that they named after their home area here, although some sources claim it could have been named after a pioneer lady.
    Several years ago an elderly couple from Washington state stopped here to find the homes of his ancestors. The fellow said he was born at Nora, North Dakota. He also said there had been buildings at Nora, but they were all moved to Appam. I see the Christopherson name on the old store at Appam and wonder if anyone has ever heard that it or any other building was moved to Appam from Nora, ND.

3. mnt says:

This is where my grandparents were from.

4. Mike says:

back in the the dance hall was the great place to go I mill my kin from Appam no one stays together anymore John moved off to school works in electronics in NY

5. Jon says:

When I was little I wold always drink too much pop and could not sleep and I would go outside and watch the stars Appam was my home for many years.

6. Gary Folkestad says:

I own the Hendrickson Hardware Store in Appam. It was moved from a town called Plumber..which was north of Alamo. Approx 1920. A string of towns were abandonded because the Railroad changed its route to a southern treck. I will inquire about Nora and other buildings.. With the “Oilboom” Appam is growing. 8/Men 2/Women 4/Children 6/Dogs 3/Cats Wild Animals and a new 8/Lots for camper Man Camp !!! But the antique parts of Appam will remain. if at all possible. Many pass through with fond memories of Appam. Now.. new people are making new memories. Of a unique area.

• Jim Belgum says:

Is there actually still a hardware store in Appam, or is it an empty building that used to be the Hendrickson Hardware Store? There were Hendricksons in our area who also moved out to your area in the late 1800′s or early 1900′s. Do you have any Hendrickson names on an abstract or deed? I found some more documents about the Nora post office telling when it was started and when it closed. It also seemed to move one mile south sometime during its existence. You’ll see some of the Christopherson names in the reply I sent yesterday.

• Maxine says:

I still have and use the lefse rolling pin from Willie Hendrickson.. He gave some of us girls, what he called, the damaged lefse rolling pins, he only sold the best… we were only 10/11 years old… We loved to go and visit with him, and sit in the barber chairs in that little room in the back!! Seems he always had a candy treat for us! He was the towns barber too! He never was married but was like a grandpa to the towns kids…

7. Kathleen says:

My husband is staying in one of those “man camp” campers. I am currently here now and just took a walk around Appam with my 3 kids. It is a beautiful old town in my opinion, full of history. It is nice to see that even though the town has been “lost” it is not forgotten. Reminds me of my childhood when my father would take us to “ghost towns” around the country. Its like walking into the past. Thank you for sharing I will respect your town while Im here.

8. Jim Belgum says:

I’m back again, a year after my first entry. It was fun to read what others have written about Appam, its current condition, and the oil boom. I’m still trying to find out more about the Nora, ND, post office that was near Appam and if any Christopherson descendants are still in the area. I have a page from a 1915 plat book of Divide County showing Smoky Butte township. The Nora post office was on Knute Christopherson’s farm in Section 14. His sister Lillian Jones owned land in the same section, and other Christopherson land was in Section 22 (B. L. Christopherson) and Section 23 (Margit Christopherson

9. Roger says:

My grandfather helped place the signs in Appam back in the 1990′s before he and Grandma moved into Williston. I have fond memories of visiting the Appam grain elevator in the late 70′s, before it was torn down and the railroad tracks removed. Just east of Appam, you will find the old Bethany cemetery, the resting place of the Appam residents of the early 20th century. Tread lightly if you visit.

10. Lorna Heichelheim says:

I grew up in Appam. My parents were Lloyd and Myrtle Esterby. My name is Lorna. My brothers Kenny and Loren, live next door to each other in Appam. My sister, Karen, is married and has 2 boys. They live in Dickinson. Kenny has 2 boys and a girl. My neice and nephews are pretty much grown up now. I’m married and live with my husband and 2 boys in Longmont, CO. We usually get up to Appam every summer to visit for a few days, and then at Christmas every year. It’s refreshing for me to get “back home”.

11. I also grew up there on a farm just north of Appam. Was in the same class as Lorna H. Now live in Tacoma Wa after joining Navy right out of high school.

12. Danielle says:

First of all, I have to say, I love this website. . . it is VERY well done, and i’ve spent hours on here, alongside Google earth . . . My husband has recently joined in on the oil boom in North Dakota, and we are considering moving there. . . We currently live about 16 hours from Williston where he is working, and we have an 8 year old daughter that misses her daddy when he’s gone. My stipulation to move there, is that it is a small town, and in the country, because i refuse to sell my horses, they are part of the family too! I’ve been on numerous maps and real estate sights, and honestly, this site will play a bigger part in my decision than any of the other sites I’ve visited. Although the stories and photos make me sad, it is great to see all of the people that have “re-found” their lives through them, and all the connections they have, even if they are decades old. We live on the Keweenaw Peninsula, in VERY Northern Michigan, and it is the norm, to drive 50 miles one direction, and see quite a few signs for a town that no longer exists. It was a very lively place during the copper boom a century ago, but that has come to pass, and it seems to be dwindling here too. I know with the oil boom North Dakota is “growing” to an extent, but i have no desire to live in a big town or a city. Where we live today, it is a 20 mile drive to the nearest Wal-Mart, which i don’t shop at, if i can’t get it here, from a mom and pop shop, i don’t really need it (at least that’s what i tell myself). There are many towns on this site where i would love to live, and who knows, maybe someday the population will be plus 3 . . .and two dogs. . .and four horses. . .and a donkey. . .