The McGregor town site was established in 1910 and assumed the name of a nearby rural post office which had been established five years earlier. We visited McGregor, in Williams County about 45 miles northeast of Williston, in 2010 and we were somewhat surprised by the large number of vacant buildings.
Although McGregor does not appear in the Census records (it’s an unincorporated community) a population of 250 was reported for 1920. We would roughly estimate the population at around 20 on the day we visited, but McGregor is more active today due to its oil patch location.
During our visit we could see birds going in and out through the hole in the roof of the school.
A sleepy Saturday in McGregor.
The relic of something long gone.
All photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC