roth1

Roth, ND

Bottineau County

Thank you to Miranda Schuler of Upload Photography for contributing these photos of Roth. Her comments: Here are the first photos I collected of Roth, ND today. I’d like to go back and get a few closer shots of the old pink house, but the ground was too wet to walk out there due to the recent heavy rains. Roth is a very small town between Souris and Westhope, ND and I would guess there may be 3-4 families living there. Most people in the area are familiar w/ the pink house, however I was unable to get any info on it.

An interesting side note – Roth was originally intended to be named Carbury, but due to a mixup, the signs were switched and never corrected.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Photos by Miranda Schuler, copyright Upload Photography.

Comments
17 Responses to “Roth, ND”
  1. Sandy says:

very nice…that house sure has some character…makes you wonder the story behind it.

2. Gene Walton says:

The town of Roth is where my Grandparents lived .My grandfather was agent or the Great Northern Railway the one building I believe was the general store and post office. My grandparents house was across the street from the postoffice.

• Joyce Wright says:

Oh, I just stumbled upon this site. My Mom, who just celebrated her 90th birthday, is from Roth and always spoke so fondly of “the Waltons” who I believe were good friends with her family. My Mom’s maiden name was Alice Holsten, and her parents, Otto and Mae Holsten, had a farm nearby…

• Gene Walton says:

I remember my grand parents having the Holstens at their house when we were there for a visit. Im sure they were good friends and spoke often of them. Gene walton Detroit Lakes Mn.

• Sheldon J. Stackelhouse says:

My Mother, Mabel Johnson (she was born and raised in Willow City) use to teach school in Roth in the late 1930′s. She boarded at Olaf and Mary Johnson’s farm, which I believe was just west and south of the town. She knew the Walton’s if I remember correctly and I have a small ceramic pitcher that was given too her with the inscription in part: “Charnhom, Roth, North Dakota.” I am not sure of the spelling of Charnhom as I don’t have the pitcher with me here in SD. Anyway, I would appreciate any information on the memtioned families and or the school building, etc. Thank you, Sheldon J. Stackelhouse

3. Gary says:

What a beautiful old house, whose character suggests a vision of promise held by its builders, owners. I love pictues like this!

Thank you for posting!

4. Bob Hoffman says:

Does anyone know of a town called “Dell”?I have a plate that has the 1909 calendar on it with the words; Compliments of Henry Dell–Dell, North Dakota.
    Bob Hoffman

5. Helen says:

My grandparents lived about a mile west and north of Roth. My Mom went to school there. I believe one of the pictures is of the grocery store. If you went to the back of the store, they sold some clothes. It was a great place to go when you wee a small child.

6. Dave says:

Looking for any information on one Martin A. Erickson – he owned various power companies in this part of the state between 1921 and 1931. Rugby Light & Power Co. (1921-1927), a private company at Willow City (1927-1931), owner of the Erickson Power Co. (1928-1930 – served Westhope, Antler, Kuroki, Landa, Roth, Souris), and attempted to establish an utility to compete with Kenmare Light & Power Service / Montana-Dakota Power at Kenmare around 1928.

7. Tammy J. Elliott says:

We are a Family That actually Lives In Roth..One Person Mentioned it looks like a place With Promise. That is exactly what I feel At home in Roth..

8. Pat Fege says:

My aunt and uncle, Niny and Howard Nordmark lived in Roth, and I visited there as a child. They lived across the street from the school. I remember Roth as a quiet place with long summer evenings and beautiful sunsets.

• Steven Melosky says:

Hi, I purchased the house and furnishings at 4 Roth Road from the Nordmark’s daughter in 2003. I always had a good feeling living there where the Nordmarks lived so many years. I moved and sold the house to Mark & Tammy Elliott who still live there today.

9. Angela Lundy says:

I grew up in the town of Westhope, about 10 miles or so west of Roth. I remember driving by the pink house as a kid and wondering about it. I continue to wonder and I am 40 plus years old. I’m going to try and do some checking with relatives and see if I can find anything out on this house.

• Sherry Albright says:

I grew up in Roth. My parents bought the house from Mary Johnson. I spent many days at the Charnholm store. Loren Charnholm was my best friend in town. We were friends of the Waltons, Nelsons, Charnholms, Fevolds and others. I went to the country school and at one time the pink house was lived in by one of our teachers. My family still lives and farms near Roth.

10. Tiffany says:

If you would like information on the pink house talk to Forest Nordmark. He owns the land that the house is built on. It is believed that the Nordmarks built the house.

11. Gwen Olson (Charnholm) says:

The Store was own by Otto and Louise Charnholm who was my Grandparents. The one house belonged to Ing Nelson

• I HAVE BEEN IN THAT STORE WHEN I WAS A KID MY GRANDMOTHER BOUGHT ME A PAIR OF COVERALLS WITH SUSPENDERS SO I COULD LOOK LIKE A FARMER. HILMA SKAADEN WAS HER NAME THEY FARMED SOUTH OF ROTH . THE CHARNHOLMS LATER ( ALOT LATER) had a drive in A W UP AT THE LAKE METIGOSHE. I ALSO REMEMEBER HAULING GRAIN TO ROTH WITH MY GRANDFATHER (MARTIN SKAADEN) . HE GOT KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT JUST SOUTH OF ROTH (HAULING GRAIN) . MY COUSINS STILL FARM THERE.