souris5

Souris, ND

Bottineau County

Thank you to Miranda Schuler of Upload Photography for contributing these photos of Souris. Her comments: Souris didn’t have as much to offer as I was hoping for. I remember as a chld going to the school auction when they closed it down, and there were few people in the town. However, with the increased oil activity, it’s actually a got very few abandoned buildings. I took some pics of the bank and the old school though. My folks have a farm in the Souris area and told me that the whole town and area around has leased out the mineral rights, so that may be breathing some new life into the whole area.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

souris4

souris5

Photos by Miranda Schuler, copyright Upload Photography.

Comments
10 Responses to “Souris, ND”
  1. sandra says:

I taught at the school the year it closed. I have wonderful memories of my time there..thank you for posting this!

2. John Fairweather says:

I grew up in Souris. Our farm was 1/4 mile south of town. I have often wondering what happened to all the buildings along main street. I believe Hilmen’s Hardware burned but I know nothing about the other buildings.

3. Jennifer (Siercks) Moum says:

I went to school in Souris for my elementary years. Lots of great memories there of teachers/staff and classmates alike! It closed the doors about two years after I was out. :(

Thank you for including “my” town and the ones nearby (Roth, Landa)!

(Should have pictures of the Swedish church north of Souris in this grouping!)

• JENNIER I BELEIVE YOUR DAD IS BILLY SIERCKS. I HAD DINNER WITH HIM LAST KNIGHT IN CALIF (SOUTHERN) WE TALKED ABOUT LANDA, SOURIS, ROTH. I MADE A PHONE CALL TO SOMEBODY IN BOTTINEAU COUNTY GOT A WRONG NUMBER BUT THAT DID NOT MATTER THE PEOPLE THAT ANSWERED I KNEW I BELEIVE THAT I AM LUCKY TO HAVE BEEN FROM THERE THE GREATEST PEOPLE I MISSED IT REGARDS RICK SKAADEN

• Jennifer Moum says:

Rick-

Billy is my father’s cousin! Gene is my father. :) Glad you had a great time with Billy and have the same fond memories of the area that I do.

Jen

• Bert Garwood says:

Gene was one of my best friends in high school. Bev and Howard were in my grade, and Gene a year younger. I still occasionally have dreams about the halls of Souris Public School.

4. Brent Billehus says:

My father graduated from Souris High School in 1950. My dad is Gene Billehus and lived on a farm 1 mile east of Lesje Church. His father was Arthur Billehus. My family is related to the Tonnyson’s and Lindstrom. I remember stopping in Souris in the early ’70s. My father was a great basketball player. The BB team practiced outside until the gymnasium was built in 1948.

5. Jim Benjaminson says:

I taught school in Souris for a few years and also have fond memories of the town — or what little there was of it at the time. I remember Bert Garwood, the Siercks kids, etc. I was there the day of the auction and bought a set of three history books from the school library — that I had tried to buy before I left town. I have fond memories of “my” gang of boys and returned for Sherman Tolstad’s funeral after the MS finally took him from us. Does anyone remember that two automobiles were built in Souis back in 1908? August Frykman built the two Frykman Friction Drive Autos there. The Frykman’s were later Ford dealers in nearby Bottineau.

6. Clif Nelson says:

Jim B. ,is this the Jim that I know from the car club VALLEY CRUISERS…If so,I learn something new about you every time I turn around..

7. Jim Benjaminson says: