Hanks, ND

By / July 19, 2010 / Hanks, ND

Williams County

Thank you to John Piepkorn for contributing these photos of Hanks. John’s comments: I stopped in Hanks, North Dakota and took some pictures of the remaining structures. I also talked to the one remaining resident for about 15 minutes, she said she had heard of Ghosts of North Dakota, and I asked if I could take a few pictures of the town.

I took some of an abandoned house at the top of the hill, some of the cemetery which is north of town on a gravel road about 1/4 mile, some pics of what the lady described as the old bank, although it had a gas pump outside of it and the interior looked like someone had used it as a house, and one other old house. The old school is used as a museum now which is open only on sunday afternoons.

Photos by John Piepkorn
Original content copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

About Author

ghostsofnorthdakota

41 Comments

Tom Pence

All the galleries are good but you simply cannot beat western ND and the beauty of the land.

Laurie Richard

This is so sad…i mean i drove by Hanks a billion times as i grew up in Grenora, but never remember even going INTO Hanks or Zahl. Thanks for the pictures.

Michael F. Schultz

Thanks so much for your comments, and you might find my recent post to be of interest. I’m a descendent of the Schultzes, original Hanks homesteaders, and in your time, the farm was run by the Al Lacqua family. Best Regards. Mike Schultz

Maurya Laqua

Al Laqua…correct spelling…he was my great uncle. My grandpa Francis turns 90 in August. Last of that generation living. He is very proud of his Hanks roots. I’ve been on the heritage tour a couple of times.

Greg Foreman

I remember Hanks, in Junior High, we use to go there from Grenora and watch the dances they had there. Some were pretty exciting. Fun times. What a neat area. A lot of good memories.

wayne buechler

new to nd….(4yrs)one of the most beautiful places i’ve ever seen

Cynthia M Olson

I drove through Hanks to get to get home every day growing up. My X sister in law, Deb Quarne and 65 horses are all that remain now.

jpipsqueak

I talked to Deb when I was there, it was interesting to hear about things from someone who is the only resident of the town.

Patsy

That would be my Grandma’s house that is left in Hanks! Spent lots of my childhood at that house and exploring the old abandon buildings, sometimes with Debbie 😀

Michael F. Schultz

Patsy – you might find my recent post to be of interest. My grandparents’ house is in the pictures, and it subsequently owned by Al Lacqua. Best regards. Mike

Chris M.

That’s our family farm. So many good memories at that place. Interesting to see, but sad in many ways as that chapter of my life is closed. I live a thousand miles away and think about the farm daily. Hanks North Dakota was at one time known as Mesa, North Dakota. Just a bit of information for you.

jpipsqueak

Which one was your farm Chris, the one with the corral and the international truck or the really old one up on the hill. When did you live there and when did you leave and all that stuff?

Jason Nelson

I grew up in the area and remember the parades they used to have there. My mother, my siblings and I used to pick juneberries just up the hill from Hanks. We even sledded down a couple of the hills in the wintertime, good fun!

Baltimore Bob AKA Sinner

Wow, just about everyone who ever lived in Hanks must has written something here. I read about Hanks in National Geographic Magazine not too long ago. I can’t imagine how Deb handles the loneliness. I’d go insane. Remember the movie, “The shinning”? I plan on going to see Hanks on my cross country motorcycle trip. I hope I’m lucky enough to meet Deb. One can always learn something from someone with such a strong fortitude. I’ll have to think of something nice she would like as a gift. We’re the same age so it shouldn’t be too difficult to think of something, Oh, you lucky people who got to grow up where the air is clean, the sky is full of stars and you don’t have to sit in traffic hour after hour. Although, you can keep the cold weather.

Buy American. Buy a Harley Davidson.

Dave

I grew up on a farm just a few miles north, and went to Hanks grade school for 6th though 8th grade. Fond memories include going to Hanks to play Halloween tricks, playing on the Hanks Grade school basketball team – where I was the tallest kid – but my basketball career ended in Hanks since I didn’t grow any more, whereas other boys kept growing in height in high school. But while it lasted, it was great fun traveling around to neighboring towns for basketball games and tournaments. Also fond memories of the Grade School carnivals and donkey basketball games held in the Hanks school gym. Finally, the joy of picking june berries in the ravines to the north and west of Hanks.

Michael F. Schultz

Dave, you might find my recent post to be of interest. My grandparents’ house and farm are in the pictures, and were subsequently owned by the Al Lacqua family. All the best regards. MIke

Bruce

My grandmother used to help a farmer named Knute Knudson near Hanks I was there in the 50’s and 60’s off and on. They had a house in Williston and the farm near Hanks. My two brothers and I went into the stores of the abandoned buildings and collected neon signs and stuff…which are all gone now from an abandoned storage shed my mom left behind. Sad to see the few buildings left there. The big train museum in Sacramento, CA has a mail car in it…about 20 years ago I was very surprised to see that in the mail car was a slot for Grenora..I think there was one for Hanks too…small world!

Beryl

My mother, Ruth grew up in Hanks and her Dad ran the hardware store with gas pump. I admire their strength through the depression and weather. Thanks so much for sharing!

Dori Moorhead Torkildson

My grandparents Ben & Dorothy Moorhead lived in Hanks when I was a kid. Their house was right behind the bank building. Spent many hours there exploring & running around the town with my siblings & my cousins. A lot of great family memories!!

Corey Greve

My grandmother Olive Greve grew up on a farm southwest of Hanks. She was born in 1920, and her dad’s name was John Fremsted. Apparently there are photos of him in the museum. I have not made it there, yet. I have relatives in the Grenora and Williston areas. As a kid (in the late 70’s and early 80’s) we went to family reunions at the farm of Laurel and Ivan Olson. Laurel is my grandma Olive’s sister.

Back around 1999, we had a 90th birthday party for Ivan and a small family reunion. I was lucky enough to get a ride around the countryside with my grandma and her sister, and they showed us their old home site (just a field now) and the old school house they attended. It is still standing, and is in use as grain storage. It was great to hear their stories of travel and travail from life in the northern plains.

I live in Idaho now, but I grew up in Minnesota. Grandma Olive is still alive and well, aged 92, and lives in Luverne, MN.

This site is really amazing. It was recently shown to me by a friend from MN. I can’t stop reading and looking, and I have been up too late for several nights in a row. I travel through North Dakota with some regularity, and have been through several of the towns listed. I just made a trip across highways 12 and 2 back in September. Wish I had seen this site before, I would have had a little more insight into some of the history of the wonderful small towns along the way. I’ll pay closer attention next time.

Thanks for creating and building upon this site. It is truly fantastic.

Cheryl

Hi Corey! I am Laurels daughter Cheryl Greve. I live in Williston and if you get a chance get ahold of me next time you are up here. I will get ahold of the Laqua that takes care of the Hanks museum and we can go in. Ivan has a lot of stuff in there too. It is only open on sundays in the summer. My email address is ckihle123@hotmail.com

Corey Greve

Cheryl, good to see you on this wonderful site. Not sure how long it has been since we met in person.

I will be in Luverne in a couple of weeks for Olive’s 95th birthday. I can’t wait.

I won’t be able to make it to Hanks on this trip, but maybe next time. I will be in touch.

curtis w mosher

My wife grew up on a farm just a few miles south of hanks. Her dad attended school there for a few years and her grandmother ran a store there. Its a beautiful spot in the state. I got a kick out of the old coal mine entrances you can see from the highway.

Aj T.

My great uncle ran the elevator in Hanks during the 60’s. His name was Ed Bertsch. He recently passed away in Brooten, MN after living there for 30+ years and running that elevator.

Ilonna Pederson

My Grandmother and her Mother homesteaded south of Hanks. Their names were Anna and Marie Hammer.
They were from the area called Gulbtandsalen, Norway. My Grandmother Anna, married John O Pederson and
moved to his homestead near Bonetrail. I would like to be in touch with anyone from these areas or had relatives
that homesteaded near Hanks or Bonetrail.
Ilonna Pederson
Pedersonib@aol.com
917-293-6499

Michael F. Schultz

My grandfather, Herman A. Schultz, originally of Green Lake, WI, was the original pioneer homesteader in Hanks, ND, in about 1902. We still own the land and the farm buildings are in the first picture in your series. My Grandmother, Helvine Ausland Schultz, was the first teacher in the school in your pictures. My father, Frederick HC Schultz, graduated from Hanks High School in 1938, with 5 other seniors, in this school in which grades 1-12 were taught. The last 2 pictures in the interior of an abandoned house, are of my gransparents’ home, which I visited many times. The abandoned house beautifully depicted at the top of the hill, belonged to my great uncle and aunt, Edward and Pauline Schilke Schultz. From these humble origins my father went on to become a university physics department chairman. He lived 92 years and passed away last week. Late in life, his distinguished academic and scienfitic career notwithstanding, his fondest memories were of life on the farm in Hanks, and World War II Navy Service. His ashes will be interred in the Hanks Cemetery, also in your pictures.

Fay Andersen

I was in 3rd grade in Hanks in 1950-51. Gladys Rodvold was my teacher and my mother taught the upper grade room. I met a lot of nice people there. I have kept in touch with some through Facebook. A few years ago, I stopped by to take a picture of the school which is now a museum. I couldn’t figure out where to go to find the person that had the key. I would really liked to have seen it.
My mother and I picked choke cherries south of Hanks. Someone was kind enough to invite us. The best jelly I have ever tasted!!

Tom Anderson

Fay: I believe my first grade teachers first name was Gladys – not sure but I am sure I got my back end warmed up for talking to much on the first day!

Tom Anderson

My dad’s family homesteaded I believe just South of Hanks and I went to the first grade in Hanks in 1947. I started school when I was five as requested of my family due to the fact that I would have been the only kid for that grade the next year. My grandmother lived just down the hill from main street, I remember going with my aunt Agneta to fetch water from the community well. My dad and his brothers all worked at the elevator once they returned from the war, I was born in California during the war, my mother was from Williston. My grandmother was a Murphy, married Einar Anderson and widowed early on, then remarried to an Erkie, then widowed again. The things I remember from so many years ago – the big hill that all the motorcycle guys would try to conquer just a short ways from the general store, the Catholic church just across from where we lived that we attended, my uncle Frank Murphy’s home with the gold star in the front door, my uncle Joe’s DKW motorcycle that was a war souvenir and the apple box on the back wall of grandma’s house that had a gunny sack over it that was wet down to cool whatever was placed inside it. Most likely my directions are incorrect because those memories are from a long time ago and I doubt that I ever knew what North, South, East and West were in those days.

Kathy Sivertson

Tom~ My grandparents were Frank and Cornelia Murphy that lived across from the Catholic Church. My mother, Agnes Murphy Stewart, is their only living child. I read this post to her and she is wondering if your dad was Andrew? As kids we spent a lot of time in Hanks.

Michael Schultz

Kathy,

My dad, Frederick Schultz, and my aunt, Grace Schultz Pharris, went to school with your mother, and her brothers and sisters. I believe my grandmother,, Helvine Ausland Schults, was the first teacher in the Hanks school. When we were kids we loved to hear my dad’s stories of growing up on the farm in Hanks. I remember hearing your grandparents’ names, as well as that of your uncle, Bernard Murphy. My aunt died many years ago, and my dad passed away early this year.

Mike Schultz

Tom Anderson

Kathy; yes my father’s name is Andrew and we lived just down the street from Uncle Frank. I can still picture the living room with the picture of the navel ship with crew above the couch.

Kathy Johnson

I spent many days in Hanks staying with my Grandparents, Ben and Dorothy Moirhead. It was a big deal to go those 6 miles into Hanks from the farm and get to stay with them. Lots of love in that home

Shannon Olson

I grew up in Williston and had relatives in Hanks. I remember all the Summer picnics and museum tours. I also remember being in grade school and setting out to sneak into the abandoned houses, many seemed untouched at that time. I would look in wonder at the old wonderful things, and open books that smelled of must. I think those days were the birth of my love of vintage. I now live in the Eastern half of ND, but will always remember growing up out West and will always love the great state of North Dakota!

Maria Ortberg Willer

My mother, Louella Erkie Ortberg was born/raised/lived at Hanks. The coal mine/home was just east of Hanks.