trotters2

Trotters, ND

Golden Valley County
Vacant as of 7/10

In terms of driving distance from any other town in North Dakota, Trotters may be the most remote townsite in the state. It is a true ghost town, with just a church and former gas station remaining. On an assignment from GhostsOfNorthDakota.com, Monica Hardy made the drive out to the edge of the Little Missouri National Grassland and captured these photos.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Copyright SonicTremorMedia.com

Comments
33 Responses to “Trotters, ND”
  1. Lori says:

I have photos of the inside of that church from a couple years ago, if interested in seeing them email me.

• Jean says:

I do Genealogy and just found one of the “kin” buried in Trotter..??? is there a cemetery? how many years since anyone has lived there.? She died in 1919…
      Thanks…was glad to see your note..
      Jean Hanson
      hanson.jean@gmail.com

• DJ Buchanan says:

my relatives used to live just outside there, in 1968 as a family we visited them
        we mowed and spruced up the church yard whilw there, the gas station used to be
        an all in one, gas, post office, general store, at that time only one old guy lived
        right there, i went thru there by myself in 1976 and it was still pretty much the same then to!!

2. John H says:

I lived in Trotters in 77 to 79 I have some kin burried from 1899 to 1919 no head stones I miss the gas station we lived just south of there. Does anyone know of the old cemetery there. Its not close to the church and has indians buried there I was told!!!

• Denise says:

The cemetery is north of the Trotters Church several miles. It’s called the Sunnyside Cemetery and some of the graves are listed in Findagrave.com but not all.

3. carson says:

I had heard that there were a lot of Idiana graves close to the town. Trotters was another great twon that is no more I remember getting gas at the station in the picture

4. Ed says:

I had stopped in Trotters for gas when passing through there I miss the town and the people who owned the gas station.

5. Idigirl says:

I have a girlfriend who was married at this church in the early 90′s. It was in the middle of nowhere but still kept up for being so far out. Sad to see it now…

6. jerry hesse says:

i was born in trooters in 1935 i still may have some relatives in the area,the last time i was there was 1966/67 my grandfather homesteaded there and had the store,postoffice/gas station.and belive the chruch pastor.my mother left trottters around 1937.

• Renae Smith says:

Hey, I live in Trotters community and it is wonderful up here. We have many great neighbors and get to gethers during branding and shipping of calves. We are not too vacant. We would also love to get the store up and running again, but the family that owns does not want to sell or lease it out. Too bad it is in a great location with the oil boom now.

• Melissa Zeis says:

Who owns the Church? Do they ever have services there anymore? We lived not too far from there for the summer and my husband used to hunt there years ago…fond memories. If you know how we could find out more about the church please respond. Melissa Zeis, mzeis@cableone.net

• DJ Buchanan says:

your family was’nt the Spears by chance?? had a ranch just northwest of town about 10-15 miles
        raised cattle, then horses?

7. Melissa Zeis says:

My husband used to hunt around Trotters in the ’70s. He camped next to the gas station and remembered the church. I am temporarily working near New Town and staying in Watford City. He came out with me and decided to take a “road trip” down to see the area. He has many fond memories. Is there somewhere that a person can find out more of the history of the church and postoffice/general store?

8. Kaelan A. says:

My dad’s story telling me of their family going out to visit family friends in trotters brought me here today. He said they went in the mid 60s, and they went into the post office/store and asked “where can we find so and so” and the man behind the counter said, “well, why dont you turn around and ask him yourself, hes leaning against that wall right there” Talk about the definition of small town! I showed him these pictures without saying where they were and he instantly recognized the place!

9. Ben says:

I have fond memories of Trotters. We used to go hunting that area in the 80s and early 90s, and would often stay at Trotters. Leonard, the kind old man who ran the post office/ gas station/ store, would let us camp there and use the electricity and water. I haven’t been back in many years. Sadly, I’m sure Leonard is gone and the town has faded. Good memories there though.

10. Dean says:

I too have great memories of hunting around trotters in the 80s and 90s. We camped by the store quite a few times. Leanord Hall, who was the postmaster and ran the store, was a great guy. Always had a story to tell. His family had a ranch just east of Trotters. I think it ended up being the southern cross ranch and was sold for big money a few years back? If my memory is correct I think they moved the church from the east to the west side of the highway when the highway was rebuilt sometime in the late 80s? We still drive through Trotters every time we hunt the Badlands. Many memories and awesome scenery.

11. Jim says:

My grandfather homesteaded west of Trotters. His place straddled the Montana-North Dakota line. I spent most of my summers in the 50s working on their place and I remember Trotters well.

• Judy says:

Who was your grandpa? (Typical Montana question!) I am from the MT side of the line. My husband is from the ND side.

• Jim says:

My grandfather was Joe Stewart. Their ranch house was on the Montana side. One of my uncles carried the mail between Trotters and a tiny post office in a farm kitchen in Been, MT.

• Ren Tescher says:

We lived S.W. of Trotters in the mid1960′s. At night we could see yard lights off to our N.W. a neighbor girl (Gorrell) said it was “Stewarts”.

12. Judy says:

I passed by Trotters on my way to and from Williston earlier this week. It had been a month or so since I had been up that way. I noticed the church had been painted recently!

13. chris stephens says:

Anyone know of Alice Kramer?

14. Lynn Mickelson says:

Does anyone remember Bill and Florence Voyen? I believe she was the postmaster there in the 1940′s and early 1950′s.

15. Ren Tescher says:

Leonard Hall ran the Gas Station.

• Angie Lang says:

I remember visiting the Trotters Store as a kid. I would ride with my dad (Hal Lang) as he delivered the mail on the route north of Beach. I loved to see Leonard and my dad always visited with him. I think it was a highlight of the day for both of them! My dad let me get a candy bar to keep me satisfied until we got back to Beach.

• Lynn Mickelson says:

Hi, Angie,
        Nice to see another posting for Trotters. I asked in a previous posting above (Sept.14, 2013) about if anyone remembers Bill & Florence Voyen. Since your dad delivered mail from there, is there any chance that you remember these folks? I am thinking that Florence was the postmaster there in the 40′s and early 50′s. It was the mid 50′s when they moved all the way to the eastern part of ND (30 miles south of Fargo) to Bill’s home farm which was directly across the river from my home place. I remember them saying that they came from Trotters. Of course, at that time, I had no clue where Trotters even was. I was somewhere in the 6-8 age group.

16. David "WhiteThunder" Trottier says:

I have lived in ND for the majority of my life, so far, and have always wanted to travel to Trotters just because of its name. It’s on my bucket list. I wonder who it is named for?

• Denise says:

I just posted a few photos on Findagrave.com and Leighton and Pearl Trotter are among them. There’s a plaque at the church that says “In Memory of Mrs. Pearl Omley” but I don’t know if she’s connected to the Pearl Trotter in the cemetery. Dates of death are 60 years apart. There is memoir in my family that refers to a church from Beach (or possibly the Rocky Butte/Sentinel Butte area) being moved to Trotters under the supervision of Joseph Middleton, but I’m not sure how accurate that is. Historical group in Medora may know.

It’s a beautiful area, especially on a sunny day. I wish there was a way to post another picture of the church – I took a really beautiful photo that gives it a much different feeling than the ones here.

• Ren Tescher says:

IIRC, an old couple with the name Omley (or at least sounded like that) lived NE of Camel’s Hump (Sentinel Butte) back in the 1970′s.