kloten1

Kloten, ND

Kloten is situated about forty miles south of Highway 2, about halfway between Devils Lake and Grand Forks. Accurate population figures are difficult to find. Kloten’s population was reported at a suspiciously round number of 150 for many years, however our census records going back as far as 1960 do not include population reports for Kloten.

Nathan Mastrud contributed these photos of Kloten with the following comments:

Sign leading to Kloten reads “Dead End” but it still carried us through town. Maybe around 6-10 households remain in Kloten. Some of them were hard to tell if the were inhabited or not because most of the the yards were mowed …even the yards of houses that appeared abandoned. Also few of the remaining ones appeared to have a never ending yard sale.

The Kloten grain elevator still looms over the west side of town and a church still remains.

Photos by Nathan Mastrud & Punchgut Studio

Comments
121 Responses to “Kloten, ND”
  1. Shelley (Hillesland) Kisena says:

I wonder if I can find Verna Paulson, any Christophersons, Krogh, Harold Habaak, etc….we lived in Kloten from 1963 thru 1967…great place, but hard on adults…:)

• Melissa Kueber says:

Shelly,

I’m Betty Christoferson’s daughter… if you want my family’s addresses, please send me an email to: melissa.kueber@yahoo.com

• Shelley (Hillesland) Kisena says:

Sorry, I have not been on this website…I will e-mail you and thanks alot! so sorry for the loss of your mother, the three years I knew her, a great person…!

• Connie Lewis says:

I am Connie Christofferson Lewis. Contact me and I can give you an update of or contact information for a lot of people. Kloten was a great place in our times, but it certainly has changed.

• Joyce Jordan says:

Hi Connie. Hope all is well with you. Would love to hear the news of your family.
        I have lost touch with your sister Nancy….do you have an email for her.
        Loved growing up there, sad to see so much falling down. A Wonderful chilhood; great memories.
        Will they ever have another all school reunion again?

• Hi from Ramona Solberg Langness. I went to grade school in Kloten (1953-1960). My Mom, Ida Solberg taught grades 1-3 there at the same time. I heard that Kloten had a reunion this summer. Anyone know when that took place? We stopped by Kloten on our way to Hostfest in Minot 2 years ago. Sure brought back great memories. My email is brlmnwa@gmail.com. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers those those years!

• Grace Jacobson Ritter says:

Hey Shelley,

We were in the same class, looonngg time ago. It was great seeing these pics on here. Great memories!

• Richard Krogh says:

I am grandson of William Krogh that was postmaster in Kloten. I last visited Kloten in 1965 as a 15 year old. My parents Bill and Agnes had moved to California in the late 1950’s and this was my last visit. My grandparents had a house on the north side of town, just across from the church. I spent a short time in the brick schoolhouse in Kloten before we moved to California, From the posts I read, it sounds like the school is gone and the church is no longer there. Does anyone know if my grandparents house still stands? Any chance the post office still stands. Thank you for any info. I hope to travel back to Kloten and hope something I remember still stands. I have Great memories of Kloten, mainly the marshmallow roasts burning the leaves in the fall. My hat is off to anyone still living in Kloten!

• Janis (christofferson) Jaeger says:

Richard-your Grandparents house is still standing but it is vacant. The church is still standing but all the items inside were auctioned off 2 years ago. The post office that your Grandfather was postmaster was torn down in the 70’s as well as the schoolhouse. There is not much left in the town. So sad that the lovely town that I grew up in has dwindled to only to about 7 people living there full time. Was it your parents who took pictures of a mock wedding that was in your Grandparents yard with their kids and some of the Kloten kids??

2. Karen Meter says:

So terribly sad and forlorn. Someone long ago raised a family there and thrived.

3. Verna (Paulson) Lindvall says:

Hi Shelley! I didn’t know about this site until a friend (Jennifer Burthold Larson) told me you were looking for me here. I still live on a farm northwest of McVille with husband Bob. Am now teaching 4-12 music in McVille and Petersburg. We have 3 children and one grandson. How are you doing?

Verna

4. Lance Olson says:

My father used to take his mechanic work to a mechanic in Kloten. I believe his name was Alvin Rude. He had the cleanest mechanic shop I have ever seen. Does anybody else remember?

• Angela says:

It was Alvin Lee. I used to live in Kloten and would drive my bike down to his shop any time my tires needed air.

• Verna (Paulson) Lindvall says:

Yes his name was Elvin Ree. He had a VERY neat shop. He passed away several years ago.

• Shelley (Hillesland) Kisena says:

Ha,ha,ha…yes, Elvin/Alvin Ree…good man, many people depended on him…a great mechanic everyone said! :) I was 12 when we left there….

• Alvin Franson says:

I lived in Kloten for most of my growing up years and attended school there. The mechanic was Elvin Ree, and he once rebuilt a ford engine for me.

• Darrell Galde says:

That was the late Alvin Ree. He was the last remaining historian for Kloten. His garage is now owned by a mechanic and machinery collector named Larry Hagen.

• Adolph L. Lilke says:

His name was Elvin J. Ree – born 8/5/1912 – died 9/21/1999. He had not been seen at his shop for a couple of days – someone went to his house and discovered him sitting in his chair, coffee cup at hand, and the TV on in front of him. He, Gustav Locken, and my dad were fishing buddies for many years. He gave a presentation on Kloten history at the first Kloten School reunion held on July 1-2, 1978.

• Amy (Zimprich) Feland says:

Loved Alvin Ree!! I was just a kid, but he always let us come in and sit behind the desk with him for the fun of it! He was VERY clean!!

• Eric Ree says:

Hi all,
      Elvin Ree was my great uncle. I’m from California, but I spent many a summer vacation in Kloten as a kid. Now I go back every year for the duck opener. My cousins still own Elvin and his sister Edna Ree’s old house. Elvin was a great uncle indeed. He would give us rides on the running board of his old car and on the tractor. I loved hanging out in his shop. It was immaculate. He inherited the shop from his dad Julian, who started it as a blacksmith shop. Elvin took over the shop with my grandfather Adolph Ree until Adolph moved his family to California. Their other brother Jens Ree moved to Minnesota after college and WWII. My dad, Jerome, only lived in Kloten until he was 6 or 7 but remembers everyone, all the Kloten families. Dad is still doing well and living in Utah.
      I’m new to this sight but it has me spellbound as I have seen many an old building disappear in and around Kloten. My favorite was the barn about 3 miles northeast of town on the Knutson farm. There is still a great looking abandoned house northeast of town on the wildlife preserve. I have some great photos of Kloten and the surrounding farms and buildings.
      If you’re ini Kloten, I’ll see you next October.

• Steve Ree says:

What a wonderful site. My brother Marc, and I own the Ree house on the NW corner of town. We spent many summer weeks in Kloten with Edna and Elvin Ree, our Aunt and Uncle. Every fall we go hunting and occasionally we spend a few days in the summer. Along with our cousins Jerome, Kurt and Eric, we have have kept up with both the history and the current events of the area. When my Dad, Jens Ree died, some of his ashes ended up scattered in his favorite slough after a 12 gun salute from his hunting protege’ Some of my ashes will be there as well when the time comes. There is nothing quite like the sunrise and and the sunset on the prairie. The cooing of the doves, the distant honk of a goose. I sleep well there.
        Please contact me. Steve Ree Rice, Mn sree800800@aol.com. I have tons of pictures.

• My aunt Rhea Sundre owned the family farm and I used to visit it in 1950. There’s a row of trees on one side and it sits on a small knoll. The Norwegian church and cemetery were across the street. 1995 ? I went to see my great uncles Eugene and Clarence Sundre. They took me about 20 miles from Northwood where they lived to see the old farmhouse where they (9 kids) grew up. The big white house was still looking good inside and out. The floors were polished and they had enclosed the porch. But it had been vacant for many years. They were close to 90 when I think Clarence was mowing the lawn and died of burns he received from filling up the lawnmower. I’m going with my Son to Aal Norway this Friday (6/12/2015) to connect with some roots. Great site.

• Dennis Jacobson says:

Hi, my family was from Kloten —We were the Adolph & Rose and myself Dennis Jacobson I went to school until the 6th grade and have been back to Kloten a couple of times for various reason’s and the 100 year sentinel wanted to show my wife Donna the home place that is still their. —I live in Utah and new of your family and was wondering where your Dad Jerome lived in Utah maybe I could get in touch and talk about some of the old timer’s —I was born in 1942 so I am old but not to old but getting their. I have a family here and lived in Utah for 55 years. I also still have family back their also. Looking forward to hearing from you –my phone number is 801-268-2309 and my name is Dennis Jacobson.

• Steve Ree says:

Elvin Ree (The Ree garage )ran the cleanest shop in ND until his death at age 86. He died at home in his favorite chair. I’m Elvin’s nephew and My brother Marc and I own the house where all the Ree’s were born and raised.. We and the neighbor keep it maintained and come back to hunt every fall along with an occasional visit in the summer. We spent a lot of time in Kloten every summer when we were growing up Lots of fond memories.. On my web site/blog there is a story I wrote about how I saved my hunting dogs on a slough close to Kloten. http://bit.ly/17XMnsl

5. Mike Schmidt says:

Nathan Mastrud wrote: “A Fire Hall bell was begging to be rung but a few dogs and the fear of shotguns advised otherwise.”

Let me first say that I have been to Nathan’s web-site, and he is a very talented artist. (I recommend checking it out) But, a comedian he is not.

Am I a little defensive? Maybe. (I grew up in Nelson County) But let’s not make people who have never been to ND think they need to watch out for crazy shotgun wielding psychopaths.

Bottom line…no one will shoot you or sick their dogs on you if you ring the bell in Kloten. (Or any other town in North Dakota)

• mike schuck says:

Mike,

You are absolutely right.

mike schuck

• Carla Wimer Horsager says:

Way to go Mike!! Nelson County was my home for 16 years and it taught me a great deal about life. North Dakota residents in general are great people with welcoming hearts. I agree that you won’t find a gun pointed in your face if you ring that bell!!! I truly love seeing the photos on this website….it brings me back to ND one photo at a time.

6. my cousin Corey Langness and I practically grew up in Kloten…My great aunts were Thora Homme and Thelma
    Swanson, who was married to Mark Swanson who had a farm right outside Kloten…so many memories! Always went over to the grain elevator and bought orange Nesbit’s pop….My Grandma Eleanor Larson is still alive, we were just up there two summers ago, they just had torn down and burned her house and Thora’s a few months earlier….I think about Kloten almost every day….I remember when we used to walk over to the grocery store they had in Kloten, then go pick up mail at the post office….I was also baptized at that church….We thought McVille was a big town back then! I also remember the day they tore down the brick school…..

• Veronica says:

Hi Jason–my name is Veronica (Hillesland)–we are related. I grew up in Kloten and graduated from there in 1965. My grandpa was Dick Hillesland. Thora was my great aunt and Thelma, Eleanor was my mom (Helen’s) cousins. Dayton was a few years ahead of me in Kloten. Wondered what happened to family members on my grandma’s side (Sarah Homme–Thora and Sena’s sister)

• I was also baptized in that church. My uncle Elmer Nomeland had the cafe there not far from the depot

7. my mother and uncles are also from there……Karen, Steven, and Dayton Larson…..they had some beautiful houses around town and one point, man, I’d like to get up there and look through some abandoned buildings and houses!!!!!

8. Logan gehrke says:

Oh yeah I live in kloten

• Robert A. Rukke says:

Mr Gehrke; We were back to Kloten in 2006 and meet a fellow that was living in my grandfathers home,it’s on the corner of 117 Ave.NE and 21st NE, on the NE corner. It’s know as the Rukke House. The home is white, with a little garage in the back. The fellow told us he worked on a big farm. I’d like to get in contact with whoever is in the home ASAP. My e-mail is rarukke@gmail.com, I’m also on Face Book. Home phone is (509) 924-2924 Beind born in McVille and not comimg back till 06 was really special for my sister and I as we have a lot of history there it. seems as my grandfather owned the Kloten Machinery and Hardware Co. untill fire destroyed it. My father and uncle played on the Kloten Tigers Ball team and were a part of their history. Also I’ve got to say I’m a proud Norwegian!! Sincerly Robert A. Rukke

9. Peter Grand says:

Does anyone know a little more about the origins of the name “Kloten”?

I am a recent Swiss immigrant and live in Minnesota now. Kloten is also the name of a town in Switzerland and actually “hosts” the largerst airport of this beautiful country.

• Janis (christofferson) Jaeger says:

In 1906 Kloten was established when the Great Northern railroad extended it’s line from Aneta to Devils Lake. Charles Colson, who migrated from Sweden named the land for the city near where he lived in Sweden.

• Darrell Galde says:

There is an interesting story about the name Kloten. One of the early shakers and movers in that area was Charles (Charley) Colson. His name is on many pages of old deeds and records at the courthouse in Lakota. Charley owned land in Lee Township that the Great Northern Railroad needed to cross on its leg from Aneta to Devils Lake. One demand made by Charley in return for selling a right-of-way was the right to name the town that was to be built there. The steam locomatives needed watering and coaling stations at fixed intervals to supply them with fuel and water. Charley was from Sweden and he chose the name of his childhood town in Sweden.

10. Mike Schuck says:

I am enjoying this website with my mother, Bertha (Bjugson) Schuck who grew up on a farm just southwest of Kloten. My best friend Brad Stromme lives in Kloten and is a beekeeper. I am the proud owner of the lot where the old barber shop stood. It’s a beautiful place on the prairie. My mother is now living at Waterford rertirement community in Fargo. Irving and Mrs. Naas are here for the winter months–long time family friends of the Bjugsons, northwest of Kloten.

• my cousin’s are the bjugsons’………………..my last time in Kloten was Shirley Bjugson’s funeral two springs ago…….

• Mateja Schuck says:

Neat–Mike Schuck is my dad, Halvor and Shirley Bjugson were my great-aunt and uncle. Bertha Schuck (nee Bjugson) is my grandmother.

• small world…..were you at Shirley’s funeral at all?

• Mateja Schuck says:

I should have been but was not–I was living in CA at the time and had just visited Fargo before she passed away–couldn’t get time off work. All the rest of my family (incl. brother Franz who has posted on here) were present, though.

• I”m sure I met them……did the men have shorter, stockier legs and build?

• Mateja Schuck says:

Ha well I cannot say I about just the legs! But my father and brothers are 6’+. Shirley and Bud’s sons are shorter than that I think, maybe stockier. They are also blonds, as are their kids, whereas the Bertha side of the family (my side) has brunettes–if that helps you remember who you met.

11. Franz Schuck says:

I worked for Brad and Nick Stromme the past couple of summers out in Kloten, hands down the best town in North Dakota. Nothing beats climbing the grain elevator and looking out over the vast prairie, going to my great grandmother’s old farmstead in the Cheyenne River valley, harvesting tons of Stromme honey, and tending to some new family-owned land!

12. Mateja Schuck says:

Message for Nathan Mastrud: thanks for the beautiful and telling pictures of Kloten, a town I spent many a summer day tearing around when I was a kid. But please keep the snarkiness to yourself. People still live in Kloten, and the town is in tough enough straights without you giving it a bad rap on this website with comments like “fear of shotguns” etc. If you want to do this town a favor, take it from me and the other poster Mike Schmidt and take that comment off your description–ND has enough trouble reminding the rest of the United States that it even exists, let alone getting people to visit, without comments like that (besides which, it’s not even true. Nobody in Kloten is going to come after you with a shotgun or sic the dogs on you).

Thanks for the lovely site!

13. logan gehrke says:

my dogs a german shepherd and the nieghbors dogs are a rotwiler and a newfoundland, and ronny might have been shooting a shotgun that day at a rabbit or something or it could have been me cleaning geese and with my shotgun on the edge of the picnic table, but if u think someone around here is going to use a shotgun for any other reason than hunting than your the biggest wuss ive ever seen, no one would have cared if he rong the firebell ……and theres only one abandend house in kloten and i mow most of the yards so dont think that klotn is abandend…kloten is where i live and its a pretty cool town ….hope to see u next summer franzzz…..zing high five

• Robert A. Rukke says:

Logan; I was born in McVille, but lived in Kloten. My garndfathers home is one block south of the chuch and a block east on the northeast corner. it’s known as the Rukke home. If you see the post above to you I’d appreciate it if something could be done on this subject . Thank you Robert a. Rukke

14. logan says:

na i was kidding …it doesnt concern me about the shotgun and dogs thought it was funny

15. I grew up south of Kloten, My grandpa Bjornarra & aunts & uncules lived in Kloten. I graduated from Kloten High school in 1950 my classmates Gary larson Rodney Jacobson Joan Hanson. It would be nice to here
    from any one that was around at that time.

16. Dennis A. Jacobson says:

Parents, Adolph & Rose Jacobson, born and raised on the Jacobson Farm located about three miles NW of Kloten. Our neighbors consisted of familes like Elmer Ophaugh, Charlie Hillesland, Oscar Naas, Obert Krokie, Obert Hansen. I completed the seventh grade in Kloten my classmates were Gary Hansen, Leslie Larson, Ardell Naas, Wanda Paulson, Sally Hanson, at that time there were about 60 kids in the whole school that went from first grade thru graduating high school. Kloten was a great little town, Bill krogue was the postmaster, Oscar Glumberg had a store next to the post office, Lud Larson was the standard oil man, Paul Lilke was the railroad station manager, you had the Alvin Ree garage and behind that was Gertie Nomeland cafe and across the street Mable Stone had a little store, Leroy Larson was the rural mailman to the farmers. Come from the farm and going to town was a big thing a lot of good friends and memories from kids like Harry, Carol, and Marion Larson, Lloyd Guldie, Pat torfin, Loren Lilkie. It was a great place to be from, I didnt think a person can ever forget roots from a place like North Dakota especially Kloten. I apoligize if I got some of the Names wrong but in my mind thats the way it was.

17. Ria Cabral says:

hey i have updated information for you on kloten. no po anymore. once thriving pop 350 with school and businesses. now pop 14 with nothing much left. church, old elevators, houses. there is 1 business in town now. beekeepers( elizabeth stromnie). on the map between aneta and meville.

18. Adolph L. Lilke says:

My parents, Adolph & Doris Lilke, came to Kloten in 1940. My dad was the depot agent there for the GN RRY. I was born in McVille in 1941. I had 3 older sisters. We all graduated from Kloten High School, Morna in 1944, Lois in 1948, & Ruth in 1951. I graduated in 1959 along with Lloyd Galde, Harold Larson, Karen Larson, & Marvin Arlien(deceased). I left that year to go to college in Fargo, and have returned only sporadically since. Businesses I remember are the grocery store run by Donald Jenson, then by Oscar Franson, then by one of LeRoy & Janet Larson’s boys, Duane (I think). The post office was just next to the south side of the store and Bill Krogh was the postmaster. Walter Paulson had a garage and gas station to the north of the store. Elvin Ree had his shop a block to the west. Gertie Nomeland had her cafe just around the corner from Ree’s garage. We lived in 4 different houses (all but one were there as of 2009) and my parents bought what was called the “Rukke House” in 1946. It was directly across the street from the school. My parents lived there until they retired in 1967, then moved to California to be closer to my sisters. They sold it to a lady named Luella ??? (i think) – it was eventually bought by Peter and Bertha (Bjugson) Schuck, who remodeled it extensively. They eventually sold it to a Gehrke family who were living in Lud & Alma Larson’s house which burned down. I was last there in June of ’09 & except for a couple of people still there it’s pretty much a ghost town of what it once was. If anyone wishes to contact me – ado4164@bendbroadband.com

• jason steffens says:

Pete and Bertha did a great job with that house! I was in it many times, I think one passed away and one is now in nursing home

• Mikke Schuck says:

Mike Schuck, here. I’m at the Waterford Retirement Community in Fargo, reading these great messages about Kloten with my mom Bertha (Bjugson) Schuck. My dad passed away on January 9, 2010 and, yes, he and my mom bought the Rukke House from my great aunt Luella Homme’s sons after she passed away. My grandmother Charlotte (Lottie) Bjugson lived on the farm southwest of Kloten and I spent many wonderful days there walking the hills and enjoying the prairie wind. Brad Stromme the bee keeper in Kloten is my classmate from Shanley High School. We both lived out on the farm with my grandmother one summer and Brad never left the area. My mom and I will be visiting there tomorrow, especially the Valley Grove cemetary where all the Bjugsons and their extended families are buried.

• Marlin Galde says:

Back in the late 40’s some time after Ben Bjugson passed on, Lottie Bjugson once in a while used to walk down to visit with my mother Doris at the Galde farm. I am sure she was lonely and mother was allways gracious to her. Interesting how other peoples recollections trigger some fond memories of our Kloten heritage. I can recollect some fun memories of the Halloween nights in Kloten and what happened with a bunch of young kids. It was fun reading some the Kloten comments and wish others would continue to pass along their recollections.

• Scott Rukke says:

Your parents bought the Rukke house? That’s my family. Christian Rukke was my grandfather, Robert Rukke was my father. Would love to see pics or anything you have. srukke@comcast.net

19. Lois Lilke says:

My brother Adolph just about covered everything that I was going to write but I can add one story about the fire bell. My sister Ruth was visiting when her children were young and the first thing that they did was to ring the fire bell. No one even seemed to care and get upset except for my mother. I graduated from H.S. in 1948.

20. Adolph L. Lilke says:

Heard a rumor that the church was sold to that character that has tuned the town into a junk pile, but the church bell was not included and moved out to the cemetary. Fact or fiction? Any comments?

• Yes, sadly the church was sold to a private party, minus the bell & tower.

The bell & tower were to go out to the cemetery….

I am T. Leslie & Ethel (Thompson) Brooks’ granddaughter….

Was a sad, community gathering the day of the auction….

21. Emmy Roorda says:

My great-grandparents are buried in the cemetery outside of Kloten, Nils Gilderhus and his wife. Nils donated land for the cemetery and the church. The church has been moved into town. I have visited the town once. Emmy Vaught Roorda, granddaughter of Tosten & Anna Gilderhus from Sheyenne, ND.

22. Gary Rice says:

My mother and her family came from Kloten. The Evenson’s. Vern, Norris, Bubs and Elaine. Ellen was my Grandmother. She was buried there in 1968. So much fun to here how active Kloten was at one time. My Grandmother ran the hotel in the 20’s and 30’s!

23. Robert A. Rukke says:

Hi folks; I’m Bob Rukke,i’m glad to hear some comments about my grandparents home there in Kloten. We visited there in 1960, the first time back since leaving in 42/42?. We took a tour of the home and we were very pleased to meet the owners who invited us in to look around. They later sent us some pictures for a heritage album that we were making up for my side of the family. I might say that a lot of the names mentioned in these post I remember from conversations with my Uncle Walter and my dad Robert, both are gone now to rest in Valhalla.

24. Elizabeth Stromme says:

To Nathan, I have lived in Kloten since 1976, My husband and I built our home here and we raised our children here, we still run our family owned Apiary right here in Kloten. Your comments about being run off by dogs or shotguns, if meant to be humorous, has really missed its mark. I wish anyone who is curious about Kloten, comes to Kloten and actually makes an effort to make contact with a actual resident….Klotenites do exist and we are a welcoming, friendly, hospitable and generous mix of people. Our hamlet has seen better days and the sign on Hwy 15 does read Kloten ‘No Service’ but I’ll bet that if you drive those two miles into town and search out any one of us that call Kloten home, you would be met with nothing more terrorizing than a cold beer or a hot cup of coffee…I think it is time you update your post.

• Mike Schmidt says:

@ Elizabeth Stromme

I’ve bought some of your family’s honey. I used it to make some mead. Delicious! I’m going to have to make it to Kloten one day and see your operation.

• Russ Lofthus says:

I drove into Kloten in March of 2012 and was fortunate to run into Brad Stromme, who was out for a walk. We had a nice visit. I will stop again and take you up on the offer of a cold beer. I knew Brad many years ago, while attending NDSU. We had some great conversations. I spent a fair amount of time in Kloten when I was growing up. My great Aunt Ella and her husband Bill lived there. Lots of great memories, and a lot of great folks hailed from Kloten. I’ll visit again.
      Russ Lofthus

25. Veronica says:

So glad I found this site. My name when lived in Kloten was Veronica Hillesland. I went to all 12 years of school in Kloten–graduated in 1965–my grandpa was Dick Hillesland–my mom was Helen Hillesland. My grandpa (Dicks wife) was Sarah Homme Hillesland and great aunts were Thora (Homme) Ljoseviet and Sena (Homme). Of course cousins included Thelma Swanson (daughter Naomi), Eleanor Larson (children Karen Larson, Dayton Larson and Steven Larson) I don’t have much history of The Homme family and know there is a history book that was made–I have misplaced mine and if any of the Homme family members might have one–would love to pay you for a copy. My mom, Helen, and us rented what used to be the Kloten Hotel from Alvin Ree across from his garage. Can get in touch with me at vapolony@msn.com

26. Cole Young says:

Hello, my name is Cole Young I’m not here for myself but for my grandfather who is originally from Kloten. Well him and and most of his family was born there and he lived there from 1915-1939. I found this site early early summer and showed him and the stories he told me where amaazing. He knows a good majority of the names listed on here in one way or another. The reason it took me so long to post on here was since July I’ve been dealing w/ having heart surgery and tryin to recover. Anyways. my grandpa who is still alive and will be 98 in jeanuary is named Frank Palmer Kjeseth. He went mostly by Palmer over Frank. But I thought I’d post on here to try tohelp him reconnect w/ some people. That would be excellent and make his day.

• Janis (christofferson) Jaeger says:

Cole

I hope that this note finds you and your Grandfather in good health. I was wondering if you would ask your Grandfather about things pertaining to what he remembers of his days in Kloten. I have been gathering information and pictures about Kloten. So if you wouldn’t mind either posting the stories on this website or emailing me @ jjaeger@gondtc.com I would greatly appreciate it. Kloten was a great place to grow up at and I know that everyone that has lived there has strong wonderful feelings about it.

27. I did not grow up there,but my memories are of relining grain bins in the winter of 63-64 at the Kloten elevator for an elevator company out of Minneapolis…..Marvin Rostvet and I who was from Adams also and working there in Kloten stayed at an old hotel in McVille at the time,those were fun years…We ate in the hotel cafe and Marvin had a crush on a lil’ redhead who was the waitress at the time…..I drove by Kloten a few years ago and it was sad to see everything pretty much gone.

28. Cole, Ben, and Anja Bjugson says:

Merry Christmas from the Bjugsons to all of our friends and family. Happy Holidays. God Bless.

29. Darrell Galde says:

I graduated from high school in 1955. Glendora Hanson Galde (she married to my eldest brother Robert) was the remainder of the class. Oscar Glunberg managed the grain elevator. I remember making big bucks shoveling coal from boxcars into the storage bins along the railroad siding. At that time a man’s wage was $1 per hour for farm labor. I would skip school to unload coal @ 50 cents per ton. I earned $5 per hour by unloading 80 tons in 8 hours. I doubt I could do that at present.

30. Jonathan Loyland says:

Hello my name is Jonathan Loyland. My grandfather Dreng (howard) Loyland grew up in Kloten along with his brother Oren Loyland. This was probably in the late 1920’s and 30’s. My great grandparents were Ed and Sarah Loyland who lived there also. Also related to Roislands from Kloten. Are these names familiar with anyone??

• Diane Pyle says:

My mother Betty Jean (Thompson) Pyle used to spend time in Kloten when she was young, and I believe she stayed with Roislands and with Sarah Loyland — Sarah was her aunt I think? This isn’t the kind of thing I can keep straight, but I do know we are related. And I know they were in Kloten, and my mother stayed in touch with them long after they moved out west (Cut Bank? Portland?). We drove through Kloten just a few years ago –lovely country. My mother is in Florida now, who can blame her?

• Diane Pyle says:

Sorry, I realize I am not being very clear. My mother’s mother was Bertha (Roisland) Thompson. She was Sarah’s sister. We visited Sarah’s ranch in Montana one summer in the sixties when I was little. I remember playing with some boys, probably your father or uncles?

• Jonathan says:

Sorry for the delay…Yes, that is my family. After leaving Kloten they went to Fort Benton, Montana, where they had a ranch. My grandfather left the ranch when he was younger and went to Portland, OR where he met my grandma. They had a family and moved back to the ranch in Montana. The Boys you played with must have been my dad (also Jonathan) and uncle Eric (they were the only two who were raised at the ranch after my grandparents split). Very Cool, Thank you so much for responding! When doing geneology research I have found your grandmother, Bertha. She is indeed Sarah’s sister. They also had a brother Dreng, who was killed in WW1, he is whom my grandfather is named after. So I guess that would make us distant cousins?

• Carolyn says:

I have just discovered this site & your names caught my eye. My family, from Kloten, was the Loiland family. My great grandfather was Halvor K. Loiland (1862-1932) m. Anna Hoftu Charles. I have been doing some family research & apparently he immigrated with 1 or 2 brothers, from Norway. I know of at least one, named Olav or Ole who took the spelling Loyland and also settled in Kloten. Jonathan, are you a descendant of Ole or Olav?
          My grandfather was Carl Loiland & he, along with 2 brothers left Kloten: 2 for Oregon & 1 for Washington.
          The names within our family also include a Roysland. Might this be the same family with a different spelling? Kjetil ( the Norwegian form of Charles) Roysland was Anna Loiland’s father.

• Jonathan says:

I haven’t renewed my Ancestry account in awhile so I don’t recall all the details, but I do believe I am a descendent of Ole or Olav. My great Grandmother was Sarah Roisland, her father was Halvor Roisland. The Loyland name is from my great grandfather’s side. His name was Ed.

• Janis ChristoffersonJaeger says:

I have some info for you. email me at jjaeger@gondtc.com and put Kloten in the subject line.

• Shalene says:

Jonathan, I have some information on all of that. Please respond I have been trying to find you.

• Carolyn says:

Jonathan,
        I am working to try to piece together my ancestry tree, which has proved difficult on the Kloten side for 2 reasons: 1. That generation is all deceased, 2. So many changed their names after immigrating from Norway.
        Do you have any idea if your great-great grandfather, Halvor Roisland, had the middle name Charles? If so he may have been Anna (nee Charles) Loiland’s brother if he was born about 1872. Her family has been quite the mystery to me & none of the survivors know very much at all.
        Any help you could provide, or anyone else on this site could provide, would be greatly appreciated.

Shalene,
        If you happen to know anything of these families, I would be very appreciative!

Carolyn

31. Neila Chaouch says:

In researching my family, I discovered that my great-great-grandmother’s brother, Lars Larson, settled in Kloten in the late 1800s. Does anyone know anything about the early history of Kloten and recognize the name?

• Laurie Zinser says:

I have the same question. I have a copy of his passport application and it looks like he moved there sometime between 1882 & 1888. There is a really nice picture of him on the application as well. He was naturalized in ND in 1888. If you find out any other info, please pass it on! Kloten looks like an absolutely beautiful town and I’ve enjoyed reading all the wonderful memories these folks have left!!

32. Laurie Zinser says:

His name was also Lars Larsen Noss.

• Neila Chaouch says:

I recently obtained a copy of the Nelson County History book and found a piece on Lars and Ingeborg Naas. It appears that the “Noss” name was changed to “Naas” . If anyone knows of the Naas clan, I would love to be in touch!

33. Eric Ree says:

We visit Kloten every October for the duck opener and we have bought honey from Brad in the past. A great example of the hospitality of Kloten is: One year we had a larger than normal hunting party. The McEntyre’s said “Our back door is always open. Feel free to use the spare room and kitchenette back there. And, if the light is on up front, come into the living room and say hi.” Where else would that happen. Not in California where I’m from. As far as Nathan’s comment, if someone were to ring that bell, this gun and dog wielding nut would just smile from ear to ear and gain another fond memory of a great town.

34. Heidi Larkin-Reed says:

I am the daughter of Andrew Krogh, youngest son of William and Ella Krogh. My sister Hilary Krogh and I took our father Andy back to Kloten a few years ago. The house he lived in (Bill and Ella’s) was still standing although the basement was collapsing and the yard was coverd with trees and the church had just shut down. We stayed in McVille, thanks to my Dad’s cousins Jerome and Mary Lou Krogh. My sisters and I spent summers in Kloten with our cousin Claudia at our grandparents home and had a wonderful time. I was so glad we could visit and have my dad, Andy see it one again. He will soon be turning 88 and lives in Saccramento, CA

• Scott Rukke says:

Heidi, I would like to contact your father but the email he has is outdated. I have his quarterly articles “Kloten Memories”. He knew my dad and I think he may have worked for him at the Kloten Lumber and Machine shop. You can email me at srukke@comcast.net

35. Robert A. Rukke says:

A great site! Love to read the comments from the past about Kloten and surrounding community’s. I listened to many story’s about Nelson Co. from my father Robert and uncle Walter Rukke. I recognize many names mentioned in the comments! Sounds like the place that one would want to reside growing up. WE were fortunate to tour our grandparents home in 2007 and left with a good feeling about the town!!!

36. I remember walking with Suzie Muus and our 2 dogs to Kloten on the railroad tracks and getting a pop at the cafe once we got there.Then either my dad,Alvin Dahl or her dad,Dr.Muus would come and pick us up and give us a ride back to McVille.Fun days!!

37. Rodney Jacobson says:

Lawrence – I’m writing this for my father, Rodney Jacobson. He is sitting next to me dictating – He remembers leaving Kloten in 1951 and except for several short visits have never been back. He and his brother Donald inherited the Bolstad farm from Agnes and Casper Larson. They sold to a hunting group several years ago.

My father’s email address is rmjacob77@comcast.net. He would enjoy hearing old Kloten friends.

38. Can anyone give me some information on Tillie Roisland and if she had a restaurant or some other business there in Kloten, there is a picture of my father Robert Rukke holding me in front of a place called Tillies ????

• Janis ChristoffersonJaeger says:

It was Tilda Bjornaraa that ran the café. The first occupant of that building Nick Kjorvestad who had a confectionery store and lunch counter. It became a grocery store about 1945 and was closed in the early 1970’s.

39. I graduated from Moorhead State College (Now Minnesota State University-Moorhead) in 1969 with Ellen Habaak (Croy) who lived in or near Kloten. I had no idea where she was from until a few minutes ago whilst looking at my graduation program from Aug 22, 1969. We were both in the music department. Ellen lives just outside Alexander, North Dakota and has taught private piano lessons for decades! I still see her now and then.

40. Gunnar says:

If any of you have records about Bessie Loyland (Bergit Viken was her maiden Norwegian name) from her early days , I would appreciate to hear from you. She emigrated 18 years old from Norway in 1901: I wonder if she traveled together with Gyro Omli. She went back home to visit in 1910, came back to Kloten and married Olav Knutson Loyland in the fall 1910. Any info on their early years in Kloten is highly appreciated.

• Carolyn says:

Good Morning Gunnar,
      I knew Aunt Bessie (she was actually my grandfather’s aunt) as a child. Her daughter, Julia, was a cherished part of most of my life.
      I will contact other links in the family to see what I can learn about her early Kloten years for you.

• Gunnar says:

How great! I sure appreciate your help. Julia was like an “aunt” for me. I visited her in the 90’s in her home in Portland, OR and she also visited me in my home in Norway. She passed away several years ago. I would like to get in touch with any of the descendants of Halvor K. Loiland.

• Carolyn says:

Hello Gunnar,

How wonderful to hear from you. I have contacted cousin Julie’s grand daughter. Unfortunately she does not know much at all. Next I will try Julie’s daughter, Bonnie. Perhaps she recalls a bit of her grandmother’s early story in the US.

How exciting, to me, that you knew Julie & visited back & forth. I, too, am in Portland. For many years, Julie & her family were the only relatives I had in the Portland area on my mother’s side of the family. I remember Julie telling of trips to Norway, but could not recall any specific names. Are you in Valle?? I would so love to go one day.
          So, are you a relative as well?
          You asked about descendants of Halvor K. Loiland. That would be me! Halvor was my great grandfather, though I never met him. Neither did my mother. I am the grand daughter of Halvor’s son Carl & his wife, Alberta. My mom was their only child.
          Do you know much of his history in Norway & the story of why he emigrated?? We know so very little. Over the past few years I have been able to glean small amounts from various resources. This is very exciting that I could possibly learn more!
          Do you happen to have a Facebook account?

41. Brian Parkinson says:

Does anyone know who now owns the property where the grain elevator sits? I am interested in buying some of the old equipment inside, if there is still anything left. If anyone has any information, you can reach me at (262) 313-8864. Thanks!

42. John Wick says:

What a fantastic string of history on this website! I haven’t yet visited Kloten, but will put it on my list. Gidia Solum homesteaded out in McLean County about 1902 with my grandfather and others. I think she grew up in the northeast corner of Lee Twp with Gina and Gustaf, who were buried at the cemetery near Kloten. 1923 diary entries by Gidia’s teenage stepdaughter mention stops at the Lee Twp farm and visits with neighbor Annie Sigurdson.

43. Dave VenHuizen says:

Hi, I’m Dave VenHuizen. I only recently came upon this website and have enjoyed reading through the comments. My ties to Kloten go back to a single year, 1950-51, when my father George taught in the school. He may also have been principal that year. We lived in the lower level of a house which I believe was owned by Knute Kjorvestad, who lived in the upstairs. The house was right around the corner from the school. Although I was only 4 years old when we moved away, I have some very vivid memories from that period. When we moved in, or shortly thereafter, I fell on the back step going into the house and broke my leg. I spent the next 6 weeks in the hospital in McVille, attended to by Dr. Muus, and I have a couple of photos of me in the hospital with my leg in traction. My mom was able to visit me daily by taking the train between Kloten and McVille. Times have certainly changed!

Some of the people, or at least names, that I remember are the Whitmores (Dale was around my age, and I think his mother Hannah was a nurse in the hospital) and the Paulsons (Ione, Wanda and Guy), and I have a couple of somewhat blurry snapshots of them from that time. One of the posts on this site mentioned Marion Larson, and I think that she and my older sister Sharon were friends. My younger brother was born shortly before we moved away.

I would like to hear from anyone who has memories, or especially photos, from that time.

44. Mary says:

My sister sent me this link yesterday. My grandfather was born on the ocean as the family migrated from Norway. Until recently we thought his name was Emil Larson. He left Kloten when he was 15 and moved to Poulsbo WA. My sister did some research and found out his real name was Emil Alanter (or Alanteen) Dragland. He came from quite a large family. Does anyone know of the Draglands? Unfortunately, my mother and her siblings knew nothing of his family until his deathbed. So we have lots of family out there that we don’t even know.

45. Slade Franklin says:

Thanks for posting these pictures, being from Wyoming I haven’t had a chance to visit Kloten.

I would have love to seen or even been at the church before or during the auction in 2012. My great-grandfather and great-grandmother migrated from Norway to the Kloten area (Thomas and Elisa Franklin…originally Loiland)). They lived there in the late 1800s. His parents were Ole Folkensen Loiland and Brigit Loiland.

I’ve seen some really poor quality pictures of the Loiland/Franklin families in Kloten from a North Dakota history book, if anyone has any they would like to share…please let me know.