ambrose6

More Photos of Ambrose

Divide County

Laura Enerson Castro contributed these photos of Ambrose.  A few of her comments are listed as captions.

To see photos from our trip to Ambrose, click here.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Original content copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
17 Responses to “More Photos of Ambrose”
  1. Sharon Klemm says:

My great-grandmother had a washing machine exactly like the one in the photo. Amazing how our technology changes so fast. Who maintains those properties now? Is someone currently living in any of them? Generally, the houses look to be in really good condition and the yards mowed. I am always surprised by this when photos are posted; I never expect ghost towns or towns with tiny populations to look as good as they often do.

2. Laura Castro says:

My dad takes care of the Storlie properties now. The Miller house is maintained by my dad, Miller descendents, and Ambrose neighbors.

3. Diane Clinton says:

Great pictures, Laura! I hope you get your dream house!

4. Cyndie Fagerbakke says:

Thanks for the tour of Ambrose….your dream house is a neat old house. A little TLC and sweat equity, and you could make her shine. I would love to see pics after you get done reviving her. :)

5. Laura, these pictures are wonderful!!! Brings back so many memories of the best years of my life when I was growing up. Clara Anderson lived next door to my Omer & Aunty Stenson & Bonnie & I visited her all the time-she loved to show us pictures of her family.

6. singingjanitor says:

Ambrose has a pretty nice website for a ghost town. Lots of pictures and info. http://www.ambrosend.com

7. Howard says:

I visited Ambrose in 2006, shortly after its centennial celebration. It was looking as ‘spruced up’ as it had in a while, I was told. Quaint town with a rich history. These photos with lilacs in them remind me how MANY of them I noticed while there. Somebody must have planted oodles of them! How many people still live there?

• Dan says:

My best guess is birds planted the lilac trees. With out getting too specific, most of the seeds were in a “natural” fertilizer.

8. Bob Frosaker says:

There is a cemetery by Ambrose with a head stone, Ole G. Frosaker, This also was my grandfathers name. This Ole emigrated to Walcott, ND in 1882 as a child. His mother was a sister to my Great-Grandfather, Guttorm Olson Frosaker, who is buried at Walcott, Kindred, ND. Ole at Ambrose’s mother married a Golberg. But Ole took the name Frosaker for some reason when he homesteaded around Ambrose. It would be interesting if any history would turn up regarding his living around Ambrose.

9. Kim Madsen says:

Good photo of my Grandma’s house. I think it was built by the same people who built the Miller home. Good bones. Too bad the current owners didn’t continue with their plans to renovate it.
    It had the most amazing woodwork throughout. Clara lived there until she was 98 and then moved to the nursing home in Crosby. She died at age 106.

• Stephanie Kelly says:

I wonder if Clara Anderson was related to my grandmother. Her name was Alpha Anderson and was born in Ambrose. Her parents were Christian and Anna Anderson.

10. Mike says:

My mother grew up here she had taken us back to vist pop pop Johnson and get a candy bar miss the good old days. The town looks great!

11. Linda Tinderholt says:

Clara Anderson was my grandmother – I used to stay with her for a couple of weeks each summer when I was small. It’s kind of sad to see the house as it is today . . .

12. Back in the early 50′s and into the mid 50′s,we used to visit our Great Uncle Bert and his wife in Ambrose when we would spend summers with our Uncles by Grenora…the Uncles were Hans and Arne Nelson who lived northeast of Grenora…This Uncle Bert’s first wife had been our Grandfather’s sister…Anton Christian Nelson was our grandfather..anyone remember a Bert from Ambrose in the 50′s?

13. Colby Crawford says:

Thanks for the beautiful photos and the history. The people of Ambrose obviously care alot about their town and it shows. I was shown much kindness on my visit to Ambrose and I am very grateful. God bless you.

14. Mary Pinkston says:

My great grandparents, Math and Anna Thompson homesteaded south of Ambrose in Twin Butte Township. They went to the Trinity Lutheran Church where they are buried. I had the pleasure of visiting Ambrose and the church where they were buried. I loved this part of the US and I can see why they settled there. Plan on going back soon. Would love to live there.