Stady, North Dakota

Stady, ND

Divide County
Abandoned as of 5/06

Stady was founded in 1907 and was a stopping point on old highway 85. The peak population of 60 had dropped to 11 by 1940, after the highway moved. Stady is now a true ghost town — totally abandoned.

Mariah Masilko contributed these photos with the following comments: I’m sending you some pictures I took in May of 2006 of a ghost town called Stady. It’s in Divide County, 16 miles SSW of Fortuna. There didn’t seem to be any people living there, and we only saw 3 structures: a store, a house, and something else (maybe another store).

Connect with Mariah on Facebook.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Order Book Two

Epilogue: A visitor reports all above ground remains of Stady have been demolished due to instability and infestation concerns. Stady is no more.

Original content copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

See Also: Stady in 1915

Comments
11 Responses to “Stady, ND”
  1. Dennis Seyfert says:

Stady had a newspaper, it was moved to Fortuna and became the Fortuna Leader.

2. John Carlson says:

Here I am in Tucson, AZ sitting at my desk, looking through the pictures of Stady. I am glad to see that someone has documented it and shared it with the rest of the world. I have walked through many of the buildings pictured, looking for clues of a previous life. I haven’t been up to the Stady/Zahl area in years but its something that think about often.

3. Every little reply from a local historian or resident of our little ‘towns’ in ND adds to a once very nice personal history that every reader can ponder and reminisce. Every little farmstead has a history. I do not doubt for a minute someone having lived or grew up in a ‘ghost’ town or abandoned farmstead contributed some solid basics to our great country.

4. Colby Crawford says:

I went to Stady, North Dakota. Earlier this summer. Sadly, only the building in the last photo was still standing. Everything else appeared to have been bulldozed. There was only a small pile of rubble remaining.

5. Maggie Stady says:

I am very interested in getting more information about Stady, ND, being that I am a Stady by birth. My first question is, who founded the town, when, and why was it named Stady?

• Patricia Stady says:

Hi there Maggie Stady! My name is Patricia Stady! It was my great grandmother, Alice Stady that founded this town. She was born in Canada and moved down to North Dakota where she married and then it appears had two sons (one being my father’s father). Where do you live? There is great history in our family and I would love to know if and how you might be connected. I was born in Williston, ND and my parents brought us kids to Minnesota.
      Sincerely,
      Pat (Stady)

• Clifford Lund says:

Hello Maggie,
      Maybe you might have known my Dad he was born near Stady in 1915. His name was Alfred Lund. He went to the Stady school. His Dad’s name was Hans Lund and his Mother’s name was Tillie Lund. It is interesting to find someone who was born there too.

6. Patricia Stady says:

I appreciate your thoughts as it is my family history and great grandmother that founded this town. You must be from that area? This town was a significant part of my family history. A history that I am still piecing together. Thank you for your sentiments!
    Patricia Stady

7. Clifford Lund says:

My Dad (Alfred Lund) was born not far from Stady and went to the Stady school. He was born in 1915 and his family moved to Minnesota in the 1930s when they lost their farm. I have the document that notified my Grand Mother they had lost it.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] To see our main Stady Gallery with photos contributed my Mariah Masilko, click here. […]