mapes2

Mapes, ND

Nelson County

Kyle Stubbs contributed theses photos of Mapes with the following comments:  Mapes is in north-central Nelson County, just off of Highway 2. Currently there appears to be one farm and maybe a total of two inhabited homes at Mapes, the rest are vacant.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
12 Responses to “Mapes, ND”
  1. Carla (Wimer) Horsager says:

I remember attending many wedding dances at the Mapes Hall — good times!!

2. Deanna Lynn says:

My old great aunt lived there way back when. She is long gone to her reward. I remember, when we would drive down #2, there was a “car park” south of the highway in a grove of trees. The trees are still there and an old farm house. Imagine having to stop on the side of the road to stay in a little “Vacation” cabin, cause you couldn’t drive down the gravel roads to the next town…with your skinny tires. (think Grapes of Wrath) Sure would love it if someone had pics of that place

3. Thank you for the great ND ghost town pictures. I always wonder about the families who lived in the homes through the years.

4. Karla Nelson Rusco says:

My Mother grew up in Mapes. Her dad was the blacksmith, I think also drove the school bus (with horses). Her Mother was the postmistress (in the house). I understand anyone in the blacksmith shop at noon came to lunch. Mom was born in 1916.

5. DOGMAN says:

My parents grew up in Mapes around the turn of the century when Mapes was nothing.

6. Cynthia Little says:

My father was born in Mapes in 1912 in a house built by his uncle and dad. The house was used as the post office and postmistress were his aunts, the Haugen sisters. I would like to see old photos of Mapes 1910-1940. Also like to hear from any family members.

• Karla Nelson Rusco says:

My mother was one of the Haugen sisters.

• Karla Rusco says:

My Grandparents were Joseph and Anna Haugen. Anna was the postmistress when my mom was growing up. She died when my mother was fairly young and presume in the time she was ill that the daughters helped with the post office. I would like to from you to see if we are related.

7. Herb Hosford says:

My grandparents had a motel just south of Mapes. I remeber going to the store there to get our mail from
    a Grace Kippy(spelling?). I enjoyed the pushups ice cream we used to get. That was in the late 50s or early 60s.

8. James S says:

What was left of the town left after the elevator blew up and took out the bar.

9. Corene Sateren Hermanson says:

I grew up in the big city of Mapes. I remember the motel and remember I was allowed to ride my bike just that far. And yes, Grace Kippie was the postlady. I continued to live in Mapes until I graduated from high school in 1972.
    I love all my Mapes memories!!

10. Gordon Skjerserh says:

Lived there my entire childhood until approximately 1973
    Bought the bank and two city lots for 100.00 in 1969.