ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 20 20.11

The New Map

People have been asking, and we’ve listened.  The map of North Dakota’s ghost towns and abandoned places is now a fully interactive Google map, with nearly every place on our website marked.  You can zoom in and out, see highways, get directions, even visit the map from your smartphone for real-time driving navigation in three dimensions.

If you see him hanging around, please express your appreciation to Steve Hannah for putting in the effort to placemark nearly every town on our site.  It was definitely a time consuming task!  Then building on Steve’s initial map, I have personally gone through each placemark to check for some of the Google Maps goofiness which happens occasionally, and added links to each town’s corresponding photo galleries.  While I believe a high percentage of these locations are accurate, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of every single one. Please verify all information for yourself before relying on this map for navigation.

Please play around with it and tell us what you think.  If you find any missing or broken links, please just comment below and I’ll get on it.  Hope you enjoy. — troy

Map of North Dakota’s ghost towns and abandoned places

Comments
13 Responses to “The New Map”
  1. Jim says:

Rocking good job, guys. When are you going to start on GhostsofIllnois?

2. Steve Hannah says:

“Twas quite easy using Microsoft MapPoint, uploaded the list on the right and told it to Map the locations, exported the KML file and uploaded that to Bing and Google Maps. Took a few minutes :) Glad I can contribute. Here is an album of some Ghosts of Minnesota. The location is secret by request of the owners.

3. Ted Poppke says:

I don’t believe that Marmarth is a ghost town!

4. Susan Mjoness Bugge says:

Even though I have not lived in North Dakota since 1994, it will always be my home and dear to my heart. Thank you for preserving my heritage. I will be forever grateful!!!!

5. Sharon Klemm says:

This is amazing work. I had no real concept of the density of ghosts in ND until I saw it in the map format. I was taken back. A lot of work went into this and I commend you guys for your efforts and appreciate them as well. North Dakota: paradise on Earth.

6. Linda Fisher says:

My mother Doris & my aunt Mable (nee Lundgren) were born in Lostwood, ND in the first quarter of the 20th C. My mother died about 7 years ago, but Mable would be happy to talk about Lostwood. If anyone is interested in contacting her, let me know. It will have to be the old-fashioned way via phone.

7. i dont see westhrop on here.. but then again all thats out there now is just the grain elivator.

8. Matthew says:

I wanna go SOOOO BAD

9. Cookie Moen says:

I found you by accident….and I am so glad I did. So many of the locations you mention I lived close to, and as a child I heard the names of so many of the towns you mention. My father lived in Blanchard as a child, and my mother is from Hunter, I am from Portland. I wish you could have been there in my childhood years…Portland was a booming town in the early 1900′s, but when the railroad went east the town started to decline. I remember it as a functioning town when I was there as a teenager, in the 60′s. Now it has grown to a ‘non town’, and it breaks my heart. I can remember buildings that were there…in ruins as a child, and wish I could have a picture of them now….only memories. Thank you for your pictures of our beautiful state. I want your books!

10. Linda Adams says:

When I click on the link for the google map, it says this page is no longer available. Is it just me?