A Quick Stop in Stirum

By / April 22, 2012 / Stirum, ND

Stirum was a spur of the moment stop while I was out taking a new car on its first roadtrip.  This area of Sargent County was hit pretty hard with some of the extremely wet weather we experienced in the years around 2010 and 2011, and it shows in Stirum.  There was a lot of apparent ‘cleanup’ going on the day I arrived, so I didn’t photograph much. We’ll quite likely go back again some time in the future. Just guessing, I would estimate a population around a dozen.

This is the former Sargent County Maintenance shop.

This house has a huge, two story porch on the back.

The building on the left, though closed on the day I visited, appeared to be an operational bar.

Photos by Troy, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

About Author

Troy Larson

Troy Larson is a father, husband, author, photographer, publisher and devoted cat person. Troy is the President of Sonic Tremor Media and co-founder of GhostsofNorthDakota.com

10 Comments

Ryan Hovde

I lived in Gwinner from 1998 to 2006. Used to go eat at that bar. It was called “Stirum Up”. They had great buffalo burgers!

Mary Ann

The large old house that you have apicture of was at one time the parish house for
St. Vincents Catholic Church, which is now located in Gwinner, ND, Also after it was no
longer used as a parsonage, we live in it for several years, it is a amazing old house.
the other building you thought was is a bar called the Galloping Goose, ran buy
Danny Bauer.

Mary Ann

Yes at one it was the Stirum Up Bar then closed and reopened as the Galloping Goose, when I grew up in Stirum it was the post office and Hardware store ran by Bert and Velman Anderson.
Mary An

Delores (Warcken) Mischel

I used to babysit for a family in Stirum when I was in H.S. at Sargent Central..the Roger Even Family. Does anyone know where any of them are? Delores Warcken Mischel

Chad Burrer

I once too ate at the Stirum Bar several years ago when I temporarily lived in the ghost town of Crete a few miles away.

Brenda

The bar is now called Dilly’s and is a super place to stop for a great meal !!

Sara

Yep! Owned and operated by “Dilly” himself. He is my neighbor and such a nice man that is always willing to help out someone in need.

Zac Johnson

I actually lived in the two story house shown above from the mid to late 80’s. There used to be a church right next to it.

Jon

I delivered to Stirum when I drove for Henry’s Foods. The bar had more than one owner(manager) during that time but everyone was very friendly and the food was always delicious.