baker1

Baker, ND

Benson County

Baker is an unincorporated community in Benson County.  We drove through on the way to Knox and got quite a kick out of the signs at the edge of town.

Photos by Rat, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
8 Responses to “Baker, ND”
  1. Gene Reieson says:

I attended school in baker from 1941 til 1950 My family had a farm 2.5 west of baker where my brother butch lives and farms Lots of memories of Baker . One thing Baker school was Famous for was their School band in the early 1950s There were a total of less than 50 kids in 1 through 12 grade and over forty played in the band My youngest brother Ron was in first grade and played th bass horn .My two brothers Dan and Butch also played in the band and my sister Bonita . the band had full uniforms that the parents went out and raised money for . for a while when the band started the Janitor played the bass fiddle and the bar owner played the trumpet. Alfred Borah was the band leader . Baker Electric was also started there the first if not one of the first Rural electric started . in the USA. Now Norhen Plains electric.
    Richard Peterson named Baker as the Dance Capitol of benson county in the 50′s there would be a dance ( in the summer time ) at least once sometimes twice a month . there was a community hall built in the Wpa days there . The bands would play and at midnite there would be a break when lunch would be served ( sandwich donut or cookie and coffee ) by many time the mothers of the 4H club kids . Then the band would start up and play till one or so and the final song would be There’s No Place Like Home . I can remember one dance night when a Husband and wife were playing for the dance The husband played the accrordion and the wife the piano. Well the piano lady’s sister decided to, sit on the piano bench also and they played sort of a duet . The Wife the (the Main piano player ) moves the back part of her lap over quickly causing the sister to go bouncing on the floor.Any one reads this write a little and so will i

• Dave D says:

Baker Electric got its start in 1937, making it the first coop in ND for sure, but there are a few other coops in other states that got their start in 1936. They had the opportunity to purchase the electric distribution system in Cando from the Central Electric & Telephone Company but the folks in Cando made the purchase contingent on Baker Electric relocating its headquarters there from Baker.
      It was in the mid-1990s when it merged with its neighbor to the south (Tri-County Electric) to form Northern Plains Electric.
      I was planning on stopping in Baker next Monday to see if the brick building that housed the coop headquarters was still standing…

2. Joan Glennen says:

I love this story<3 Uncle Gene!!

3. Nancy Hortman says:

Very interesting peice of Baker history, thanks for sharing! …love the sign

4. Glenn B. Johnson says:

I attended school at Baker from 1948 to 1956. we lived 3 mi south and a quarter mi west. I never played in the Baker Band. my older brother did. I played basketball for the Baker Bombers from the time I was big enough to handle a ball for as long as we had a team. those were fun times. they had the best penny candy at the Baker store. sometimes you could get two for a penny.we went down there alot during the noon hour, if we had a penny or a nickel.

5. Brooke Kirkeide says:

The “Depressed Buck Hunter Xing” sign was put up to depict my husband. This sign has brought him good luck since the neighbor put it up about 7 years ago.

6. Joe says:

Wow I started on the Soo Line Railroad now the Candain Pacific Railway and I use to patrol track through there from Devils Lake to Harlow. I remember the gas station was open back then in 1996.