nanson7

Nanson: A North Dakota Ghost Town

Rolette County
Abandoned as of 5/12

As we set out to photograph ghost towns in early May of 2012, we had Nanson in mind as our ultimate destination.  We’ve known about Nanson for quite some time but somehow we just never managed to make it there — it was time.

After driving all day through an array of locations, we reached US Highway 2 and drove into Rugby for some lunch — huge double cheeseburgers at the Cornerstone Cafe (now closed). After lunch, we departed for Nanson.

As we headed north of Highway 2 we were struck by the wide open space and the brilliant blue sky.  The green rolling hills bring to mind the opening sequence of ‘Little House on the Prairie.’  The trees get more sparse, and farmsteads flash by less frequently. Sometimes it gets quiet in the car on drives like this. Conversation slows, and one of us turns down the radio in an almost involuntary reflex — unconscious appreciation for some rare silence in an increasingly noisy age. Traffic diminishes and Terry reminds me we’ve entered waving country — when a rare truck passes, the driver lifts one hand and waves.

Just when we thought we’d driven through a time portal to the 1800′s, a wind farm appeared over the horizon and dozens of turbines with giant white blades spun lazily in the prairie wind. We traveled a few dozen miles and arrived at our turn — from a paved two lane highway to a hard-packed, chalky dirt road.  We were only able to drive a few hundred feet before we were forced to get out and walk due to deep potholes with puddles at the bottom.  We had arrived at Nanson.

Today, only four homes and a few scattered garages and outbuildings remain of the town that was once Nanson.  Incredibly, there was not a powerline or telephone pole to be seen.  The only sign that people once inhabited the place was the crumbling remains of family homes, all arranged in a line on the west side of the road.

Nanson, North Dakota

The moment we stepped off the road, we discovered Nanson is inhabited — infested is more the word — the ticks were unbelievable.  To capture the photos you see below, we accepted the price of having to pick ticks off ourselves all the way home and into the next day — and we did.

Visitors to our website have commented on a store which operated in Nanson until the 1970′s… that store is no longer in Nanson.  It has been moved to the Hawk Antique and Farm Machinery Museum near Wolford.

Nanson, North Dakota

This home is the first one you come upon when entering Nanson from the south.

nanson5

Nanson, North Dakota

It’s difficult to see but there are pieces of concrete everywhere beneath the grass and a concrete pad in the upper left of this photo… the remains of a building which used to stand at the southern end of town.

Nanson, North Dakota

This garage is all that remains of a home that once stood at the north end of Nanson.

Nanson, North Dakota

What was once a basement became a dumping spot for a time, the story told by the vintage glass bottles and cans which have been slowly but deliberately covered by falling leaves, season after season.  Sometime in the future, the trash, and everything else, will disappear beneath the soil.

Order Book Two

Nanson, North Dakota

Comments
26 Responses to “Nanson: A North Dakota Ghost Town”
  1. Mark Jan Vrem says:

There used to be a general store in Nanson back in the 50′s and 60′s (and early 70′s?) where we (my sisters and I) would shop for items from the 30′s and 40′s. Fond memories of the dusty bargains….

2. Darla.Flake says:

The Cornerstone Cate is a great spot to have a meal. My father lives in Rugby I like to stop in there when I go to visit.
    Have you ever been to Sarles? It was a great little town to raise kids and just enjoy life. Some of the best times of my life are of there. Its still is.

3. Lois Braaten Jacobson says:

What memories this article brings back. I lived in one of those houses in Nanson when I was nine years old and walked to the little white schoolhouse next door. A big event of the summer was walking to the depot to “meet” the train twice a day. Later we moved to Rugby and I graduated from high school there.

4. Roy Burke says:

Thank you for your website. My mother was from ND and I truly enjoy learning about all the old towns. Thanks

5. Robert says:

I remember going there as a little kid with my family to visit relatives that ran the general store. My mother if I remember correctly had a farm there. I have a great memory of that visit and watching the train go by past the store. Also, tons of photos.
    Robert Braaten-Grant.

6. Matthew Rothchild says:

Explored the townsite and buildings in summer of 2010 with my wife on the way to my high school class 10 year reunion in Minot. Lots of ticks for us too, but not so many that we picked them off all day long.

7. Donna Eszlinger says:

upon looking at the photos it makes a person very sad,, All those homes belonged to someone, and there is history there, but now almost forgotten, as so many other little towns were, because everyone was lured to the big city.. Forgetting how peaceful, and serene life was out on the prairie,. Many say it was so lonely, and hard to make a living,, but even today it can be that, if we dont stop to count our blessings. Ticks,, yes, those little creatures are all over, so do a tick check no matter where you walk,, they are bad news…

8. John Todaro says:

Great job on your site! It looks like you’ve put a lot of work into this.
    Lots of history, useful information and many good images.

9. Joell says:

Great story. I love reading about these old towns so close to where I live. I live a few miles from Nanson. Anyway, have you ever checked out Thorn? Like Nanson, it was once a town of a few people. There used to be a general store there & a few houses. My dad & uncle talk about it a lot. I love the random conversations they have about the “olden days” and as I pass these once bubbling towns, I always get lost in my mind wondering what life was like back then. I love history.

10. Gary McFarlane says:

Wow! Great memories! We used to go there with our Dad and get school clothes. He used to like to “tip a few” with the man who ran the store – Henry, we think and Adolph, who ran the bar. I think he lived in the house or had the bar right next to the store – it seemed we could “leap” from one to the other they were so close together!!

11. Brenda Dissette says:

I remember some of the best fireworks I have seen in life was in Nanson on the fourth of July? I remember shopping in that general store for penny candy. Mom always claimed they had the best deli bologna!

12. marcie laporte says:

yes nanson was the place wed take our cream down there and henry johnson would take the cream cans in back n weigh them and empty the cans and mom would buy our shoes clothes n food still have money leftover wow will never see those days again ever..miss nanson lots…marcie graber laporte

13. I live a few miles from there and have never actually went and saw it for myself–going ot have to this weekend! I love old buildings!! :)

14. Danica Bartelme says:

WOW!!! Talk about memories! My cousin( 2nd or 3rd? ) Henry Johnson ran the store, It was a treasure shop! I loved it!….I spent many days there when I was 5 , 1975. We lived outside of Rolette for about 6 months , but being from California , couldn’t hang with the cold..COLD weather ;) My family , the Johnson’s settled that town. A friend just sent me these pictures and the article. So interesting and strange to see

15. Susie Shkolnik says:

WOW! What a blast from the past! My grandfather, Linus Johnson, built the 1st store there in Nanson ( which burned to the ground with half the town when a spark from the train set the dry grass on fire-so the story went) My mother, Sonja, grew up there and went to the school that was there. When I was back there in the 70′s- Henry (my 2nd cousin) had the store and I actually got to work for him. That store was unbelievable! And I remember the hot-dog links in the meat case and the cream station in the back behind the postoffice mail slots….the old gas pumps in front and the out-house in back. Good times! Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

16. Jan E Bredal says:

Anyone who can tell my about the name of this town, was it named after the Norwegian “Fridtjof Nansen” ?? Who run the post Office? Could it be “Olaf H. Johnson” ???? Where in Norway did he came from ??

17. Pam Graser says:

My mom was born and lived in Eckman until her teen years. Then the family moved to Bottineau. The only thing I could find of Eckman was a sign post. It would be wonderful to see some photos from there.
    No matter how long I live in Georgia, North Dakota will always be home.

18. Kristen Guthrie Corrie says:

I love your posts! While the photos do make me a little sad, the mystery and intrigue of these places trump the sadness. Both my parents are from ND, and though I was born there, moved when I was not yet 2 years old. We’d go there often on family trips and the abandoned buildings would fascinate me, especially the schools. Thank you so much for the childhood memories!

19. Jim Moline says:

I loved reading about your visit to Nanson! I grew up in Rolette but often visited Nanson with my father and other members of my family. I would also buy my hunting license from Henry at the store! Good memories –where have the years gone?? Thanks for the memories!

20. Teresa (Tennancour) Montgomery says:

I grew up in Rolette and remember going to Nanson. Last time I drove through Rolette, I told my kids about Nanson. Definitely brings back some memories.

21. Crystal says:

Wow! My sister posted this story and I was totally taken aback! I can’t remember many of the stories but I do remember my mom and Aunt (who to this day still lives in Rolette) telling us of stories from Nanson and taking us there when I was very young. Apparently Henry was my mother’s uncle…I believe. Possibly great uncle, I will need to contact my aunt. Anyhow I also remember how mom would talk about those great hotdog links there….lol. this is so neat. I still remember these old abandon buildings also haven’t changed much since about 15 years ago. To hear of all these Johnson’s also makes me realize I probably have much more extended family out there that I’ve never even heard of. Love the history and stories of everyone. This is so great.

22. Zita Hanson Braun says:

My Dad was born in Nanson back in 1919. I didn’t even know where it was. I know they moved to Perth and had lived in Lorraine before Nanson. you don’t have Lorraine on your list. I do wonder though if one of the houses in your pictures is the one my Dad was born in. I suppose that is a question I will never have answered because anyone who could tell me is with God. I am enjoying your website and very impressed by how easy it is to maneuver through it. Excellent work. I am loving this. I love old things anyway, towns, buildings, etc. thank you.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] barely missing the cut to make this list — Sims, North Dakota, Nanson, North Dakota, and Sheyenne River […]