standing-rock1

Standing Rock Hill Historic Site

Barnes County

This is the Standing Rock Hill Historic Site, south of Kathryn and west of Enderlin, just up the hill from Little Yellowstone Park, right off Highway 46.  It is also just a short drive from Jensen Cabin at Wadeson Park.  Standing Rock Hill Historic Site consists of four Native American burial mounds, the largest of which is marked with the small standing rock shown below.

There is a fairly serious grade up a minimally maintained road to get to the parking lot at the top of the hill, but in dry conditions, you shouldn’t have any trouble in the typical car.  Read more about it here.

Photos by Troy, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
10 Responses to “Standing Rock Hill Historic Site”
  1. Ramona Karnik Long says:

Awesome…I had not heard of this site…thank you for sharing!!!

2. Tom Pence says:

Will the lone tree picture be available as a print?

3. Ramona Plank says:

Do you have places for sale in south Dakota also.

4. John Stangeland says:

We and our two children visited this site many times over the years. We have early 1980′s photos of them standing beside the rock. One of Gen Sibley’s 1863 campsites (Camp Weiser) is just a couple of miles due north of this site.

Anyone born in this country is a native American. Those are indian mounds.

• Rajesh Koothrappali says:

@John:
      Anyone born in this country is an American citizen. Anyone born in India is an Indian. Those are Native American mounds. They are in no way connected to India. Columbus may have thought he was in India, but today we know better.

5. John Stangeland says:

Most people would understand what I was saying, but for you I will be more specific: They would be called either American Indians or by their specific Tribe names. You COULD call them native Americans, but it would be rather uninformative, since most Americans are native Americans.

Anyone born in this country is a native American.

6. Raymond Welk says:

Hello to John Stangland! I was in you brother Jeff’s class of ’75 in McHenry. I visit this site often and it’s nice to see your comments on Juanita and all. I remember visiting with you and Connie at the 100th Jubilee in ’99. I love looking at all the photo’s here, so sad what has happened over the years to all these wonderful small towns in North Dakota and other places in the midwest. Many of my greatest memories are in good old McHenry. It will always be home for me in my heart. Funny how when I was growing up I thought it would always be the same as it was then… I have to admit I am part of what happened. I’ve been in Washington state for 35 years now. Still remember it like it was yesterday.
    Say hello to anyone who might remember me! Ray

• John Stangeland says:

Hi Ray, you are talking about my cousin Jon, who is married to Connie. I too was at the McHenry 100th Celebration in 1999. We also had a Family Reunion a few weeks later at Carrington and Juanita Lake. I doubt we will have another. My Dad is 93, but not much memory left.

I was just up to McHenry last Thursday, to get the NPRY tools I had donated to the McHenry Railroad Museum. There is no longer anyone left (of the people who were interested) to take care of it so they are dissolving the McHenry Historical Association. I guess the younger people are not interested in keeping it going. A very sad state of affairs. Anything not picked up will be auctioned off, lock, stock, and barrel, even the depot.

I agree about the demise of the small towns in the state. I grew up in those towns, as my Dad was an Agent-Telegrapher for the NPRY, retiring in 1980.. I went to 8 different schools in 12 years. Places like, Litchville, Buffalo, Berlin and Jessie. Then to Wahpeton Science and Uncle Sam’s Army Signal Corp. I am now retired from the Railroad too.

I’ll mention your message next time I get up there.

John Allen

7. Ray Welk says:

Hello John, I thought the spelling of you name was not the same as Jon that I knew but after reading your posts on the Juanita block you had mentioned several names that I am familiar with so…
    How sad that this is happening in Mchenry. It’s taken a while to sink in for me. Wish I was closer to help out.
    Ray