This is the former King School, just a few miles south of Valley City along the Sheyenne River Valley Scenic Byway. This building was erected in 1930, but it was preceded by another structure, also known as the King School, which was erected in the 1880’s on a different site.
The plaque pictured below reads, in part:
When the last students walked out of the King School in 1967, their departure marked the end of an era–the closure of the last operating one room schoolhouse in Barnes County. Once, over 100 of these tiny institutions dotted the prairie, serving every township in the county.
Today, most of the school buildings are gone, and few people remain who can remember life in a frontier school.
Photos by Troy and Rat, Copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC