Sheyenne River Academy
Abandoned in 1977
Sheyenne River Academy opened its doors on this site north of Harvey in 1904 and was in operation until the end of the 1976 school year. It was a Seventh Day Adventist secondary school. The new location known as Dakota Adventist Academy opened in 1977 near Bismarck.
The present owner of the property is using the grounds and the buildings for horses and other livestock. We knocked on a few doors at a nearby home in an attempt to get permission to go inside, but we were not able to find anyone around. So we snapped a few quick photos and left, hoping to return some time in the future when we can get permission.
It’s a real shame to see this impressive facility falling into disrepair. We sure hope someone can do something with it in the future.
There are four buildings in the academy facility, but you can barely see it from the road. The main gate is fenced and no longer used.
Someone has knocked out a window just to the left of the entrance to make it possible to park a vehicle inside the building.
Note the dirt ramp on the front steps.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC