wellsburg8

Wellsburg, ND

Wellsburg is a small town in Wells County, both of which are named for the Edward P. Wells, a former legislator.  It was founded in 1910 and harbored a population of 150 in 1920.  According to Douglas Wick’s North Dakota Place Names, the population had dropped to 14 by by 1981.  Scenic Dakotas has a Wellsburg gallery too.

These photos were contributed by R. David Adams.  His captions are included below.

Only a few abandoned houses, most were lived in however many lots with no house left at all.

School now a house with a garage. nice!

Classic early turn of the century building in great shape due in part to occasional painting and fixing and TIN! I would have so much fun with this building were it mine!

Photos by R. David Adams
Original content copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
18 Responses to “Wellsburg, ND”
  1. Roger Mazurek says:

Thanks for these updates.

_____

2. Clif Nelson says:

Have you ever noticed that garages and or machine shops always seem to last the longest or as the author points out,buildings with tin………interesting,eh?

3. Clif Nelson says:

looks like a nice lil’ town if you really wanted to get away from it all,right?

4. Kathleen Rutherford says:

Nice photos David

5. Brenda (Lee) Schwanke says:

My grandmother Agnes Lee, grew up on the Hovland farm just on the east side of Wellsburg. The Hovlands donated the land for the church and cemetery. The church has since burned down. My great grandparents, John and Bertha Hovand are buried at the cemetery as are my grandparents, Severt and Agnes Lee.

• Peter Woyen says:

Neat. My great grandmother was Minnie (Hovland) Anderson. Also grew up there and from that clan. Minnie Mitchell was her nick name when young. Apparently she was the only girl in the family who could drive their Mitchell touring car.

6. Clayton says:

Brenda,

check out this website

I was searching for history on members of my family and they must have lived near your relatives in ND. There is a 1900 census page that you can view and it has the last name Lee and a 12 year old named Severt. I couldnt beleive it when i saw this website while researching ND and remembered the last name Lee.

7. kristi says:

my great-grandfather, Hans Vorland, had his farmstead just on the other side of the railroad tracks (south side). Hans had a couple of brothers and a sister who had land near him as well. One of the streets in Wellsburg was called Vorland Street. It might be the photo above with the abandoned house in the trees. it’s hard to know exactly what street it is now with no street signs.

8. Cindy Flath says:

Does anyone know of a Christian Johnson who lived in Wellburg in the 1930-1940. He was 81 when he died in 1940. He was from Norway

9. Roger Hoff says:

I found a flat steel wrench that appears to be the type to take off a hub cap and wheel nuts. It is stamped with “Meland Bros Garage Overland and Ford Service Wellsburg No Dak”.
    I have some relatives in North Dakota with the last name of Norman. That was my Grandmother’s madden name. Her first name was Anna, and she had a sister Gina. The family has lost all connections with them. They or their relatives may have lived in the Wellsburg area. Any feedback on this from your readers?
    Could this wrench have been an advertising “give away” from the tin building in your pictures?

• Jim Lelm says:

Hi Roger
      Some 30 years ago I was told by a farm customer of mine (Lyle Meland) that was living in wellsburg at the time that that building was his Dad Fred and Uncles building and that they were a Ford Dealer and a Case farm equipment dealer years back. At that time Lyle owned the building.

Lyle was a Prince of a guy

Lyle L. Meland, 84, Wellsburg, ND died Tuesday, May 26, 2009
      His son Fred lives in Harvey and Is farming the land I believe.

Hope this helps
      Jim

• Roger Hoff says:

Thanks for the info. I believe it is very important to remember our history and share it with each other and with future generations.

10. Roger, In answer to your question on the wrench you found. There were a couple of generations of Melands living in Wellsburg and Lyle passed away just a few years ago. His son Fred who I think may have been named after his Grandfather, who I also knew, still lived in the area the last I heard.

11. Paul Person says:

I love the big water hand pump sitting next to the tin garage building.

12. Nancy LaBolle says:

My great grandmother, Martha Erfjord, died in 1920. Her death certificate says she is buried in Wellsburg. The family was from Manford. I would like to locate her grave. Would you be able to tell me where the cemetery is located and would the graves be marked?

13. wally says:

Born and grew up in Harvey also in Wells County. Mother still has a farm near Heimdahl. Fessenden is also close by. Loved living there in the late forties and early fifties. Real people and real storms.

14. diane melby says:

WOW ! Wellsburg I use to go there as a little girl which was in 1948 to 1950 which I Remember going to my aunt and uncle Conrad and Johanna Heilman who owned the grocery store and implement shop. My mom Mary Wack Volk went to school there in 1929. It was a great little town also were dances in the bar that was there. Heilman’s son Franice’s manage the bar.

• wally says:

Mainly grew up in Harvey with best friend Tom Roble whose dad owned the Chevy dealership. Pete Barstad was another good friend. Grandfather worked for the Soo Line and still remember the round house in downtown Harvey. Have to make a visit to see if anything has changed in the almost 50 years since moving to Los Angeles.