auburn4

Auburn, ND

Auburn is a very small town in Walsh County, north of Grafton.  There was an active harvest happening the day I visited, and most of the homes are still inhabited.  The population appears to be a dozen or two.

Due to a finicky camera, I was only able to capture the photos you see below on my Android.  The church is the most impressive structure on the townsite.  It looks like it’s been abandoned for some time, and it appears to be locked up tight.  There is also a grain elevator in Auburn that looks to be largely out of service, but certain parts of it are still being utilized.

Photos by Troy, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
10 Responses to “Auburn, ND”
  1. Dean Orvik says:

That 40′s coupe that was in front of the garage in your last pics of the pink building is gone… It didn’t look like that thing would ever move again.

• Tracy Uggerud says:

I believe the family just pulled or pushed it into the garage. I live next door but haven’t went to look due to the fact I saw Pepe La Pew over by there this past winter.

2. They are still very nice captures of the church!

3. Dash says:

perhaps the house inspired “little pink houses” song….

4. DA Klapp says:

When newly weds my husband and I lived in Auburn North Dakota for about seven years. We considered being married in the church you have photographed. At that time it was used for worship by migrant workers. We knew the priest who served there. Instead we were married in the Landstad Lutheran Church stood at the corner of the entrance to Auburn which had long stood vacant. The following summer the Lanstad Church was moved to the historical park in the nearby town of Grafton, the County Seat. Thanks for taking time to capture this picture. It brought happy memories of the hamlet we lived in, our “old” neighborhood.

• Ralph Kingsbury says:

My great grandfather’s brother homesteaded the land that was to become Auburn when James J Hill brought the Great Northern Railroad north of Grafton. The line ended at Neche on the Canadian border. When I was growing up Auburn was a very live and active community. For example, the Auburn Family Fun Club would put on musicals. Today, as in all of ND the land is still farmed. Every acre. However, the only farmers calling Auburn home is ours, a Davis family, an Anderson farm, a Lykken farm, and a Thompson farm, all great grandsons of the pioneers. At one time there was a farm on every quarter section. That’s called technological progress and it why American’s spend less of their disposable income on food than any nation in the world. As for the other descendents of those pioneers they are spread from sea to shining sea across our country. America, with an occasional stumble has kept its promise of freedom and opportunity, even today.

5. Ralph Kingsbury says:

Concerning remaining farms in the Auburn community I forgot to add the Burns farm and a DeSautel farm, also descendended from pioneering families.

6. Tracy Uggerud says:

I recently moved my family into the house that I was raised in right in the middle of Auburn. My parents, Rodney and Donna Uggerud bought a 1 bedroom 1 stall home. The house has since been built onto twice. Currently within the villages city limits there is a population of about 35. The town definately does not look the same as it did growing up and I’m still in my 30s.
    My family farm is about 7 miles away and next year will be a centenial farm.

7. La Meramera Cumbianbera says:

I used to help clean the church and made my 1st communion at this church, yes i was a migrant worker – now a six figure employee at a major technology company in texas – yes that company :-).
    YES i am female, yes i have a great family live (2 kids – 1 at Harvard, 1 at Brown) and a great job.
    I learn plenty from working in the fields.
    Thanks Grafton and Auburn, ND and all those long rows of suger beets.
    Que VIVA EL Norte!

• Those long rows of beets around Auburn taught my children a lot about life and how much time they required of their father and uncle, and their entire families. They too must have learned something as they also spent time at Harvard (post doc at med school) as well as places like Dartmouth, Notre Dame, Columbia. Also, UW-Madison, Pacific. and UM-TC. The generosity of the American people in supporting students is wonderful. You and I owe them a great thanks.