Autumn in Hesper

Hesper is a town that had been on our radar for some time but we never had an opportunity to check it out.  In the summer of 2012, Philip Tron emailed to tell us Hesper had officially become a ghost town and submitted a few photos.  After seeing them, we made it a priority to stop in and snap some shots.

On arrival in Hesper, we were struck by the silence.  It is indeed a true ghost town, population zero.  The red house shown below is in pretty good condition still, and looks to be the last home that was occupied in Hesper.

Hesper, North Dakota

Hesper is located 35 miles west southwest of Devils Lake in Benson County, a beautiful region and prime hunting country.

Hesper, North Dakota

That’s gonna delay the mail.

Hesper, North Dakota

Very much like some of the other ghost towns we’ve photographed, Hesper had a handful of abandoned homes and structures, but several places were being used for storage by someone who doesn’t live on the town site.

Order the Book

Hesper, North Dakota

Comments
18 Responses to “Autumn in Hesper”
  1. Linda Graham says:

Beautiful photos! Hope you didn’t pick up any ticks in the grass!

2. Beth Hoover says:

who is standing beneath the bare tree photo 16. tree is at the left back.

• A. Anderson says:

It looks like a creepy cloaked figure standing there but I’m wondering if its just a sign at an angle in the distance? Although, you would likely see some definition from the way the lighting is hitting it. Very strange!

3. Ron R Glaeseman says:

44th Avenue? What happened to the other 43?

4. Shelley says:

Hesper is 4 miles west of Maddock, 1 mile north and then maybe 1/2 mile west.

5. Philip Tron says:

The “red house” was occupied until about a year ago. All the other buildings are curently owned by cousins of mine.

• Nick says:

What do your cousins do with the abandoned homes? Are they just used for storage or nothing at all? Do they own the land as well or just the structures?

6. When I was in 7th and 8th grade our junior high basketball team played a ball game in Hesper, probably less than 10 miles from home for us. There was also an active small machining company that repaired farm equipment or created new parts to replace worn out ones. It was a small town near the end of the railroad spur.

7. Maya says:

I’ve missed your posts!

8. Jo L. says:

The red house in Hesper was once occupied by my grandfather, A. Larson. The school that had been there would have been fun to see in its early years. Was sad to drive by a year ago and find out no one lives there anymore.

9. Carol (Erickson)Bitz says:

I believe that we visited the people who lived in this house about 20 years ago. The people who lived here were Allan Brandvold and his wife.

10. Karen says:

Sure looks like it was a sweet life at some point in time..

11. Bodil says:

How much of North Dacota has been left by people? What are they doing with the big lands there? Any reason not people are living there anymore? I also see you write about ticks there, looks like it´s a big problem?

12. Gene Reierson says:

I knew Andrew Larson I don’t remember iwhat pouse he lived in Hesper but I worked on his furnace one night and may have sold him fuel once or twice .He usewd to comt o Esmond and was friends with Mrs. mabel swanson and he Mabel, Joe Pfua and Mrs. Thersa Hoffner (all widoows and widowers ) would go dancxing .
    Andrew had a son named tyler who lived with him in Hesper .

13. Love these all photos, please keep them coming :-)

14. Kathi I. says:

I haven’t been to Hesper in probably 50 years. We used to visit my “uncle” Alfred there. Couldn’t recall what his house looked like but my sister is in charge of the family history so I was excited to call her to log on to see these.
    We lived in Maddock until 1969. I recognize some of the names posting here. What a fun “find” this is!

15. Nick Due says:

Now that is kinda creepy!