ski-jump-feature

Devils Lake Ski Jump

This is the former Devils Lake Ski Jump, about 10 miles south of Devils Lake at Sully’s Hill. This ski jump opened in 1931 and operated on and off into the early eighties. Based on what we saw, we can conclusively say a jump from the end of this thing would have been terrifying. There’s some interesting information on this Ski Jump in this Dakota Datebook entry from 2008. We also featured this ski jump in our first book.

The road to the jump is a very steep, pitted dirt road. In anything other than totally dry conditions, you’d be well advised to take a 4 x 4.

Order Book Two

Sometimes getting the shot requires a little bad judgement.

Comments
34 Responses to “Devils Lake Ski Jump”
  1. Larry Munson says:

What an interesting piece of North Dakota history! Thanks for your excellent (and probably a little dangerous) work!

2. John says:

Outstanding photography and great subject matter.

3. jeff says:

I USE TO WORK OUT OF A CHURCH IN OBERON, ND. WE TOOK THE KIDS TO GO TUBING 1 YR. IT WAS AWESOME, COULD NOT GO ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP TO SLED, THEY HAD SHUT THAT DOWN, THE SKI JUMP HAD A KID GET KILLED 1 TIME YRS BEFORE WE WERE THERE, COMING DOWN FROM THE VERY TOP ON A TUBE. WE MADE IT ONLY ABOUT HALF WAY.

4. Holly says:

Amazing shots, and as long as no injuries were incurred, this was well worth the bad judgement, which is something all of us (photographers) have done on occasion. Thank you guys for all that you do!

5. Sharon Klemm says:

The pictures make my head spin just looking at them, but man, oh man…what a view from the top. Spectacular.

6. Stephen Schaack says:

In the pictures, I don’t see a way for a skiier to get to the top of the jump. Was there any evidence of a ladder or something? Would they have had to walk up the jump ramp?

7. Jane says:

Wow, this thing is crazy! Needless to say, one can understand why it got shut down. Once again, great job guys! Your “bad judgement” resulted in some wonderful shots. Thanks Rat.

8. Murry says:

Wooden stairs are undoubtedly rotted away…

9. Chip says:

I grew up in North Dakota and never knew this existed. Great site you guys, keep up the excellent work!

10. D Roerick says:

I remember going with my sister and cousins to this site. We would tube and ski. They would rent skis, sell snacks. It was so much fun. There was a ladder to the ski jump and can not imagine what guts it took to go off that. You really have to see it to imagine it! And there was much talk about the “old guys” who would jump. I remember many injuries, ski accidents I was there when a boy broke his leg. No one thought “law suit” it was part of the rough and tumble of winter in ND! It slowly got more limited, tubes taking off lower and lower and I am not sure why it closed….wonderful childhood memories!

11. D Roerick says:

FYI this was in the 70′s and early 80′s.

12. Erik says:

any idea whos owns this property now?

• Rick Monteith says:

It’s on tribal land.. there was once talk about developing it as a ski resort, but nothing ever came of it. I believe the tribal council vetoed it.

13. Michael says:

Good memories from High school days of snowboarding at the ski hill…..:)

14. Kirsten says:

I remember when this thing was up and working when we were younger I was at least 5 we use to go tubing down this hill all the time and the my older siblings would ski down the hill. Looking at it now it looks very scary.

15. Dawn says:

This ski jump was used in about the 20′s where they had Olympic Trials. The jump was closed sometime after that the but hill had a tow rope lift to get you to the top to ski down. I think that was still in use into the 80′s.

16. Justin says:

Care to share, Adele? That’d be awesome.

17. Rennie Andreas says:

The jump was probably used in the 20′s and 30′s by Caspar Oeimen (sp?) of Minot, who jumped for the U.S. in 2 Olympics; late 20′s and early 30′s. The old Minot Municipal Golf Course (on South Hill where the High School is now) also had a jump, but not as high as Devils Lake. A bunch of kids learned to ski there. In high school in the early 60′s several of us would go to Devils Lake for weekends to ski at Skyline Skiway, the area that had the jump. The jump was closed off, but we built snow jumps on the landing hill and tried to kill ourselves that way! The rope tow would take us to the top of the hill where we had a choice of 2 runs! You really needed a rope-gripper to ride the tow to the top all day. They also had night skiing on the weekends. Man, it got cold! I miss those days, even after skiing all over the world since then.

18. Mary Ann says:

We used to ski there on Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays when I was a kid until I graduated from high school in 1972 and moved away. It was a lot of fun. The Oleson’s ran it then. I’ll never forget those good times. I even went down the hill on my face on one Friday night after slipping on a patch of ice after it rained one day and then snowed on top of that. My skis went out from under me. We found them the next day when we went out to ski again. The best of times!

19. Jaime Flaagan says:

This is where I learned to ski back in the late 60′s early 70′s. Had to have an adult help us kids hold the rope to get to the top or the rope would lift you off the ground on the high spot or drive you into the ground on the breakover. I am now a ski lift electrician on Vail Mountain. Still skiing…

20. Larry says:

Wow – brings back memories. As crazy teenagers we used to climb to the top of the then old rickity structure. Usually on a dare. This is one of two tall structures in and around Devils Lake we used to climb. The other was the DL Watertower. I now get dizzy looking down from a ten story building. Later, early seventies, the jump hill was used for competition motorcycle hill climbs. As Einstein stated there is a limit on genius and no limit on stupidity.

21. Pam Reisnouer-Vilchis says:

I learned to ski at the Skyline Skiway. My most vivid memory was cracking two ribs the week before I had to march in President Carter’s Inauguration Parade. I hit the same tree two years in a row! We had a lot of good times there! I was always fascinated with the ski jump. Thanks for the memories!

22. Robert says:

I remember going there for Luther League outings. There was a building at the bottom to rent ski’s and poles. Usually wore out your gloves on rope lift. Was early 70′s. Maddock Bobcats and Viking Church people.

23. Brian says:

There used to be a ski Jump North of Fargo as well likely not as high as this one. My grandfather had been to it and seen it. He has past away but I saw pictures once of it also and it was pretty high. Hard to believe there could even be one anywhere near Fargo for how flat it is around here. I’d like to know where my grandfathers pictures ended up I’d like to find that picture. Does anyone know about the Fargo Ski jump?

24. Brian says:

Found pictures of the Fargo Ski Jump on the NDSU archives site. Way cool and higher than I thought.

25. Mary Ann says:

Yes, we wore out gloves and jackets using the rope tow, but we had them patched and re-enforced with tough leather in those areas to keep using them. It was just so much fun, we didn’t care.

26. Jay Demarce says:

I grew up in front the ski jump, the clearing in the trees on the other side of the road is where my grandparents home is located. I grew up with that view, it was my sanctuary in difficult times. There was a beach down the road on Highway 57 that is long gone now due to the flooding. The memories…

27. Jerry says:

I remember stairs all the way up. I think they were taken down to keep people from trying to climb them. My mother recalls her and her brothers climbing to the top.

28. Adele says:

Beautiful, Awesome photos. I have some great OLD pictures of this ski jump of my Aunt and her family posing on the ski lift.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] We visited for the first time in 2012 after a site visitor tipped us off to its existence and the photo gallery is one of our most […]

2. […] vanishing places in the lands surrounding the lake — places like Hamar, Grand Harbor, and the ski jump at Sully’s hill. ┬áIn the last few decades however, Devils Lake has risen steadily and has driven more people from […]

3. […] This is a mirror post from GhostsofNorthDakota.com — see the original here. […]