Fillmore’s Lost Legacy

By / March 8, 2013 / Fillmore, ND

A half dozen structures or more have been lost to fires of questionable origin in Fillmore in recent years, a story which we addressed here.  As a result, we went back into our photo archive and chose to add to the site these photos, which we’ve never before posted. Most of what you see here is now gone.

Fillmore

This building is now gone.

Fillmore Fillmore

The rail line which once ran past Fillmore went right through this cut in the ridgeline.

Fillmore Fillmore Order the Book Fillmore Fillmore Fillmore Fillmore Fillmore fillmore2-5 Fillmore fillmore2-1

Both of these buildings are now gone.

About Author

Troy Larson

Troy Larson is a father, husband, author, photographer, publisher and devoted cat person. Troy is the President of Sonic Tremor Media and co-founder of GhostsofNorthDakota.com

12 Comments

Sharon Klemm

That building surrounded by pines, appears to be a church, is gone too????? Why? It appears to be in good condition.

There is just something about Filmore that captures my attention.

cape cod bill

I lived my life as a commercial fisherman in new England and North Dakota reminds me of the ocean I just love the land scape and the old buildings remind me of days gone bye very cool it is too bad someone or something is burning these buildings but remember all things are lost in time

Sharon Klemm

Bill

Indeed ND should remind you of the ocean as you are looking at the bottom of an ancient seabed. Check out the geologic history of ND sometime, it is absolutely fascinating what was and what we are looking at now. It is an extraordinary place.

Karen Crowston

Church is still standing. We had 2000 people at the centenial in July 2012 and the church was the headquarters for registering and displaying family photos of past residents. In order to save this structure we will need about $10,000 to put a new roof on it. Right now it is headquarters for racoons and other varmits that can climb the pines, get on the roof and fall into the church through the holes that are leaking snow and rain into the building. For anyone who loves history and would like to see the structure saved, please send your donations to the Fillmore Reunion Committee at Fillmore, ND

Not Amused

Last year your group raised an unknown amount of money for the very same purpose. 2,000 people at, what, $75 a head?

Which begs the questions:
Why would anyone donate money to the very same people that burned most of Fillmore to the ground in order to raise money to save that very same church and a defunct cemetery already?
and
Where, if not to the places promised, did that money go?

I suggest you buy some more gas, invite the family, and, as you people are fond of saying, “exfoliate your souls” in the bizarre burning ritual that has become your heritage.

Don’t forget the marshmallows.

Larry D.

Methinks someone crept in at breakfast time and sprinkled Bitterpills on someones cereal — who is not amused.

Even Less Amused

Oh, Larry, sometimes breakfast is like that, but those are fair questions. Where did all that money go?

Bob

Thank you Not Amused for saying what needed to be said ! You have a lot of NERVE Karen and the rest of you involved in your pathetic arson antics to ask for yet MORE money when you were given boatloads already to fix that church roof and well, surprise, surprise, nothing has been done.

So, where DID all that money go???????

steve

I was married at this church,,,after Viet Naum,,,though the church was built of stone,, the marriage was
nt as strong

katie

Hear, hear Less Amused, I couldn’t agree with you more. Was so disgusted at what happened when I came to the centennial.

Jamie

My aunt Sandy was born and raised there. I used to go with her and my cousins to visit her folks there and we used to play basketball in the abandoned gym. Was falling down then but was so cool on the inside. Had a balcony in the gym. Sad to see them gone, but great memories!