Flora, North Dakota is in Benson County, about 40 miles southwest of Devils Lake. According to North Dakota Place Names by Douglas A. Wick, it’s an unincorporated community which had only 8 residents as of 1982. Former resident Kevin K. tells us there are now three remaining residents. Flora had a Post Office for 70 years, from 1901 to 1971, when it was closed and mail went to Maddock. Flora was originally known as Schuyler.
We took these photos in 2008.
The owner of this church has taken the care to install a steel roof, which probably extended the life of this place by decades. Awesome.
Photos by Troy Larson and Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC