olga-feature

Olga, ND

This is Olga, North Dakota, a near-ghost town in northern North Dakota — the oldest settlement in Cavalier County having been established in 1882 as St. Pierre.  Olga once had nearly 100 residents but underwent a slow decline over several decades.  Today, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart church is the most impressive local landmark.  These shots were captured by Terry in 2006.

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Olga, North Dakota

Photos by Terry Hinnenkamp, copyright Sonic Tremor Media LLC

Comments
21 Responses to “Olga, ND”
  1. Marne says:

Beautiful pictures! <3

• Kathleen Barrish says:

Wonderful photos…especially the sunflowers.

Where do live now?

• Leo says:

Why didn’t you show some of the “alive pictures”
      THERE ARE 22 people living in this “Ghost town”

• troylarson says:

We said it’s a “near-ghost town,” Leo. If you’re offended that we generally post photos of abandoned structures, then this site probably isn’t for you.

2. Faye Hoff says:

I grew up near Olga North Dakota, and my family and many generations….grew up in Olga…we went to church in Olga , it is one of the most beautiful Churches, inside, i have many many memories there, and is so sad to see that Olga is nearly a Ghost Town, have many relatives burried in the cemetery behind the church and my father-in-law made the sign ….do you have a book of North Dakota Ghost Towns that Olga would be in?

thanks for sharing

3. alison raheem says:

So nice to see, my home town. Unfortunately the poor old barn has fallen down. So glad you included Olga.

4. craig benoit says:

There’s not meany of us left that can say that we live in Olga but I’m proud to be one of them

5. dash says:

I hope someone is around to open the time capsule in 2082!

• Clif Nelson says:

We used to snowmobile thru Olga in the mid 90′s,there was a lil’ hole in the wall bar that was hit and miss on being open…I also used to work with a Mudgie Kuff (not sure of the spelling,but that is how it sounded )…Also worked with his son in 1970 for Joe Mayo and Son construction…plus his daughter Carole was married at one time to very good friend of mine with Mayo’s,Vernie…Ithink the one house pictured may be their old house,tell me if that is true,anyone..I grew up in Adams ,N.D,,A lil’ town about 40 miles to soth and a bit west of Olga…Mudgie’s brother Bob worked for Mayo in 1965 as my foreman….long time ago

6. alison raheem says:

Clif Nelson, it’s not there house. Mudgie Cuffe was my grandpa. The white house was Annie cuffe’s house.

7. Bonnie Yates says:

I have a photo of my mom and her three sisters standing in front of what might have been Lister’s or Sisters Boarding House taken about 1940; my grandmother wrote “Caffe” in the margin under a woman standing behind my mom. I found an Anne Caffe then Cuffe on 1920, 1930, and 1940 censuses for Olga, ND. Would you be willing to look at the photo and see if you could identify the woman named Caffe or recognize the lovely old house they are in front of? Please send your email address to me. Thank you.

• WOULD BE INTRESTED IN SEEING THAT PHOTO MY FATHER GREW UP IN OLGA . HES STILL ALIVE AND WOULD LOVE TO SHOW HIM THE OLD PHOTO MAYBE HE COULD HELP IDENTIFY WHOS IN THE PHOTO

tHANKS dALE cLOVER

• alison raheem says:

I’m sorry I did not see this earlier Bonnie. Annie Cuffe was my great grandmother. I would love to see the photo. I have a page on facebook, Olga North Dakota. You could share the photo on it if you don’t mind.

8. Joel Beyer says:

I visited Olga one time. Back in 1975 on a very hot July day my cousin married Art Brusseau at the big Catholic church in the tiny town with a couple houses and two bars. I remember the day well. I recently saw my cousin at our grandmothers funeral. i reminded her of the names of all five songs that were sung at the really long mass on that HOT day in Olga. :)

9. Michele Brusseau Geigle says:

I grew up in Olga. My dad still lives there. It was the best place to hang out with friends. We use to climb on the church steps and jump off the highest one. We walked throughout the cemetery in the evening and would scare each other. Bike riding, getting treats at the Olga bar, hide and seek, kickball, baseball, volleyball, horseback riding, dances, church celebrations…..we did it all. My parents were married there. I had my first communion, confirmation, wedding, my sons baptism and my moms funeral there. I wish my kids would have experienced Olga like I did. I believe Olga and the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church helped to make me the person I am today. Love my hometown!!!,

10. Mike Brusseau says:

I also grew up in Olga with my 4 sisters and brother. I have to agree with my sister Michele on growing up here. Lots of memories with the Beauchamps and Benoits. Would not trade it for anything

11. Mark Johnson says:

Thanks for the photos. My mother grew up in nearby Langdon, and her father was Henri (Henry) Pelletier, who was raised on a farm near Olga (his mother was a Beauchamp). We lived on the East Coast, but I remember coming back to Olga in the early 80s (I would have been in Middle School at the time) for a big family reunion with the Beauchamps and Pelletiers – I wonder if that coincided with the Centennial and the burial of the time capsule.

12. Kat Lucy Riseman says:

A interesting website. I was pleased to see some pictures of Olga. My family were early settlers in the area. My grandparents are buried in the cemetery. I believe that my grandfather, John Lucy, purchased the bell for the church. I’m interested in getting some of the church records death records. Is the church still active?

13. Diane F. Smith says:

My father, Theodore E. (Ted) Didier was born in Olga Aug 3, 1893. There were 6 boys in this family, and he was ‘farmed out’ at about 8 years old to help earn money for his widowed mother. She later married Emil Florentin and had 2 more boys, and died in child birth. My grandmother’s maiden name was Laderoute. I visited the cemetery briefly in 1955 looking for their graves at the church, but couldn’t find them. wish I could go back again. My father moved to Saco, Montana in 1916 and homesteaded, then joined WWI with the group from Olga in ’17. After the war he came back to Mt. and lived here. He died in 1985 at 93 years old. I would love to hear from anyone who might have known of my family. I am 78 yrs. young, and not able to travel anymore due to a disability. thank you for your time. Diane F. Smith

14. L. Lariviere says:

Just down the road a few miles to the north and east was a town/village called Beaulieu. I don’t know if any buildings are still standing but at one, it had a store and a school.