Eldridge, ND

Located in Stutsman County just a few minutes west of Jamestown, Eldridge is a very small community of perhaps a dozen residents. Eldridge began as Burton in 1879 but was renamed in honor of a local Bonanza farmer a year later. At one time, Eldridge was home to nearly 100 residents.

We originally became aware of Eldridge in June of 2010 when Dustin Person sent us a photo of the school.

Rat and I arrived at 7 am on a foggy, misty Saturday morning and got our feet soaking wet within the first five minutes of exploring the school. Even at that early hour, we saw several vehicles pass during our visit.

Someone has taken pains to secure the school at some time in the past, but vandals have done their will to the the boarded up entrances. We were quite surprised to discover the original wood-frame Eldridge School still resides in the trees behind the large brick school. It appears to have been turned into a garage at some point in the past.

Eldridge, ND

An old workhorse rests, retired in the schoolyard.

Order the Book

Eldridge, ND

Comments
7 Responses to “Eldridge, ND”
  1. LeRoy Schutt says:

I lived in Eldridge from 1943 ( birthdate in Jamestown ND ) until 1961 . Attended grade school ( 1 thru 8 ) in that wonderful old school ( approx 1949 thru 1957 ) . My brothers still own a farm approx 5 miles NW of Eldridge . Many memories are summoned when viewing the interior of that now neglected school .

2. Elizabeth says:

I used to live on a farm about one mile outside of Eldridge on 76th, when I was 10-12 years old. I never went into town, but the school bus took me through town every day. Even then, I was completely fascinated by history; I used to stare out the window at the schoolhouse and that old store fa├žade. I remember that the witch’s hat in the schoolyard captivated my interest. I did not know that the original school was there as well. I’m really glad that I have these pictures to finally satisfy my curiosity.

3. Thomas says:

I am just looking at a picture by David Plowden entitled “General store, Eldridge, North Dakota” in his 1972 book “Floor of the Sky”. The picture was taken 1970 or 71. I could not find this building on Google aerial view. It might have been razed since then. I found a another picture by Plowden of this store (differently cropped) online:
    Does anybody remember him taking pictures there?

4. August says:

We moved to Eldridge in 1967. At that time both elevators were still open along with general store and post office. The old school, out back, was used as a bus garage at the time. I have many memories of that school, as I attended it thru 8th grade. Every Christmas, on the stage in the basement, we would put a play on, which all the children enjoyed. After school I would head to the general store, to spend my nickel or dime and to pick up the family mail at the post office. Art and Hilda always welcomed you with a smile. Hilda operated the store till Art passed away, than she donated it to the Frontier Village, in Jamestown. The school closed down in the 80′s as did the last elevator. The one thing I remember about that school is the trophy cabinet. Eldridge dominated class c basketball in the early days of the school and those trophies always made us feel proud of our little school.

5. Jordan Blake says:

It would sure be neat if you could photograph Easby, North Dakota

6. Wenzel says:

I went to a Christmas play here my cousin was in that was the winter of 1986. I remember walking past the store and grain elevators to the school from there family’s home. It was a ghost town then covered in snow I was seven but the memory of the grain elevators and an old gas pump stick out.