Kintyre, ND

By / June 1, 2013 / Kintyre, ND

Kintyre, North Dakota is a small town in Emmons County, about 45 miles southeast of Bismarck.  It is an unincorporated community of perhaps 50 residents.  The name, Kintyre, is a reference to the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland, derived from the clan McKintyre.  Kintyre was originally called Campbell after two brothers who first farmed the area.

Kintyre, ND Kintyre, ND Kintyre, ND

The concrete structure holding up the car looks like it could be a former bank vault.

Kintyre, ND Kintyre, ND

The brick structure at the base of this tree also looks like it could have been a bank vault.

Kintyre, ND Order Ghosts of North Dakota Books Kintyre, ND

Kintyre, ND

Kintyre, ND Kintyre, ND

A pine tree lying on top of a structure.

Kintyre, ND

About Author

Troy Larson

Troy Larson is a father, husband, author, photographer, publisher and devoted cat person. Troy is the President of Sonic Tremor Media and co-founder of GhostsofNorthDakota.com

8 Comments

Ron Major

I was told by Leo Gross who grew up in the area that the brick buildings were used as meat locker for the local community. The post man would have a key to the locker, and they would make deliveries to area farmsteads. The photo of the large building was the grocery store.

Adeline Wolf

I feel the Kintyre is not a ghost town.We had a CASENH business there for 43 years, Now it is Titan Machinery. Plus South Center Grain has a chemical builind. Also doing great business serving the farms. You never showed what is left at Kintyre. The Implment building. 6 family homes and plus a nice brick building which is the Lutheran Church. As long as there is some life there it is not a ghost town. Once all the people are gone plus business it is a ghost town

troylarson

Adeline, we didn’t say it was a ghost town. We said it’s a small town with about 50 residents.

Wendy

My mother’s family is from here. Grew up just to the north of it. She was married there, and I personally spent many-a- christmas at the church. (do they still ring the bell?)
Miss it. thanks for sharing! Hope all lives on!

Sharon Jutila

Oh yes that bell rings yet every Sunday Morning at 11:00. Come and join us for a service someday when you are in the area, We love to see former members and their families.
The church has gotten a new metal roof and new windows in the past several years.

Krista

Am Wendy’s sis, and yes spent many-a-CHRISTmas at the church…glad to hear Sharon on the bell, new roof & windows. Our mom was one of Reinert & Sigfrid’s daughters [Randi] and now am I rarely in the area, but will definitely keep your invitation in mind…remember seeing the old one-room school house as we drive into town, and of course the cemetery up on the hill, so to speak…last time there was from Joy’s passing…very peaceful town.

Sharon Jutila

I remember your parents very well. haven’t seen your Dad in ages either, probably at Joys funeral.
we miss seeing Rolf and Carol too.
Thanks for your response, Happy Easter,

Linda Johnson

My dad’s family is from Kintyre, and still live in the area. Many, many good memories of services at the church; I miss those days! Whenever I’m in ND, I go there and visit the well-cared for cemetery and put flowers out. There are so many relatives buried there- I can’t imagine a more peaceful resting place.