Hamar, North Dakota

Hamar, North Dakota is in Eddy County, not far from Tolna, about a half hour southeast of Devils Lake.  We met a local resident named Troy Gleason who gave us quite a bit of information on Hamar — the population is six, including a family of  three, two widows, and Troy.

Hamar, North Dakota

Hamar didn’t seem particularly remote compared to some of the places we’ve visited, so I was somewhat surprised to discover cell service was hit and miss.

Hamar, North Dakota

The building shown here is the former post office for Hamar.  Carla Christofferson, Miss North Dakota 1989, and now renowned Los Angeles attorney and co-owner of the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks, was raised on a farm near here, and Mr. Gleason told us Ms. Christofferson’s mother once ran the post office in Hamar out of this building. At one time, there was a trailer attached.

Hamar, North Dakota

This former school still hosts meetings on occasion.

Hamar, North Dakota

Hamar, North Dakota was featured in our third book.

Hamar, North Dakota

Comments
24 Responses to “Hamar, North Dakota”
  1. Michelle says:

A great place and great pictures. Ahh, Hamar.

2. Sharon Klemm says:

The local architecture and building designs is strikingly beautiful. The school house is just another example of many.

3. Carla says:

I love Hamar!

• Corey Greve says:

So, are you “the” Carla, as mentioned above?

• Carla says:

Well, that is a reference to me, but I have gotten a lot of teasing about how much of the description is accurate!

• I used to babysit for your mom and dad when I lived in Hamar.

• Paul Hjelden says:

Ah Hamar,Myrtle Thieland was My teacher for Our 1st 4 grades,Then Mrs.Halvorson til they closed the school.We lived next to the school in Lector LaMotts house til The LaMotts moved back to Hamar and took over the Bar.My father Elmer Hjelden worked for Eddy county as the road grader operator.Our family totaled 16 children but most had already left home .I think 8 of Us lived in Hamar with Mom and Dad til Dads [passing]1958.Mom Isabella lived there for many years after all the kids had left.

4. Hamar was my address before I moved away in the 1960′s. When the post office closed, Tolna became the address instead of Hamar. I grew up on a farm aprox. 7 miles south of Hamar. I knew kids that went to that school in Hamar. I went to a one room school house in the country that was right west of our house. One gal by the name of Barbara Kjelden who went to the school in Hamar and I won the Eddy county spelling contest when we were eighth graders. We tied with a score of 100.

We had neighbors two our south who moved into Hamar. They were Amanda and Carl Johnson. They used to visit us alot. Mom and Amanda had many good talks.

It is sad to see these town that we knew so well become “ghost towns” Thanks for keeping these memories alive by this website.

• Karen Haugland Solhjem says:

Please excuse the typo (second paragraph) in my last post. It should read “to” instead of “two”. I tried editing it but there was no way that could be done. Also in third paragraph a typo. Should read “towns” instead of “town”.

5. Jan says:

Lots of great memories of Hamar Bar with Ernie and Pickles.

6. Rick says:

Carla and Jan.. Do you remember when Lector ran the bar?

7. John Stangeland says:

Oh shucks, I was going to nail you on that misspelling.

8. Bradd Delfs says:

“Lots of great memories of Hamar Bar with Ernie and Pickles.”
    Oh yeah, who could ever forget Ernie? What a guy! You would walk in to the bar, there’d be tractor seat stools, maybe a dog sleeping in the corner. sometimes a patron or two sleeping as well. Yep, been there a few times in my youth.

9. Chuck Bowen says:

My Mom (Inis Thompson back then) taught at Hamar back during WW2. She also taught in Baker and Harlow. In one of those three town she lost all her belongings in a house fire.

10. Sherry formerly Brudeseth says:

My late ex-mother in law, Margaret Eikom Brudeseth taught at that one room school in the 1940s and possibly into the 1950s. Her parents, the Eikoms, lived in Hamar when I first visited in 1976 with my ex, Richard Norman Brudeseth. The house you see belonged to the late Clarence and Jenny Brudeseth (Clarence owned the general store) and was inherited by Norman and Margaret Brudeseth as a summer home until Norman’s passing in 1993. The house next door, smaller, belonged to the Eikom family and they lived in it until around the early 1980s. Hope this helps the history.

11. Melody says:

My grandparents Norman and Margaret (Eikom) Brudeseth and my mom and uncle are from Hamar. Seeing these pictures brought back lots of happy summertime memories! Thanks for sharing them.

12. Melody says:

Hi Sherry! Imagine running into a “kind of” relative…lol. It’s sad to see Hamar disappearing. I’d love to buy the old house just have it in the family.

13. Floyd Joramo says:

I’m Floyd Joramo, Son of Joseph Joramo, Who was brother of Olaf, Sam,& Carl Joramo. I was born in The Now Ghost town of Hamar ND. Attended Minco Valley School 1st grade, and 2nd 3rd grade at Hamar School 1946 & 47 My mother Mame was the teacher.
    My father owned the farm a half mile North of town from pre WWI to 1948.
    My Brother Lee is buried in Tolna Cemetery.

14. Michael Myhre says:

My Dad, Olger Myhre taught at the Hamar school in the 1930′s – My grandpa, Stuart B. Clute was a mail carrier in Hamar for 40 some years, retiring in the early 1960s. He was there while Clarence and Jenny Brudeseth were there. I spent a lot of time in Hamar visiting my grandparents and have wonderful memories. I remember the Gleasons, Brudeseths, Lector Lamont, Ray Lamont, Gilletts, and Lisscas. My aunt Bette Clute Tweed taught at Minco school and my uncle Don Clute owned the Hamar grocery store after my uncle Odin Hovdness owned and operated it for years.

• Paul Hjelden says:

Stuart Clute used to make rubber band guns for all the kids in town,Wish I still had one of them.He used to make them from apple boxes and would use a clothed pin for the trigger.To Me they were a work of art.

15. Wanda LaMotte Peterson says:

i have wonderful memories of Hamar. My cousins and I spent time during the summer with our Grandma Caroline LaMotte. Caroline and Lector LaMotte owned the bar prior to Ernie.

• Joanne Kane (Anderson) says:

Remember when we used to play outside the bar while we were waiting for our folks to have a few…
      I remember taking our cream in and we were so excited, because when we were done we could have an ice cream cone. I remember the bar and it’s uneven floor…using the post office…and the many hours sitting at the grain elevator with a load of grain while drinking a soda from the coke machine.
      I spent my 21 birthday in Hamar at the bar with Ernie, my Mom, Joyce Anderson, at the time and a friend…so yes, I have a few memories…happy ones!

16. Tom LaMotte says:

I left Hamar in 1963 and moved to Devils Lake.My mother and father,Lector and Caroline LaMotte owned the Hamar Bar from late 50′s to early 70′s.Always proud that I grew up in the Hamar area.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] in a concentration of now vanishing places in the lands surrounding the lake — places like Hamar, Grand Harbor, and the ski jump at Sully’s hill.  In the last few decades however, Devils […]