Landa, North Dakota

Landa, ND

Landa, North Dakota is a small town in Bottineau County, about seven miles south of the Canadian border.  According to the 2010 Census, Landa is home to 38 residents, down from a peak of 150 in 1920.

Landa, North Dakota

When we first drove into Landa, we saw a lot of inhabited homes with children playing and people out doing yard work, and we worried we might not find much to photograph. Upon a little exploration we discovered some good photo opportunities, including two vacant churches, a one room school house, and more.  There was also a somewhat modern school which someone has turned into an auto shop, and there some guys hanging around outside, so we chose not to photograph it.

Landa, North Dakota

Order the Book

Landa, North Dakota

Landa, North Dakota

Landa, North Dakota

shirt-banner

Landa, North Dakota

Once upon a time, this was the heart of Landa… the stopping point where residents gathered their goods and caught up on each other’s lives.  Today, groceries are bought in other places, in bigger towns down the road.

Landa, North Dakota

Landa, North Dakota

We just love these old filling stations like this. Tiny little places where a couple guys came out and filled your tank, washed your windows, and sent you on your way.

Landa, North Dakota

Landa, North Dakota

Writers/Bloggers: Ghosts of North Dakota intellectual property and photo use guidelines can be found here.

Comments
8 Responses to “Landa, ND”
  1. Clifton Nelson says:

this is very interesting,you guys have outdone yourselves again.

2. Shan Tonneson says:

The old school is actually a manufacturing company now. You should have stopped to visit, they are a great group of people and may have pointed you toward some other great places to photograph. Great pictures by the way!

3. Rick Nelson says:

Have enjoyed your website for years — thanks. Traveled to Landa this past May and it’s still a quaint, beautiful place! In 1927 or so, my dad and his dad built a house in Landa that’s still standing and used by a family who probably cared for my grandparents while they lived at the Lutheran Home in Minot — small world. Our family used to travel to and stay in Landa in the 50′s, while my grandparents still farmed their farm which is still in the family. Don’t recall which of the two still-standing churches we attended. Please keep Landa on your list of ND ‘ghost’ places, even tho there remain a few good folks there!

• Steve Carlson says:

My grandparents owned Festvogs Welding in Landa, also the Standard Gas station, which still stands. I was fortunate enough to live there while I finished high school in nearby Westhope, from 1972-1974.It was still a prosperous community then, but as the early residents of Landa passed on, Landa faded also. My best memories are in Landa.

4. Kevin Thompson says:

I remember having my overshoes patched in the gas station in the bottom picture.

5. I LIVED IN LANDA TOO GREAT TOWN I MISS IT THESE TOWNS WERE THE HEARTBEAT OF AMERICA , THE PEOPLE HAD HIGH MORALS , AND EVERYBODY PULLED THERE WEIGHT, FREE ICE CREAM ON ELEVATOR DAY (HARVEST WAS DONE) CHURCH BELLS ONE HOUR BEFORE SERVICE AND WHEN SERVICE BEGAN. THE GROCERY STORE YOU COULD CHARGE YOUR GROCERIES PAY AT THE END OF THE MONTH. THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE GREAT THINGS OF THIS TOWN REGARDS RICK SKAADEN

6. Rick Nelson says:

Steve Carlson – Then your grandfather used to repair my grandfather’s (Albin Nelson) farm equipment, et al and believe my dad (Lloyd) worked for your grandfather at the service station as well. Both of those two of my family members spoke highly of your grandfather. Heard that the service station building was to be included on the ‘national historic register’, but haven’t seen any follow-up. We still have the Model T for which your grandfather made a trailer ball hitch that attached to the spare tire so my grandfather could pull his hay wagon as needed. I have some old pics, including the construction of our family’s house on River at 102nd in 1927 and one or two of the T next to the house. Nice to have had great relatives ahead of us!

• Steve Carlson says:

I do remember the Nelsons’. I especially remember Albin Nelson. I would listen to the extensive BS sessions in my grandfathers welding shop. One farmer would see someones pickup truck he knew in front of the shop, and stop in. It would get so packed in his shop, that it was no longer a working environment. You could hear the laughter all the way down the road. My grandfather never complained as he started at 6am, and sometimes went back to the shop at night. I never realized how lucky I was to have been there then until years later!