Raleigh, North Dakota

Raleigh is a secluded little town in Grant County, just a short drive southwest of Mandan. The population is nine, and there are exactly two businesses in operation. The grain elevator does a brisk business, and the local tavern is called The Dogtooth — named after the hills which cut a ragged swath through the township. We visited Raleigh at the suggestion of Karla, the owner of Raleigh’s only watering hole, and we’re glad we did. There are plenty of good places to photograph, plus they had cold drinks and hot cheeseburgers, as promised. Just make sure you bring cash, no credit cards at the Dogtooth.

There were black and white photos on the wall of The Dogtooth from some day long ago — some men were pictured around the Freda Grain Elevator, just before they moved it (in the standing position) to Raleigh. We spoke with Karla at length, and she told us the Raleigh school now stands in Flasher.

Raleigh rests in the bottom of a natural bowl, and we were surprised to find we couldn’t get phone service anywhere.

Order the Book

Raleigh, North Dakota

We’re told the owner of this now-closed store passed away nearly three years ago.

This looks like the remains of the former Raleigh School

Writers/Bloggers: Ghosts of North Dakota intellectual property and photo use guidelines can be found here.

Comments
12 Responses to “Raleigh, North Dakota”
  1. Nancy D says:

Raleigh is my husband’s home town and we love to go and visit. Thanks for featuring it and for sharing. I have some beautiful photos from the Raleigh area. It used to be a little bustling community…back in the day.

2. Rick M says:

I grew up in the local areas Freda/Raleigh in the early 1960′s , and have memories of every building in Raleigh,and rode my pony in the 4th of July parade of 1964. in Freda all l remembered was the old Depot , in which Fred and his wife lived. There were good people that cared for 1 another.

3. Ernie Silbernagel says:

The picture from Raleigh in this book, the bank building, is where Grandpa Frank and Grandma Verna lived when I first went there after Mom and Dad got married. They lived in the basement and the post office was upstairs in the old bank office. The very first time I was there Grandpa Frank came riding up on a horse on the right (south) side of the building. I sat up on the horse with him and had our picture taken. I don’t know how many years later they moved into a house around the corner and down the street. There is a picture in the archive of Uncle Roger sitting on top of a load of furniture on a farm truck. Roger is holding up a Post Office sign. The house they moved into had a large enclosed porch that became the post office. It had a coal fired furnace in the basement. I would go down there in the cold mornings and help Dad stoke the fire. There was an outside well with a hand pump. There was a pump by the kitchen sink to pump water from the cistern in the basement. Grandma was the first in Raleigh to get a gas or maybe oil furnace. She was also the first to get an electric pump and running water in her house. As I recall people came to the post office 7 days a week.
    PS The false fronted building on the corner with a yield sign by it was where my cousin Gary miller and his family lived in the back. The front was a garage and had gas pumps at one time. We spent the 4th of July at the Raleigh Rodeo many many summers.

4. Phil Tice says:

My grandparent homesteaded here in 1910 or so, My mother was born there. They lived in a sod house in a community called Flasher. There only other son, Robert, was stricken with diptheria and died at age 5. They moved to Wisconsin in 1920. Hope to visit the area perhaps this coming summer, Would like any helpful info on the history and such, as I am working on a book I hope to publish on her life and times.

• John Bosworth says:

What was your mom’s last name? My Dad’s side (Bosworth) is from Raleigh. I have some old photos of people they knew that would be better off in relative’s hands.

5. Bonita Gross Ringuette says:

My uncle Adoph and Aunt Margret lived in Raleigh for years. I remember visiting them when I was very small. I think my Uncle Pete and Aunt Ann lived there too but I am not positive about that.
    My sister and I drove through Raliegh on our way to St Gertrudes this past summer and I was stunned to see how much it had changed.

• Brenda Ternes says:

Uncle Adolph and Aunt Margret were my aunt and uncle too! Didn’t Barney Ternes run the lumber yard? I remember he had large water troughs out back and one summer there were frogs in them! My friend Lori lived in Raleigh then. She showed me the frogs.

6. Marie says:

Guys,

I graduated from Flasher, ND and visit often. My dad is very good friends with Karla, and when we visit, we love to hit the Dogtooth Inn! Beautiful pictures! Love you posts!

Marie

• Marie says:

Oops – hit send before I could edit. Anyway, the late owner of the store was the mom of my close friend. We had many sleepovers there! Very cool place.

• Diane says:

Marie, that lady who ran the post office/store was my Aunt! Originally the store was owned by my grandparents, Adolph & Ruffina Kopp. They had a farm outside of Raleigh for many years while my grandfather worked at the Grant County Courthouse. My Mother, Rose (Kopp) Hersch moved back to Raleigh for 10 years and it was her house that burned in 1994. It was right next to the post office. Use to be a candy store when I was young. The folks who owned the candy store also owned the lumber yard, last name Ternes if I recall. I still visit often as I have relatives in and around the Raleigh area. My father grew up in Flasher, ND. Great to see the pictures & comments about this small town.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] buildings on the town site.  There was also a grani elevator here at one time, but it was moved to Raleigh.  We spoke to a local resident who didn’t even know it was there.  If you don’t know [...]