Raleigh, North Dakota, Population 9

By / August 8, 2013 / Raleigh, ND

Raleigh is a secluded little town in Grant County, just a short drive southwest of Mandan. The population is nine, and there are exactly two businesses in operation. The grain elevator does a brisk business, and the local tavern is called The Dogtooth — named after the hills which cut a ragged swath through the township.

Raleigh, North Dakota

We visited Raleigh at the suggestion of Karla, the owner of Raleigh’s only watering hole, and we’re glad we did. There are plenty of good places to photograph, plus they had cold drinks and hot cheeseburgers, as promised. Just make sure you bring cash, no credit cards at the Dogtooth.

Raleigh, North Dakota

There were black and white photos on the wall of The Dogtooth from some day long ago — some men were pictured around the Freda Grain Elevator, just before they moved it (in the standing position) to Raleigh. We spoke with Karla at length, and she told us the Raleigh school now stands in Flasher.

Raleigh rests in the bottom of a natural bowl, and we were surprised to find we couldn’t get phone service anywhere.

Raleigh, North Dakota Order the Book Raleigh, North Dakota

We’re told the owner of this now-closed store passed away nearly three years ago.

Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota Raleigh, North Dakota

This looks like the remains of the former Raleigh School

About Author

Troy Larson

Troy Larson is a father, husband, author, photographer, publisher and devoted cat person. Troy is the President of Sonic Tremor Media and co-founder of GhostsofNorthDakota.com

27 Comments

Nancy D

Raleigh is my husband’s home town and we love to go and visit. Thanks for featuring it and for sharing. I have some beautiful photos from the Raleigh area. It used to be a little bustling community…back in the day.

Rick M

I grew up in the local areas Freda/Raleigh in the early 1960’s , and have memories of every building in Raleigh,and rode my pony in the 4th of July parade of 1964. in Freda all l remembered was the old Depot , in which Fred and his wife lived. There were good people that cared for 1 another.

Ernie Silbernagel

The picture from Raleigh in this book, the bank building, is where Grandpa Frank and Grandma Verna lived when I first went there after Mom and Dad got married. They lived in the basement and the post office was upstairs in the old bank office. The very first time I was there Grandpa Frank came riding up on a horse on the right (south) side of the building. I sat up on the horse with him and had our picture taken. I don’t know how many years later they moved into a house around the corner and down the street. There is a picture in the archive of Uncle Roger sitting on top of a load of furniture on a farm truck. Roger is holding up a Post Office sign. The house they moved into had a large enclosed porch that became the post office. It had a coal fired furnace in the basement. I would go down there in the cold mornings and help Dad stoke the fire. There was an outside well with a hand pump. There was a pump by the kitchen sink to pump water from the cistern in the basement. Grandma was the first in Raleigh to get a gas or maybe oil furnace. She was also the first to get an electric pump and running water in her house. As I recall people came to the post office 7 days a week.
PS The false fronted building on the corner with a yield sign by it was where my cousin Gary miller and his family lived in the back. The front was a garage and had gas pumps at one time. We spent the 4th of July at the Raleigh Rodeo many many summers.

Leo Ternes

For Ernie Silbernagel. Hi my name is Leo Ternes and I believe you are related to a Ternes family from Strasburg, Emmons Co., ND. I am interested in knowing how you are related to the Bosworth’s. I am also very interested in old pictures of people and buildings in the Raleigh area. If you go to my Facebook page you will see an album of old Raleigh pictures. I would like to hear from you via e-mail. My address is: Leo.ternes@hotmail.com

Phil Tice

My grandparent homesteaded here in 1910 or so, My mother was born there. They lived in a sod house in a community called Flasher. There only other son, Robert, was stricken with diptheria and died at age 5. They moved to Wisconsin in 1920. Hope to visit the area perhaps this coming summer, Would like any helpful info on the history and such, as I am working on a book I hope to publish on her life and times.

John Bosworth

What was your mom’s last name? My Dad’s side (Bosworth) is from Raleigh. I have some old photos of people they knew that would be better off in relative’s hands.

Leo Ternes

For John Bosworth. Hi, my name is Leo Ternes and I was born and raised in Raleigh. I do have some old Raleigh photos posted on my Facebook account. I am very interested in any old photos you might have of people and place from in and around Raleigh. My father Bernard Ternes owned the lumberyard and a candy store in Raleigh. Please send me an e-mail message if you are willing to share the old photos with me. E-mail is: Leo.ternes@hotmail.com

Bonita Gross Ringuette

My uncle Adoph and Aunt Margret lived in Raleigh for years. I remember visiting them when I was very small. I think my Uncle Pete and Aunt Ann lived there too but I am not positive about that.
My sister and I drove through Raliegh on our way to St Gertrudes this past summer and I was stunned to see how much it had changed.

Brenda Ternes

Uncle Adolph and Aunt Margret were my aunt and uncle too! Didn’t Barney Ternes run the lumber yard? I remember he had large water troughs out back and one summer there were frogs in them! My friend Lori lived in Raleigh then. She showed me the frogs.

Lindsey Miller

I remember Aunt Maggie! We used to visit her when she was living at one of the homes in Bismarck. Pete and Anna Miller did live in Raleigh, they were my grandparents. It’s a small world! :)

Marie

Guys,

I graduated from Flasher, ND and visit often. My dad is very good friends with Karla, and when we visit, we love to hit the Dogtooth Inn! Beautiful pictures! Love you posts!

Marie

Marie

Oops – hit send before I could edit. Anyway, the late owner of the store was the mom of my close friend. We had many sleepovers there! Very cool place.

Diane

Marie, that lady who ran the post office/store was my Aunt! Originally the store was owned by my grandparents, Adolph & Ruffina Kopp. They had a farm outside of Raleigh for many years while my grandfather worked at the Grant County Courthouse. My Mother, Rose (Kopp) Hersch moved back to Raleigh for 10 years and it was her house that burned in 1994. It was right next to the post office. Use to be a candy store when I was young. The folks who owned the candy store also owned the lumber yard, last name Ternes if I recall. I still visit often as I have relatives in and around the Raleigh area. My father grew up in Flasher, ND. Great to see the pictures & comments about this small town.

Trudy Fraase Wolf

I remember running in street races and watching the parade for the 4th of July in Raleigh back in the 70s while visiting my grandparents, Fred and Elisabeth Fraase in Freda.

Ernie Silbernagel

we spent every 4th of July at Grandma Bosworths. She was the postmaster. We went to all the festivities and spent the day at the rodeo, evening at the baseball game and dance. I won the pie eating contest 2 years in a row.

Anne Malia

Is this the same town where St. Gertrude’s Elementary School was located in? I was just wondering because I was there in 1975 for the school year. I taught there for one year and moved back to Massachusetts. There was a town called Flasher that had the Pioneer Lodge where I stayed for a bit. I have to say that while I was there, I had never met such a fine group of people in my life. I have a place in my heart for the great people of North Dakota and will never forget my time in that wonderful place. Does anyone know Emma Loeb? Great lady.

Linda Soucy Schroeder

Did you teach 1st grade? My 1st grade teacher was from Massachusetts!
My teachers name was Miss Deluca ?sp

Linda Soucy Schroeder

If you are that teacher I have been looking for you for YEARS! I thought you stayed in my grandmas basement but then I do remember you having to come from Flasher as well and you talked about the grasshoppers on your windshield! OH I HOPE THIS IS YOU:)

Anne Malia

Hi Linda, Yes! Yes! Yes! I have never forgotten you guys and never will. When you started school on the first day, you didn’t want to come in. So I said to you, “You can sit and watch and when you’re ready, you can join us. About ten minutes later, you never looked back. I have to say being there fo one year was one of the top things of importance in my life. You people are the greatest, and even though I was so young, and inexperienced, I was impressed by all. I have a photo album of all the kids and Emma, too. I wrote to her many years after I left there. I hope she is doing well. Sorry to hear about her husband.
By the way, I never forgot about those grasshoppers either. Ha Ha. How are you doing? Are you still living in North Dakota? Do you have a family? Tell me how everyone is out there. I miss you all and think of you guys all the time. I got married in 1982 and adopted a wonderful little boy from Korea in 1988. He is now a financial analyst and is 26 years old. Where did the time go???? I
I didn’t continue teaching much after that year, because there were so few jobs so I did other things. You never know where the road of life will take you but it’s worth the ride. I hope to hear from you again, Wait till you see my email. annedakota1@verizon.net.
My nephew sent me a link to the ghosts of North Dakota and somehow, by the powers above, I got to this site. Who would have known. Hoping to hear from you, say hi to all that remember me, and tell them I rember them all. Bye for now, Miss DeLuca. Now, Anne Malia.

Linda Soucy Schroeder

Anne I sent you an email I hope you get it if not please put another message on here and we will try to connect again!

Debbie "Ternes"

I grew up in Shields and went to school at St. Gertrudes. I live beside Emma Leobs oldest daughter Della. Emmas husband passed about three years ago and she now lives in Mandan, ND.

Clif Nelson

my wife,Patty who was a Zins is from Raleigh…..We stopped at the Dogtooth bar last summer in July and had a beer and cheeseburgers,delicious….it is fun to visit small towns lke this….Patty’s brother Florian still farms the Zins farm straight east of Raleigh where Patty was born and raised.