Ambrose, North Dakota

Still More Ambrose, North Dakota

The photos on this page are another collection of the photos we took when we visited Ambrose, North Dakota in the summer of 2010. Ambrose, in Divide County, is a town of 26 according to the 2010 Census, and we intend revisit again sometime soon. There is a lot to photograph in Ambrose. See the rest of our Ambrose galleries here.

Ambrose, North Dakota

The former hospital in Ambrose was vacant and slowly being overtaken by trees when we took these photos in 2010.

Ambrose, North Dakota

Order Books

Ambrose, North Dakota

Ambrose, North Dakota

Ambrose, North Dakota

Ambrose, North Dakota

Ambrose, North Dakota

Ambrose, North Dakota

Writers/Bloggers: Ghosts of North Dakota intellectual property and photo use guidelines can be found here.

Comments
8 Responses to “Still More Ambrose, North Dakota”
  1. Lynn Mickelson says:

Yeah, trees and various types of vegetation do somehow have a way of overtaking a lot of unused areas. What year did this small town hospital finally discharge its’ last patient? This was probably the envy of many small communities at one time. Oh, how time does erase something great and just keeps moving on. Some of this is so sad. But, thanks to this wonderful web site, memories are kept alive. Keep up the great work, guys.

Lynn Mickelson

2. Bev Pederson says:

It was in the early 1960′s, I think the hospital closed. Maybe even 1963? Think the hospital was being used like a nursing home back then.

3. Maxine Melgaard says:

I was born at the Ambrose hospital..(1940).. Dr. Weeks was the Doctor…. if he was the last Doctor, he left in 1941. I believe someone is living in there now or was not long ago.

4. Lois A. Smith says:

I would be curious Maxine if you would know what Dr. Weeks’s full name is?

5. Maxine Melgaard says:

Yes Lois I do, as I have a newspaper clipping from 1967 with a picture of him and his family. It was a reunion and retirement party at Baker, Montana. His name is Dr. Sam Weeks. He practiced medicine at Grenora prior to 1933, when he moved to Ambrose until 1941. If you would like a copy of the picture and write-up I will send it to you…
    I also have a copy of the hospital bill when I was born – somewhere filed away! It was $21.00 and some cents!!

6. Dash says:

Accoding to the 1962 history of ambrose, it was operating as a nursing home at that time. This was the secondlocation,having been built in the 20s replacing the hme in which the hospital was established.

Here is link to pictures of both, http://www.ambrosend.com/5-photos/old_hospital_1200.jpg

7. I was born here 1/221940.