Ringsaker Lutheran Church

Ringsaker Lutheran Church and School

Someone suggested this place to us last fall, we waited all winter to visit, and it was worth the wait.  Ringsaker Lutheran Church and School are about seven and half miles north of Cooperstown, and they’re rich in history dating back to what is claimed to be the first Christian religious service in Griggs County, in 1879 or 1880.

The site of this church and school reminded us of Sims, North Dakota — it’s a beautiful place with gently rolling hills… just spacious and appealing.

Order Ghosts of North Dakota Books

Comments
8 Responses to “Ringsaker Lutheran Church and School”
  1. chester schwartz says:

I think the farm house near the ringsaker church and school may have been owned by an Overby family at one time.

2. Claudine Hanson says:

The picture on the Ancestry article is in Trail County. That is not the same as the Ringsaker church near Cooperstown, ND. However, I expect the first settlers in both came from the Ringsaker area in Norway.

3. Eric says:

There is another Ringsaker Church in Traill county east of Buxton, ND. It has been closed for 10 years or so. It is the last remaining structure of the town of Belmont (Frog Point). It was a thriving town during the riverboat days on the Red River.

4. Shawn says:

There was yet another Ringsaker Church north east of Hastings, ND, another near ghost town which should be photographed. That Ringsaker cemetery is still there. My great-grandparents are buried there.

5. Carla says:

I like the slideshow format.

6. Grandparents – Jens & Mabel Seim Lived in Cooperstown and are buried at Ringsaker Cemetery. Loved the slideshow. Thank you! Would love to hear from anyone who knew my grandparents.

Linda M. Johnson
    Grandparents: Jens & Mabel Seim – Cooperstown

7. Marla Fogderud says:

My aunt, June Fogderud Lende, taught at the Ringsaker school. She still lives in Jamestown.

8. jordyn says:

My grandparents owned a farmstead about 2 miles north of ringsaker. Along with his father, my grandpa farmed land in that area since the early to mid 1900s. They ended up losing the farm to the bank when the hills wouldn’t produce enough crop to pay the bills. I have a few memories of being out there in the country but was too young to enjoy all of it. They moved down the road to a farmhouse before moving to the big town of cooper. He and his children and grandchildren hunted that land until he passed away this year. His parents and other family members are buried there at ringsaker. My brother and I recently took a drive around that area. Beautiful area.