Grace City, North Dakota

Grace City was on our list of places to visit when we stopped in nearby Mose and Juanita in 2004, but we headed off in pursuit of other attractions and didn’t make it to Grace City until May of 2014.

Grace City is in Foster County, about twenty minutes northeast of Carrington, and it had 63 residents as of the 2010 Census.

Grace City, North Dakota

The intersection of Main Street and N Railroad Ave has been relocated to this former pump island.

Grace City, North Dakota

This lonely, old, boarded-up church is in the hardcover book Churches of the High Plains.

See also: Mose, North Dakota
See also: Juanita, North Dakota

13 Responses to “Grace City, North Dakota”
  1. Konroy says:

My picture still hangs on the wall inside the school (last picture) on the way to the cafe. I remember the day they took a picture of all of us grade K-12 for the last year the school would be open. I was in 4th grade. Now, it has been converted into a self-storage and the old cafeteria is a small town cafe.

2. Debra says:

It just amazes me how clean all these towns are, I never see any trash around, lawns are cut and useable buildings are all nicely painted.
    I would love to visit all these places and especially this one for the small town cafe!

• Kelly O says:

I live in a small town in ND. They take their little communities very seriously and have a strong desire to keep them alive. I would imagine that not one of these towns died without a fight.

3. Dustin Hinrichs says:

My Grandpa used to own and operate the service station pictured.

4. Whitney Irmen says:

My boyfriend’s grandmother used to run the post office for a number of years. If I remember right, she raised six children in it’s one room.

5. Becky Radtke says:

I taught in Grace City for three years in the 70s, some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Chaperoned the Class of ’78 class trip to Denver–what an adventure! Fond memories.

• Rick Hilber says:

Becky. Grace City currently has an estimated 63 persons (100 back in the day you and I both taught there). The school house cafe is hosting an all school reunion today at noon. I had hopes to attend but work came first. I also have published a book of poetry this June which centers on my young adulthood and what I learned in Grace City and Foster County. Wonderful people and great memories. Rick

• Becky Radtke says:

It would have been fun to drop in on that reunion! I’m in ND right now too, but didn’t know about it. I’m in touch with John Willoughby through Facebook which has been nice. Stopped in to visit Janice Munson in the late 80s when I was working on my Masters at UND, that’s really the last contact I’ve had with anyone from Grace City. You’re right, wonderful people.

6. Loren House says:

Like the website a lot. I lived in Grace City for a short time after my birth in 1958, in the Alfstad house right where you cross the rr tracks furthest to the west. My uncles and aunts were lifelong residents of Grace City; Merlin and Katherine House, Thomas and Delores House, Raymond and Cecila House, along with many cousins. My gramma Ruth lived in a small house on the west side of town near the paved road. I spent many a day visiting relatives and waiting on Dad to get farm machines fixed at Lorris Sandvols shop (pictured), and hauling grain to the elevator(pictured). My parents were Frederick and Hazel House.

7. Bryce Nelson says:

I owned the Standard Oil gas station in Grace City in the 1960’s which was next to my father-in-law Lorris Sandvol’s garage. My gas station is pictured but Lorris Sandvol’s garage is not. Both buildings are owned by Munsons now.

8. Pam Schneider says:

Does anyone remember Tom Brown? He would have graduated in 1974 and died tragically in 1977 or 78.

• Loren House says:

I remember playing with a Tom Brown on a Sunday in early 70’s at a house outside of Grace City. The house was on the hill going up to the old radio tower immediately to the west of town. I heard that he had been killed in a construction accident in 1976 or 1977.

9. Clif Nelson says:

Does anyone know of Merle Munson is still around?…or his son,I think was Clint..I worked with these guys for Joe Mayo and sons on a paving crew in the 70’s
    My brother-in-law Boyd Busse bought Merle’s 60 Chevy Impala hardtop many years ago.
    Boyd passed away in 2008 and the Impala was sold at auction then……we had ti running and driving for the sale after it had sat for some time in a Quonset after Boyd bought it