Neuberg Church

Neuberg Congregational Church

This is Neuberg Congregational Church, in Hettinger County, rural Mott.  The church, which is quite remote, nearly 25 miles from the nearest town, was built in 1925 and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.

Neuberg Congregational Church

We visited Neuberg Congregational Church in July of 2014.  The sky was thick with haze from forest fires (in Washington, Oregon, or Canada, depending on who you ask) which lent some weirdness to the look of the sky.  The light changed by the minute.

Neuberg Congregational Church

Neuberg Congregational Church

Ghosts of North Dakota, Volume 3

Neuberg Congregational Church

Neuberg Congregational Church

There’s a somewhat common misconception about the National Register of Historic Places. Although placement on the Register does afford some prestige and protection from Federal projects, it does not impose any requirements of any kind on the land/property owner. They are free to do what they like with the property, or nothing at all, and not every property owner has the interest or the means to protect these treasured places. That’s why it’s important for regular people to get involved in historic preservation.

Neuberg Congregational Church

Neuberg Congregational Church

Neuberg Congregational Church

Must have been a big congregation. That’s a lot of biffies.

Neuberg Congregational Church

Neuberg Congregational Church

Comments
9 Responses to “Neuberg Congregational Church”
  1. Val Albrecht says:

We drove by there once several years ago and sitting on of the gravestones was a huge golden eagle. It was beautiful. Thank you for the beautiful photos of this old church.

2. alison raheem says:

Lovely photos, do you get any of the inside of the church?

3. Myra Olson says:

My great grandparents helped build this church. It served the farm families in the Burt (6 miles away) Mott and surrounding areas. A yearly service is held on Memorial day weekend but regular services haven’t been held there since the late 80 s I believe. My brother maintains the cemetary grounds where many of our families rests.

4. Ivica says:

Hi
    A am from Croatia.
    I just want to say i love this page.
    I newer was in ND but this is sprecial place for me. Dont know why.

Thanks for these pictures

5. Lynn Mickelson says:

I must also say “THANKS” for some very beautiful and meaningful new photos to an already awesome web site! You guys are doing such a great job with this! Keep it up! Yes, hopefully the public can get involved with helping to preserve this site as well as so many others that the actual property owner hasn’t the means or the interest in doing so. There are so many of these places that just don’t deserve to be lost to time and neglect.

Lynn Mickelson

6. Lori Kottre says:

I grew up about 5 miles north of this church. We went to vacation bible school here every summer, and I was in the youth group they had there. It was such a cute church and had many members. I will always remember the fun times we had there playing anti over one of the out houses during recess. I was there for a burial a few years ago and looked into the windows. It sure brought back memories. I know that if I called the owner of the property, they would probably open the doors to be able to go inside providing it would be safe. Love this place.

7. Kelsie Kirsch Myers says:

I grew up in this church. my great-grandfather is buried in the cemetary, as well as other relatives. I was married there in 1971, at a time when many young men and women chose not to marry there (no indoor plumbing, only outhouses for bathrooms), but I loved having my simple wedding in this special place.

8. Darrell Todd Maurina says:

This link from 2007 may be of some interest:

Key info: “A rural church north of both Mott and Burt in Hettinger County has been named to the National Register of Historic Places. Neuberg Congregational Church, deep in the rural countryside and about 25 miles from any town, was started in 1898 to serve as the religious and community center for Germans-from-Russia settlers in the area. The white clapboard church there now was built in 1925. The church is significant for the way it demonstrates how settlers in southwestern North Dakota used the building as a community focus and a place for passing on ethnic traditions.”